What is a good gun oil/lubricant these days?

Robert28

I’ve been using RemOil and hoppes for years to lubricate my guns with but I think I need to try something else. When I store my guns I’m noticing that sometimes the oil runs out and makes a mess. Especially on my shotguns! I thought about going to CLP or Balistol but figured I’d pick y’all’s brain first. I want a lubricant that I can use on everything from sem-auto handguns, shotguns, ar’s, revolvers. I want something that isn’t so thin and will stay where I put it when cleaning my gun. Sometimes the gun will be stored for a month or more too. Don’t want to really mess with grease.

Big7

The Oracle
Hard to beat the Rem Oil. :wink:

I like to dowse everything down good with it after a good cleaning and blow out the excess with a dry air compressor. Then wipe everything with a clean, dry cloth. If it's oozing out, you are leaving to much on there.

The general rule is oil everything that don't rub together and grease everything that rubs.

It don't take much oil to prevent rust (primary purpose) and provide some very light lubrication.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Marvel mystery oil. Try it on one gun, check it later.....you will stick to it. Back in the early 90's we kept our shotguns in the trunk of our car. We cleaned them every Sunday, if someone missed cleaning theirs, the humidity change and temp change would rust them bad. One shotgun was alays rust free, mine with Marvel mystery oil. Its cheap and readily available. A quart last forever seems like. I use it on my Browning even.

1695681662292.png

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I like 3&1 as well. I also like rem-oil wipes. Real convenient.

I wound up with a small sample of Weapon Shield with a needle applicator. Very easy to apply a tiny amount right where you want it, and it seems to stay put pretty good.

Probably re-fill it with 3&1when I use it up...lol

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Weapon Shield and Ballistol are my go-to.
I was a Rem-oil fan but noticed that long term the carrier dries up and it becomes a brown sticky mess. I had it gum up the internals of 2 revolvers.

Big7

The Oracle
Marvel mystery oil. Try it on one gun, check it later.....you will stick to it. Back in the early 90's we kept our shotguns in the trunk of our car. We cleaned them every Sunday, if someone missed cleaning theirs, the humidity change and temp change would rust them bad. One shotgun was alays rust free, mine with Marvel mystery oil. Its cheap and readily available. A quart last forever seems like. I use it on my Browning even.

View attachment 1256614
That's good stuff right there. I ran that in my Racing Go Kart crankcases- straight. NO MOTOR OIL.

I still put it in about every 3rd tank of gas too.
It'll get moisture out, condition everything rubber or plastic it comes in contact with and lubes valves and valve guides.

Good way oil for heavy machinery ways too. It won't shear, clog or gum up.

I use it on my guns sometimes too.

Last edited:

Robert28

I’ve noticed using the RemOil wipes helps greatly on the outside of my 870 that loves to rust just looking at it. I’ll keep using them to wipe down guns but I need a better oil that stays put on the internals better.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I’ve noticed using the RemOil wipes helps greatly on the outside of my 870 that loves to rust just looking at it. I’ll keep using them to wipe down guns but I need a better oil that stays put on the internals better.
I have used just about everything available over the last 30+ years and still have a assortment onhand.
Once I got on to Weapon Shield around 12 years ago I use it for all internals and everything that slides and glides plus wipe downs.
I like Ballistol for wipe downs also because it is fine to use on wood and leather.

basshappy

BANNED
@Robert28 I utilize Frog Lube products, and following their directions for use I have enjoyed good results.

Liberty

Ballistol and Lucas for preventing rust and occasional shooters. 0W-20 for the dogs that get let out of the pen a lot.

Big7

The Oracle
Ballistol and Lucas for preventing rust and occasional shooters. 0W-20 for the dogs that get let out of the pen a lot.
3 in 1 used to have 0- 20 Machine Oil in the tin cans like the flagship 3 in 1 oil cans except the can was blue instead of brown and red. I liked that oil but I ain't seen none since Buckles Hardware closed.