What is a good gun oil/lubricant these days?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

What is a good gun oil/lubricant these days?​

I've never found a reason to stray from Kroil along with purpose-developed gun solvents, gun cleaners and gun lubes.

Providing you keep the caps on and properly stored, they last for a long, long time.

I often shoot at indoor ranges....and prefer to have purpose-designed products on the gun when it gets heated up and cycling quickly. I'm already breathing in gun smoke & lead.....at least the gun oil may be a bit less lethal than engine products once airborne. :rofl:

Heck, the artificial sweetener in my coffee is probably gonna do me in at some point, not sure why I'm worried about vaporized gun lubes. :)

In serious response, however, I do rely on Kroil as a good initial wipe down oil and sometimes let it have a prolonged sit on stubborn areas like muzzles & cylinders. It wipes off easy and even Dan Wesson's owners manual endorses it on their Duty Finish guns. That finish is outstanding on holster wear and corrosion, but some gun lubes, such as Breakfree, can leave it with a permanently altered cloudy finish. They recommend Kroil & Weapon Shield.

I quit buying Weapon Shield. I quit babying those DW pistols and took to using the same stuff I use on everything else: Kroil & Wilson Combat Ultima Lubes (probably not much different than Lucas gun oil). So far my three DW guns with their Duty finish look fine. I figured they'd be contaminated by sharing the same holsters my other guns use....so might as well swap over.

For solvents I've always had fine results with Hoppes #9 and Butch's Bore Shine. I quit using Sweets, because I don't encounter anything where I need something that strong to deal with it.

I've also added some Montana Extreme & Boretech products that are pretty dang good but maybe not essential.

----------------------------------------------------------

Kroil, Hoppes#9 and UltimaII oil will do me just fine.

Hoppes#9 for solvent, Kroll to neutralize the solvent and wipe down and then the Wilson Combat UltimaII to lube during/after reassembly.

View attachment 1262217View attachment 1262218View attachment 1262219
Did you have a problem with Weapon Shield?

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Did you have a problem with Weapon Shield?

Nope.

No problem whatsoever.

It worked well for me.

It did seem to be a tad bit thicker than some oils, but was slick as can be.

It is great for cleaning guns during morning coffee...Weapon Shield has a cinnamon aroma....which is a pleasant change from the dank smell of Ballistol(great product in its own right..just has that stankness :rofl: ).

My reason for swapping off the Weapon Shield is that it was yet another oil that had to be kept and I only used it for the DW guns in order to avoid the "splotch". The guns were being used in holsters that probably had WC UltimaII lubes imbedded in them so it really did seem pointless to segregate the stuff.

WC UltimaII is my preferred stuff due to super results and different viscosity offerings that cover all my needs....so I rolled the DW's into the same trio of Kroil-Hoppes-Kroil-UltimaII. So far so good.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Nope.

No problem whatsoever.

It worked well for me.

It did seem to be a tad bit thicker than some oils, but was slick as can be.

It is great for cleaning guns during morning coffee...Weapon Shield has a cinnamon aroma....which is a pleasant change from the dank smell of Ballistol(great product in its own right..just has that stankness :rofl: ).

My reason for swapping off the Weapon Shield is that it was yet another oil that had to be kept and I only used it for the DW guns in order to avoid the "splotch". The guns were being used in holsters that probably had WC UltimaII lubes imbedded in them so it really did seem pointless to segregate the stuff.

WC UltimaII is my preferred stuff due to super results and different viscosity offerings that cover all my needs....so I rolled the DW's into the same trio of Kroil-Hoppes-Kroil-UltimaII. So far so good.
Ahh, ok.
I have been using it since about 2007 and have always been pleased with it so I was wondering if someone found a downside.
I use a variety. Some just seem suited to better to certain applications (maybe if nowhere else but in my head) but Weapon Shield gets the majority of use from me.
20231016_140817.jpg

HermanMerman

I still use 3 in 1

Dad always used 3 in 1. I recall him telling me it was made for sewing machines. Not sure if that’s true or not, but if it works on something that runs that hard, it should work well on a gun.

georgia_home

I’ve always used remoil, occasionally wd40. My primaries

my shooting partner gave me to small containers of some unnamed lube that he gets from folks at the aircraft mfg he use to work for. Not sure what it is, but he swears by it and it seems to work well too.

There is some hoppes around and a few different ones as backup… they don’t get used too often

Dub

looks like the mix for Ed's Red kinda
(y)

With maybe more emphasis on lube.

Ed's Red seems to lean slightly more towards cleaning. :huh:

For now I'm sticking with the WC Ultima lubes. They are working well.
Mighty convenient, too.

They are, as @doomtrpr_z71 stated, in part, Lucas gun oil mixed with other stuff. At least that what one of the MSDS sheets indicated.

Pre-mixed and ready to use with a great applicator-tipped bottle.

Jester896

Senior Clown
there is a bottle of Universal sitting here next to the Shooters Gold grease, Aeroshell, Rig, Outers Gun Oil, Rem-Oil wipes, Hoppe's #9 and the Monkey Stuff. That is just what I can reach.

Reactions: Dub