White Bass (and others) Thread 2024

ryork

Fished about five hours today. Water temp was down to 51 degrees. Not sure if that slowed the white bass bite but something did. Still managed to catch quite a few but the numbers were down as was the overall size. We did find one spot where the yellow bass were stacked up and caught doubles consistently for a while. Highlight of the day for me was that big ole spot and a small striper on light tackle. Didn’t keep any whites today, kept a limit of yellows each. That little lizard has took up residence in my boat along with some of his friends for a year or so, they make an appearance every trip.

464A020A-DD7C-4745-A29D-811DF304DDBE.jpeg38E83457-4A21-4F86-BEA3-D0E4C0D76722.jpegBAD6A9A5-AA81-450D-A85E-47C801B8D21E.jpegD5036F33-C90A-4DD6-9E3D-D7C403FB3E27.jpeg789BE934-A01D-4C40-B4EB-A08E0280ED38.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Fished about five hours today. Water temp was down to 51 degrees. Not sure if that slowed the white bass bite but something did. Still managed to catch quite a few but the numbers were down as was the overall size. We did find one spot where the yellow bass were stacked up and caught doubles consistently for a while. Highlight of the day for me was that big ole spot and a small striper on light tackle. Didn’t keep any whites today, kept a limit of yellows each. That little lizard has took up residence in my boat along with some of his friends for a year or so, they make an appearance every trip.

View attachment 1295178View attachment 1295179View attachment 1295180View attachment 1295181View attachment 1295182
That’s one beautiful spot and I like your fishing partner !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Any action at the little river in Woodstock? Been going every week since the beginning of March and haven’t caught any white bass. I may have just missed it by accident, but thought I’d ask just in case. This will be the 4th year I’ve missed the spawn. Any pointers on other land based spots for white bass?

ryork

Any action at the little river in Woodstock? Been going every week since the beginning of March and haven’t caught any white bass. I may have just missed it by accident, but thought I’d ask just in case. This will be the 4th year I’ve missed the spawn. Any pointers on other land based spots for white bass?

I don't know much of anything about Allatoona, have heard the white bass run there isn't what it used to be due to the introduction of bluebacks. Lock and Dam Park west of Rome can be a good place to fish from shore. Can fish from the lock or from the bank just downstream. Folks catch crappie from the lock as well. Would come during the week if you can. A significant rain can blow it out for several days, always good to check the gauge readings online. There are some nice piers and bank access on the TN River behind Chickamauga and Nickajack Dams if you want to drive a little further.

Richf7

You haven’t missed the Little River spawn. I don’t know if it’s the weather or the bluebacks (most likely) but they haven’t moved up the river in any number for at least three years. Nobody I’ve seen has much luck there either.

I have friends that have had some good days in the last couple years on little river and etowah for white bass. I think it's still early there - I went yesterday and didn't find any fish yet but a couple people had caught a white bass here and there. Give it 1-2 more weeks IMO

Burton

I'm thinking maybe I need to target the white bass this year before the water clears up. I caught a few last year while bass fishing throwing a rage swimmer on a 1/4 ounce head.

A couple questions:

1) So what are some good baits for white bass?

2) If the water is very muddy, does that impact them like it does the bass? The river is almost useless when it's super muddy for bass fishing.

I noticed I caught some on April 2 and April 21. I'm fishing the Saluda River in SC.

Pics from last year:

IMG_20230421_140025536_HDR.jpgIMG_20230421_140111750_HDR.jpgIMG_20230402_153401080_HDR.jpg

Great thread everyone and thank you all for sharing. I plan to make my first white bass trip this year in a few years to the Coosa River. Planning to launch out of Brushy Branch and work my way up to the Mayo Dam as we have done in previous years targeting creek mouths, sand bars, and eddies. Probably will not get out there until the last week of 03/29 - 03/30. I will report back on how we do. Hopefully, the Rapala Shad Rap and Berkley Flicker Shad #7 in fire tiger is still the ticket for them. Happy fishing everyone.
Heading out there to the Coosa and launching out of Brushy Branch on Friday 02/29 and Saturday 02/30. I will post back how bad or good we do.

I have friends that have had some good days in the last couple years on little river and etowah for white bass. I think it's still early there - I went yesterday and didn't find any fish yet but a couple people had caught a white bass here and there. Give it 1-2 more weeks IMO
When I use to fish it a few years back it didn't get good until April and May in the past. I think it's still the same thing there.

campboy

I'm thinking maybe I need to target the white bass this year before the water clears up. I caught a few last year while bass fishing throwing a rage swimmer on a 1/4 ounce head.

A couple questions:

1) So what are some good baits for white bass?

2) If the water is very muddy, does that impact them like it does the bass? The river is almost useless when it's super muddy for bass fishing.

I noticed I caught some on April 2 and April 21. I'm fishing the Saluda River in SC.

Pics from last year:

View attachment 1295899View attachment 1295900View attachment 1295901

When I get home from work I'll try to answer some of your questions

campboy

@Burton as far as lures go I throw any shad imitation. Small crank baits, rooster tails, white jigs, chartreuse jigs, etc. Muddy water slows the bite way down. Stained water is a different story. I’ve caught hundreds in stained water

campboy

I talked to a DNR biologist on Monday. They had been shocking on the Coosa. He said white bass are everywhere. They even shocked up a few 10+ stripers near the lock