What is a good gun oil/lubricant these days?

sleepr71

Rem oil on the outside & CLP on internals. If.. it’s a semi auto that’s about to get really ran hard..I use a syringe,or Q-tip & dab a little 10w-40 Synthetic motor oil on the internals that rub a lot. I’m also not opposed to a little (thin) grease in certain wear areas. No moly grease.. that stuff will have you looking like the tin man off the Wizard of Oz..:rofl:

Last edited:

Liberty

3 in 1 used to have 0- 20 Machine Oil in the tin cans like the flagship 3 in 1 oil cans except the can was blue instead of brown and red. I liked that oil but I ain't seen none since Buckles Hardware closed.
I used 3 in 1 machine oil Daddy got me on my 870 and Marlin 60 as a youngster. Your post got me thinking, and I looked up 3 in 1. The manufacturer lists it as a 20 weight oil. The older I get, the smarter I realize Daddy always has been.

Redbow

I have used 3 in 1 oil most of my life on guns and other things as well, never had a problem with rust. MMO that was mentioned is good stuff for lots of things also, I have read where it is mostly automatic tranny fluid.

Big7

The Oracle
Marvel mystery oil. Try it on one gun, check it later.....you will stick to it. Back in the early 90's we kept our shotguns in the trunk of our car. We cleaned them every Sunday, if someone missed cleaning theirs, the humidity change and temp change would rust them bad. One shotgun was alays rust free, mine with Marvel mystery oil. Its cheap and readily available. A quart last forever seems like. I use it on my Browning even.

View attachment 1256614
Tried to get some today but they were out of quarts @$9.99 and they had pints @$7.99 but twice as much for 2 more dollars, I'll wait till they get some in the next day or two.

That's some GOOD STUFF right there. It ACTUALLY does CLEAN and LUBRICATE and prevents RUST where others claim and FAIL.

At 10 dollars a quart, it's also a good buy compared to some of the others where they are 12- 14$ for a few ounces.

Definitely the best value in a high quality product. :cheers:

doomtrpr_z71

Most gun oil is pure marketing, fire clean is canola oil, froglube is just trillium marked up to be in a camo container, it's the exact same thing as tracklube except green instead of blue, marvel mystery oil is just mineral oil, mineral spirits and a little lard. I use clp because I got a gallon of it from Amazon for 17 bucks years ago or the left over mobil 0w20 from my oil changes. If I want an oil that sticks I use permetex ultra slick engine assembly lube.

deers2ward

Depends on what is in reach. Kroil, RemOil Wipes, WD40, Hoppes #9, Hoppes Lubricating Oil, Break Free, Montana X-Treme. I've used 2 cycle oil/gas mix on some gummed up actions in the past as well. Some that have seen some pretty good action in my 40 yrs of hunting, and also some from previous generations. None have any rust and all are fully operational

jglenn

+1 on the permatex assembly lube..i use it in combination with several base oils to make slick light weight lubes. Another lube that is sticky is the original tap magic.. Mobil 1 trany fluid is a solid choice for a base lube.

Just me but I hate rem oil. Gummy

Jester896

Senior Clown
Just me but I hate rem oil. Gummy
I find that as well.

It would be nice to find 1 do it all lube. Some things should be greased in my view. G96, gun grease, CLP, frog lube, Rem Oil wipes, Rig, Ed's Red, all have their place.

Reactions: Dub

Big7

The Oracle
I have used just about everything available over the last 30+ years and still have a assortment onhand.
Once I got on to Weapon Shield around 12 years ago I use it for all internals and everything that slides and glides plus wipe downs.
I like Ballistol for wipe downs also because it is fine to use on wood and leather.
I might have to try some. A guy I follow on Youtube who is a logger uses it on various things in the bush and he swears by it. I've also read some good reviews on it for gun use since this thread. On Amazon and the like on- line outlets, it's pretty pricey. Around 23 for 16oz and 38$ if you get 2 16oz but high price don't always correlate to "good" although apparently this stuff has been around unchanged since 1904 so it stands to reason it's pretty good.

I also like it because you can get a liquid and you don't waste as much as you would a spray.18-49071-Product_Primary_Image_7cc24845-f871-44b8-96c6-8fb6e6d5e1e2_2048x.jpg

Robust Redhorse

I can rattle off at least 5 oils/cleaners/solvents, etc., if you want to make a chemistry set of tonics for all the various things you need the best tonic for.

Or you can just use Breakfree CLP on everything, and you will be fine almost all the time.

Big7

The Oracle
I can rattle off at least 5 oils/cleaners/solvents, etc., if you want to make a chemistry set of tonics for all the various things you need the best tonic for.

Or you can just use Breakfree CLP on everything, and you will be fine almost all the time.
That's one way to look at it @ $13.99 for 4 ounces or $3.497 per ounce.

That Marvel Mystery Oil is as good, some would say better @ 31.2 cents per ounce

Same for the Ballistol @ $1.437 per ounce.

But I guess it really only matters what each individual trusts and/or can afford.

Plenty of folks use SuperTech Spray from
Wall Marks so who knows. :LOL:

lampern

BreakFree CLP is sold at Walmart and will clean plenty good all the carbon and powder residue out of your barrel and chamber while also being used for lubrication

I've never seen it remove much of copper fouling though

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I bought some Dead Downwind unscented oil a couple of years ago. It’s working well.

View attachment 1256666
Me too!
Not what I use on the bench but I keep a bottle of that and a small soft rag in a plastic cup in my truck door for those wipedowns during season...
I hate going to the stand with an oily gun that's gonna get the scent on my clothes.

rosewood

I use Remoil. Never noticed it puddling or running on any of my guns, but I do wipe it off after spraying on. Never had a gun rust that I put it on and never noticed any gumming. Not say it hasn't happened, just never seen it. After a range trip, I spray Remoil in the barrel and pull a bore snake through twice. Then wipe down the other parts with a rag or paper towel with Remoil on it. I only do a good cleaning if I notice the barrel needs it then I use Hoppes #9 for a deep bore clean with bore brushes and jags.

Interesting about all of the WD-40 haters, but the owners manual for the Bond Arms derringers says to wipe them down with either WD-40 or Remoil to prevent rust.

I do have some of the Lucas Gun Lube with the needle point. It works well when lubing rails or other spots where you want a spot of lube.

Per the prevailing agreement on the S&W forum (including gunsmiths and trained factory armorers) I grease the rails on all of my aluminum frame guns. I typically use white lithium grease. I put a dab at the front of the rail and let the slide spread it.

Rosewood

rosewood

I bought some Dead Downwind unscented oil a couple of years ago. It’s working well.

View attachment 1256666
You know, Petroleum Jelly is unscented also. Little thicker, but I imagine you could wipe down the outside with a dab on a rag and get similar results for rain protection.

Rosewood

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Another vote for CLP. I did just buy some Bore Tech Eliminator. I'll still lube with the CLP after my guns are cleaned.

Big7

The Oracle
Marvel mystery oil. Try it on one gun, check it later.....you will stick to it. Back in the early 90's we kept our shotguns in the trunk of our car. We cleaned them every Sunday, if someone missed cleaning theirs, the humidity change and temp change would rust them bad. One shotgun was alays rust free, mine with Marvel mystery oil. Its cheap and readily available. A quart last forever seems like. I use it on my Browning even.

View attachment 1256614
Got a refill and fixing to do seven 22s.

Good solvent and lube. I love this stuff.

Pretty cost effective if you put it in a high quality spray bottle.
20231010_124056_HDR.jpg

Dub

What is a good gun oil/lubricant these days?​

I've never found a reason to stray from Kroil along with purpose-developed gun solvents, gun cleaners and gun lubes.

Providing you keep the caps on and properly stored, they last for a long, long time.

I often shoot at indoor ranges....and prefer to have purpose-designed products on the gun when it gets heated up and cycling quickly. I'm already breathing in gun smoke & lead.....at least the gun oil may be a bit less lethal than engine products once airborne. :rofl:

Heck, the artificial sweetener in my coffee is probably gonna do me in at some point, not sure why I'm worried about vaporized gun lubes. :)

In serious response, however, I do rely on Kroil as a good initial wipe down oil and sometimes let it have a prolonged sit on stubborn areas like muzzles & cylinders. It wipes off easy and even Dan Wesson's owners manual endorses it on their Duty Finish guns. That finish is outstanding on holster wear and corrosion, but some gun lubes, such as Breakfree, can leave it with a permanently altered cloudy finish. They recommend Kroil & Weapon Shield.

I quit buying Weapon Shield. I quit babying those DW pistols and took to using the same stuff I use on everything else: Kroil & Wilson Combat Ultima Lubes (probably not much different than Lucas gun oil). So far my three DW guns with their Duty finish look fine. I figured they'd be contaminated by sharing the same holsters my other guns use....so might as well swap over.

For solvents I've always had fine results with Hoppes #9 and Butch's Bore Shine. I quit using Sweets, because I don't encounter anything where I need something that strong to deal with it.

I've also added some Montana Extreme & Boretech products that are pretty dang good but maybe not essential.

----------------------------------------------------------

Kroil, Hoppes#9 and UltimaII oil will do me just fine.

Hoppes#9 for solvent, Kroll to neutralize the solvent and wipe down and then the Wilson Combat UltimaII to lube during/after reassembly.

tempImageaWPene.pngtempImageodPv2Y.pngmaxresdefault.jpeg