When to collect persimmon scions?

Jim Boyd

I am in lower SC and we have a relatively mild winter and a fairly early green up.

What is the optimum time to collect the persimmon scions?

@NCHillbilly ?

Thank you all and Merry Christmas!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually collect them about early-mid-March here. At late as I can while they're still completely dormant. They usually leaf out in late April here. I'd say earlier down there, you just don't want them to dry out. And wait until the trees are leafed out with the bark slipping good to graft them.

Cmp1

BANNED
I usually collect them about early-mid-March here. At late as I can while they're still completely dormant. They usually leaf out in late April here. I'd say earlier down there, you just don't want them to dry out. And wait until the trees are leafed out with the bark slipping good to graft them.
Whats a good reference for me to read on grafting, I tried twice on some roses, no luck,,,,?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Whats a good reference for me to read on grafting, I tried twice on some roses, no luck,,,,?
It just depends on what you're grafting, and the method you want to use. Nowadays, there is plenty of info all over the web and good Youtube videos. I'd just start googling.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be interested to try one up here,,,,
You'd probably have to put it in a sheltered area on the south side of a building like we do with figs and camellias here.

Cmp1

BANNED
It just depends on what you're grafting, and the method you want to use. Nowadays, there is plenty of info all over the web and good Youtube videos. I'd just start googling.
I used the hormone, made a slit, inserted and taped it up,,,,essentially,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I used the hormone, made a slit, inserted and taped it up,,,,essentially,,,,
Timing and cambium contact is everything with grafting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep,,,,I believe I saw one supposedly cold hardy,,,,not here,,,,
What USDA zone are you in there? We're in 6 here. They grow naturally up to about the southern MI border.

Cmp1

BANNED
What USDA zone are you in there? We're in 6 here. They grow naturally up to about the southern MI border.
They say zone 3, but in reality probably closer to zone 2,,,,now in town about 9 miles away it's a zone 3, always 4 degs Warmer there,,,,

Jim Boyd

Many thanks NCHB / sounds like mid to late February here.

I am not sure of the name of the flower but we start getting the bright yellow flowers, they grow in bunches on green stems and in small clusters - in very early March.

Our trees are not far behind that.

I have a small fridge I am gonna designate for the scions so I don’t accidentally get any cross contamination etc. They will be the only thing in there.

Appreciate it - will def wait for good green up on the male trees.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Many thanks NCHB / sounds like mid to late February here.

I am not sure of the name of the flower but we start getting the bright yellow flowers, they grow in bunches on green stems and in small clusters - in very early March.

Our trees are not far behind that.

I have a small fridge I am gonna designate for the scions so I don’t accidentally get any cross contamination etc. They will be the only thing in there.

Appreciate it - will def wait for good green up on the male trees.
Carolina jessamine.

I usually store them in bundles in ziplock bags, wrapped in a damp paper towel or two with all the water you can squeeze out squoze. If they stay too wet, they'll mold and rot. If they dry out, they won't take.

Jim Boyd

Carolina jessamine.

I usually store them in bundles in ziplock bags, wrapped in a damp paper towel or two with all the water you can squeeze out squoze. If they stay too wet, they'll mold and rot. If they dry out, they won't take.

Yessir - thanks again - exactly what I read. Said if they start to mold you can wash them off - light vinegar solution if I recall. Have the article printed off.

What I am not sure of is my scion harvesting. All I have are wild trees from which to harvest. I marked about 15 females that had good fruit but I think some folks have used scions from other types or perhaps more proven types.

Gonna reach out to a local tree farm and see if they will provide / sell some scions.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yessir - thanks again - exactly what I read. Said if they start to mold you can wash them off - light vinegar solution if I recall. Have the article printed off.

What I am not sure of is my scion harvesting. All I have are wild trees from which to harvest. I marked about 15 females that had good fruit but I think some folks have used scions from other types or perhaps more proven types.

Gonna reach out to a local tree farm and see if they will provide / sell some scions.
Just remember that you use only last year's growth. I have some access to scion wood from some cultivars like Meader and Yates when I do the winter pruning on them, so that's what I usually use. Heavier crops, and bigger, sweeter, fruit. If you can ever get ahold of some and get them grafted, you can cut scions next year off the ones you grafted this year.

weagle

Do any of the Nurseries sell Persimmon Scions? I have tons of wild persimmons but very few really good producers. I'd like to get some Meader or other scions to graft so that I have some variety and hopefully a lot more fruit.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do any of the Nurseries sell Persimmon Scions? I have tons of wild persimmons but very few really good producers. I'd like to get some Meader or other scions to graft so that I have some variety and hopefully a lot more fruit.
Yes, you can find them online sometimes.

alwayslookin

I think I am going to try it this year...have the perfect spot and trees to graft em to.

We have some trees on the lease that produced really good last year but it's sporadic it seems. However, a guy in our lease from bama has one in his yard that produces heavily every year...gonna ask him to cut some scions from his tree.

Jim Boyd

Almost time to harvest in my area I think.

Weeds have taken off, for sure.