Whatcha know bout 25-06?

280 Man

Banned
I know it's a good caliber and kills really well and I've also thought about buying one on a couple different occasions but for whatever reason they just didn't interest me enough to actually buy one!

TomC

My 243 has a special place in my heart like no other gun will. Never lost a deer with it going on 35 years. However, she's an oldy and recently modernized to a Tikka 25-06, stuck a 3x15 Burris XTR II on it........Lord Have Mercy. Super light recoil, flat shooting out to long range and hits like a HAMMER.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have a S&W 1500 in 25-06. First deer rifle. Bought it when I was 14 I think. Absolutely love it. Light recoil Had It since the mid 80’s. My dad has a browning BBR in 25-06. Had it as long. We love them. Used Winchester 120 grain positive expanding point bullets exclusively. Killed dozens of deer with them. Only time we had a problem was when we didn’t do our part. Daddy hit a buck at about 100 yards between the ribs that didn’t hit any bone and got no expansion so it ran about 200 yards. Other than that no problems at all.
If it’s in the southeast and you can’t kill it with a 25-06 it’s not the guns fault.
Personally I’d have no problem shooting up to a caribou sized critter with it

I’m sure other loads work fine but personally for deer/bear/hogs the closer to 120 grain the better IMO from what I’ve learned talking to other owners of the caliber

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
117gr. Sst hornady came before/with.
I’ll start there I suppose.
I bought it knowing about these exact type comments. Sounds perfect to me.

It's a fine cal. As long as the rifle is equipped with a heavy barrel. I dont mean a Bull barrell. I had a Remington Mountain rifle in 25.06. That rifle had a light/thin barrell on it. Once zeroed, the rifle would put the 1st round in the bull and if I didnt let it set for 30 mnts, the next few would be all over the place.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
^^^ I think like you.
Medium heavy barrel long enough but still almost a carbine too. Im hoping its just right for every deer in Ga and becomes my favorite meat grinder.

bevills1

The 25-06 is close to the 257 Weatherby Mag in velocity, and the ammo is easier to find and cost less than the Weatherby ammo. Brass is easier to come by if you reload as well. Both 270 and 30-06 brass can be used to load for the 25-06 simply by resizing in a 25-06 sizing die as well as 338-06 and 35 Whelen brass. For those last 2 calibers you may need to run them through a 30-06 sizing die first. All these calibers are simply a 30-06 case with the neck sized to a particular caliber.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
@BriarPatch99 I was gonna ask you directly. Now I definitely will when I go to reloading. It’s out for delivery today maybe.lol but with corona hampering things I may have to go get it tomorrow. Either way it’s a done deal and on its way!

LittleDrummerBoy

You leave a lot of velocity on the table with barrels shorter than 26". Mine killed tons of deer with the 100 grain NBT and 85 grain CTBST. Chasing velocity is a losing proposition, you will shorten barrel life considerably. RL22 maxes velocity, but H4831 is best for accuracy, with excellent velocity and minimum temperature sensitivity. Nosler makes good brass for it. The big three brass quality is lacking (Rem, Fed, Win).

Berger makes a hunting bullet for it (115) with a really high BC, but expansion was erratic on deer.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
It’s 24 so that where its at.
If it ain’t accurate I’ll have it recrowned.
But all around I think it fits anywhere

280 Man

Banned
Been shooting a .25/06 since late 1969 ....lost count of the deer I have killed with it. I currently shooting the 110 grain Accubond in mine ......

Get you one ....then you will know you really don't need a magnum to kill a deer.

I've been saying this for years but to each their own I suppose!

While Ive had several magnums over the years and killed piles of deer with them as well I can't tell the difference in "dead" with a "magnum" vs those easier to shoot calibers.

IMO, the only thing that makes a magnum worth having is if you need to push big bullets fast and far or you need to take the fight out of big, toothy and clawed creatures!