When to collect persimmon scions?

weagle

There's a big persimmon on the edge of a graveyard near my property that is always loaded down with fruit. I cut these today, wrapped them in a damp cloth and put them in the fridge per youtube instructions. They look a little thinner than what I see most people using, but these were the only ones I could get that I was sure was this year's growth:

HF90GhV.png

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There's a big persimmon on the edge of a graveyard near my property that is always loaded down with fruit. I cut these today, wrapped them in a damp cloth and put them in the fridge per youtube instructions. They look a little thinner than what I see most people using, but these were the only ones I could get that I was sure was this year's growth:

HF90GhV.png
Those should work fine. I use everything from little skinny ones to faily fat ones. It helps to have a variety of sizes for grafting a variety of rootstock sizes.

Jim Boyd

Okay....

Gonna collect the scions this weekend from the best trees I know of.

Here is the next question - perhaps for @NCHillbilly

I know we wait for the green up before we graft but can we tell for sure early on which trees are male that we should graft to?

I know some of the males for sure but I did not mark them like I did the best females that I could find.

Is it possible that the trees will flower in advance of the best time to graft, which will allow sexing of the tree?

Thanks all