What kind of snake is this......

GAranger1403

Ha Ha dude, I wish we had taipans here, people would have a snake to worry about then. I have actually worked with a PNG taipan. Almost more snake than I could handle. Almost! Where did you get that pic of an Inland taipan or fierce snake as some call it.

firefighterusa

Ha Ha dude, I wish we had taipans here, people would have a snake to worry about then. I have actually worked with a PNG taipan. Almost more snake than I could handle. Almost! Where did you get that pic of an Inland taipan or fierce snake as some call it.

you are a braver man than i. i did a search . i remember what they looked like from a snake bite/hemorrage control class i took a couple of months ago.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten

Where did you get to work with canni? Any Oxyuranus are relatively uncommon in private collections.

GAranger1403

Germag, you would be suprised what is kept in private collections here in GA. We, the DNR, confiscate just about anything you can think of. While I probably will never see the coastal or the inland, australia has very strict export laws, the taipans from PNG are fairly common in the southeast. I have a friend in FLA that has 2. They are for sale on glades herp and other sites regularly.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Germag, you would be suprised what is kept in private collections here in GA. We, the DNR, confiscate just about anything you can think of. While I probably will never see the coastal or the inland, australia has very strict export laws, the taipans from PNG are fairly common in the southeast. I have a friend in FLA that has 2. They are for sale on glades herp and other sites regularly.

That must be a relatively recent development (last 20 years or so). Years ago there were a few people across the country that had canni, and maybe one or two that had scuttelatus, and only one that I ever heard of that had microlepidotus in private collections. Nobody was really all that good at getting them to breed at that time I guess, although it really shouldn't have been much more difficult than breeding Dendroaspis and a few people were successful with that. I never had the opportunity to keep or work with any of the Australian elapids. I kept plenty of African and Asian elapids, though.

I'll tell you what....I have quite a bit of experience working with fast elapids....and I'm not usually real big on restrictive laws , but I'll have to say I think it would probably bother me to know my neighbor was keeping Taipans in his bedroom. I'd want to know for sure he was properly trained, properly equipped, sober, and the animals were properly secured. And I would definitely want to know that he was required to keep an adequate supply of fresh antivenin on hand. That's something that private collectors quite often seem to overlook....the fact that the local hospital ER isn't going to stock antivenin with any titer for exotics. You're lucky if they have sufficient Crofab for a typical Eastern Diamondback envenomation.

GAranger1403

Real Snake Fer-de-lance

I have not been fortunate enough to work in the wils with any old world serpents. But have seen the most dangerous the new world has to offer. The lancehead vipers (bothrops asper) pictured below are responsible more more deaths in the Americas than all other species combined. These pics are from Costa Rica and Panama.

Attachments

• redux.jpg
    redux.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 842
  • redux2.jpg
    redux2.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 852

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yeah, B. asper and B. atrox are both dangerous critters. A 6 foot female asper can be a handful.....I think "high spirited" is a good description....

Another Central American crotalid that is a tough customer is Agkistrodon bilineatus..... difficult to handle.

Beautiful photography, by the way.

GAranger1403

Opps, did not mean to post them twice. Germag, we do not get a ton of exotic elapids, yet! Most of what gets confiscated are exotic vipers such as bitis and echis. We also get alot of bothrops, bothreisis, and rear fanged colubrids. Also alot of exotic crotalus, durisuss, atrox, ruber, veridis, etc.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Opps, did not mean to post them twice. Germag, we do not get a ton of exotic elapids, yet! Most of what gets confiscated are exotic vipers such as bitis and echis. We also get alot of bothrops, bothreisis, and rear fanged colubrids. Also alot of exotic crotalus, durisuss, atrox, ruber, veridis, etc.

Not really the best pet animals in the world. You have to wonder....if someone is keeping one of these animals illegally and you guys have to go in to confiscate it, what happens if one of you gets tagged? A bite from about any Echis or Bitis or C. durissus ssp can be rapidly fatal. Even the native U.S. species can cause a lot of physical damage even with AV therapy. It seems like the person who was keeping them illegally could be held responsible.

Nitro

Banned
The Fer De Lance is a scary one no doubt.

The one I see and have killed on my place in Costa Rica is the Bushmaster.

Only the King Cobra is larger.

Very aggressive and toxic venom. Don't attempt to handle this one.

Attachments

• bushmaster_03tfk.jpg
    bushmaster_03tfk.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 801

firefighterusa

the class i took was taught by chris harper . he really gave us some valuble info on snake bites.i i never realized that hospitols in the southeast almost never have enough anti venom on hand. thank goodness we run very few snake bites at FD or EMS but you better bet if we do they will probably get a helicopter ride if its a rattlesnake or a escape exotic .:bounce:here is his website
http://www.venomousreptiles.org/

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
The Fer De Lance is a scary one no doubt.

The one I see and have killed on my place in Costa Rica is the Bushmaster.

Only the King Cobra is larger.

Very aggressive and toxic venom. Don't attempt to handle this one.

Yeah, that's a bad boy. One interesting note about the bushmasters (Lachesis sp is that they are the only pit viper in the Americas that lays eggs.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Yeah, that's a bad boy. One interesting note about the bushmasters (Lachesis sp is that they are the only pit viper in the Americas that lays eggs.

Also have the longest fangs:hair:

swamp hunter

Snakes are just lizards without legs!! Down here in S. Fla. you never know what you,ll find. We,ve got our share of weird stuff from every where .Can,t wait to find my first cobra walking to my tree stand one dark early morning!!!