Whatcha know bout 25-06?

Jester896

Senior Clown
Mine is an M77VT and I can't tell you how many deer I have killed with it. It's long and heavy. Can't tell you how many times I have seen the hair fly off one with it. I have never recovered a bullet from it. I shot Hornady factory loads 117 BTSP Interlock for a long time...still have a box left from the case. Always has been <.5 with them. I started hand loading the same bullet trying to replicate the 2995 fps Hornady had and those rounds shoot .26 with IMR4831. H4831SC and RL 22 were good but in this gun it is IMR

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Never shot a 243 either.
thats on the list as a pistol barrel. Either that or a big extra long 300 wm.
The beauty of the encore is the swapping caliber and barrels.
I really appreciate the 25-06 comments and the staying on target comments. The 25-06 is probably what shot I’ve been chasing my whole life. If not the 243. The 25-06 seems to hit all the right spots I want.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
My longest deer kill was with a .25-06

328 yards on a mule deer across a canyon. But it took us 30 minutes of driving to get to him. Hornady Superformance 117 grain SST.

Love mine.
He gave me about 70 rounds of this exactly. E7995C3C-0B7D-4732-827A-E720BF0116A1.jpg

BriarPatch99

My latest .25/06(had a Win 70 24") is a Browning A-Bolt 22"(I bought new in 1987) . ..it has a fast barrel as I can get more velocity out of it with the 22" barrel with the same exact load as I could with the Win 70 24".

I am approaching 3000 rounds out of it ....and most of those have been full velocity rounds. I tend to run full velocity on most my rifle cartridges....if I want lower velocity ....I would get a smaller/slower cartridge.

I am sure that I have told this here before .....but my A-Bolt is accurate really accurate .....it did and still does have a Long chamber ... meaning that it will snap on about 1 out 10 factory rounds ...Dorn's in Macon replaced the firing pin ... still not 100% on factory. However ....I have been 100% with my reloads by sizing the brass to fit the chamber... I can now see the accuracy fading as 3/4" is about as good as I can get now days . .... But it still a deer killer !!!!

I am a slow powder user in the .25/06 ....IMR 7828 being my go to powder. I have had success with many slower powders. I can get the velocity and the accuracy with out the high pressure some of the faster powders.... My rifle has a little more recoil because it is light and my full loads .....still lighter recoil than .270 Win and up....

The one bullet that I have not been successful in getting my version of accuracy is the Barnes 80 grain TTSX .... I can get the velocity(near 3800 fps( Reloder 17) but not the accuracy I want) .....I haven't gave up yet ....1.25" is been my best so far with with that bullet.

My second favorite deer cartridge is the .243 Winchester ..... I shoot the 80 grain TTSX Barnes in it and it is a killer .....flat shooting .....accurate and deadly! Best of all it doesn't beat the "bell" out of you!!!

My longest shot with the .25/06 was 414 yards measured down a pipeline right way ..... with a good rest ....115 Nosler BT ......he never moved out his tracks.... I don't see that well any more .....

Buckstop

Prolly start loading 25-06 after these first few. That’s in part why I bought this caliber. Factory rounds don’t have the same heart and soul.

They seem to be an easy one to load for. I've shot a lot of 110 Accubonds as well as 117 Sierra Pro Hunters over RL-22 with good accuracy for both. All in a 1 in 10" twist barrel. Recently loaded up a couple ladder tests with RL-23 too, for whenever I can get to a range again.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I found an ol leupold variX II of my dads itchin to move to the 25-06. Pulled the mounts off another and hey I got almost a whole gun. The real forearm is on the way. The leupold mounts were meant to be here. Another pic win I get the other handle.

Bobby Bigtime

The 25-06 is extremely popular in eastern Montana. I have never owned one but have taken some muley bucks with them. Lost a big buck years ago because I hit too far forward and impacted mid shoulder. It was completely my fault but part of me blames the cartridge. Took a nice 26 inch buck with a friends #1 he was tucked under a juniper. He wouldn't stand and it was getting dark took him between the eyes. I jokingly refer to them as a girls 30-06.. It is a fine cartridge but I will never own one.

Tight Lines

It is one of the best all around rounds out there...it is a great shooting round that won't beat you to death...it is my go-to if I take a wood and blue weapon out, but I use my synthetic 6.5 CM more...just more practical...but that 25-06 along with my 7MM08, 270, and 300 Win Mag is one of my favorites...

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
The forearm is for another muzzleloader.
I asked for rifle so it ain’t ready yet.
I think the wood helps with the shot.
It’ll be the perfect rifle somedays.
Girls 30-06:mad::p

Tight Lines

The forearm is for another muzzleloader.
I asked for rifle so it ain’t ready yet.
I think the wood helps with the shot.
It’ll be the perfect rifle somedays.
Girls 30-06:mad::p

I have a 30-06, and a 270 WSM, and and and...the two best rounds I have, and two of the best in the US for just about any game is the 7MM08 and that 25-06. The 6.5 CM is great too, but I like those two rounds a lot...and the 300 Win Mag and the 270...but they beat you down...