What kind of snake left this skin

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Found this in my moms barn. Roughly 6 foot. I’m thinking chicken or eat snake??IMG_1212.jpeg

Anvil Head

Usually don't need to think "poisonous" if the shed is fairly intact like that. Most pit vipers have a rougher time shedding because of the "keeled" ridge on their scales, so they come off in shredded chunks. Only found one nearly complete shed from a copper head and that was because I kept it a large aquarium while I was at UGA (us Wildlife Majors did stuff like that).
Keep in mind that the sheds can be as much as a foot longer than the actual snake. But regardless of all that, I say rat snake as well. Good one to have around the place.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Rat snake.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Usually don't need to think "poisonous" if the shed is fairly intact like that. Most pit vipers have a rougher time shedding because of the "keeled" ridge on their scales, so they come off in shredded chunks. Only found one nearly complete shed from a copper head and that was because I kept it a large aquarium while I was at UGA (us Wildlife Majors did stuff like that).
Keep in mind that the sheds can be as much as a foot longer than the actual snake. But regardless of all that, I say rat snake as well. Good one to have around the place.
You can tell for sure by looking at whether the ventral scales behind the anal vent are solid or divided.