Who has experience with dens? What do you think

I've found plenty of beds in the past but I'm still new with dens. They are much harder to find, for obvious reasons. From what I've seen, the biggest indicator of how active a winter bed is, is how many piles of scat are around. This log has 3.

Im in the middle of a big burn with several beds all around. There's an enormous amount of fall bear sign around the edges of this thicket.

At first glance I noticed this log has leaves stuffed in all the cracks and openings, sealing it off completely from the elements. There's even a pile of scat on top of the leaves in the crack. I don't see how this can just be a deposit from wind, there are sticks mixed in with the leaves making me think it is intentional.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with log dens, does this seem like common behavior? What do you think? I know the only way to know for sure is to hang a camera over it but I forgot to bring one on this trip I'll be back regardless to do that

Attachments

• IMG_20230211_143142.jpg
    IMG_20230211_143142.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20230211_160856.jpg
    IMG_20230211_160856.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20230211_143305.jpg
    IMG_20230211_143305.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20230211_143257.jpg
    IMG_20230211_143257.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20230211_143223.jpg
    IMG_20230211_143223.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20230211_143207.jpg
    IMG_20230211_143207.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20230211_143151.jpg
    IMG_20230211_143151.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 82

jbogg

I have no experience finding dens, but I am really interested to hear what your camera ends up telling you. Cool pics!

Boy did I have an experience with my first den in the Chattahoochee National forest area a few days ago collecting cards from my cameras and going in a new shorter route I have found on the On X app and wanted to check out. Got out of the truck headed down the hill to a stream started up my new hill up over a saddle and mid way up kept hearing what sounded like a bird calling/dying or a baby almost crying. For the life of me could not see anything in the direct area of the sound because it was very laurel filled and steep terrain as I was on one leg hire then the other terrain making my way up to the bowl up top. Mid way I approached the sound and had kinda payed no mind to it anymore cause I thought it was just a hurt bird or some other small animal. I got up next to a downed tree root about five yards to my right and the root ball had been dug out and a hole the size of 3 feet or so ,was dark and the the sound was coming out of there. Next thing I know the sound got louder and then multiple screams or yells and then all I could see was mommas head and body block the hole. And turn directly towards me. Needless to say I was in between a steep hill now at a 45 degree angle and this hole and momma staring me down. And it was a cold morning so all I saw was her face / body/ and the air being blown out of her mouth.let’s just say I slowly stepped up this hill away as slow and gently as I could in this laurel and put 10 yards and thankfully further away and was able to get out of the scenario unscathed. I told my wife once I got to the top and had service I thought I was gonna be a statistic this time around early scouting new routes into my hunting area. They for sure are having little ones in them hills as we speak right now. Just had to share my den experience because that’s the first for me. Stream at the bottom/ half way up behind a root ball in a hole/ on steep terrain with a bowl/ saddle at the top.

jbogg

Boy did I have an experience with my first den in the Chattahoochee National forest area a few days ago collecting cards from my cameras and going in a new shorter route I have found on the On X app and wanted to check out. Got out of the truck headed down the hill to a stream started up my new hill up over a saddle and mid way up kept hearing what sounded like a bird calling/dying or a baby almost crying. For the life of me could not see anything in the direct area of the sound because it was very laurel filled and steep terrain as I was on one leg hire then the other terrain making my way up to the bowl up top. Mid way I approached the sound and had kinda payed no mind to it anymore cause I thought it was just a hurt bird or some other small animal. I got up next to a downed tree root about five yards to my right and the root ball had been dug out and a hole the size of 3 feet or so ,was dark and the the sound was coming out of there. Next thing I know the sound got louder and then multiple screams or yells and then all I could see was mommas head and body block the hole. And turn directly towards me. Needless to say I was in between a steep hill now at a 45 degree angle and this hole and momma staring me down. And it was a cold morning so all I saw was her face / body/ and the air being blown out of her mouth.let’s just say I slowly stepped up this hill away as slow and gently as I could in this laurel and put 10 yards and thankfully further away and was able to get out of the scenario unscathed. I told my wife once I got to the top and had service I thought I was gonna be a statistic this time around early scouting new routes into my hunting area. They for sure are having little ones in them hills as we speak right now. Just had to share my den experience because that’s the first for me. Stream at the bottom/ half way up behind a root ball in a hole/ on steep terrain with a bowl/ saddle at the top.

I’m sure the pucker factor was high, but that’s a cool experience.

Most definitely was. It was instant once I caught visual of her big round head. You could tell she was fattened up for the winter months still and she had blocked the hole to protect the young ones in there once she realized I was there. I must of stirred her up trying to smack some thorns out of my path and she was moving in the den and that’s why the small ones were making the noise being shuffled around as I was making my way up to the downed tree. I don’t think I’ve ever walked so slow and breathed so slow in my life. Very cool experience but won’t be back up through that direction until Turkey season to not disturb the den and will hopefully be out of there by then.

chrislibby88

Look like this empty one I found back in Sept?

Attachments

• 0E7A693B-3B57-4FD4-B0E5-630B261B722C.jpeg
    0E7A693B-3B57-4FD4-B0E5-630B261B722C.jpeg
    477.7 KB · Views: 37
Yes almost identical to that one. This root ball was probably about 8 ft around but same setup hole directly underneath like that. Gives them great cover that’s for sure!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It will surprise you where they will den sometimes. I've seen several over the years spend the winter up against the rootball of a blowdown tree. This one laid right here in the spot I took her pic from late December to early March, and had two cubs in the meantime:

bear1.jpg