Why is a 28g shotgun illegal for deer?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Apparently only one executive order from Governor Kemp would do.:rofl:
I would shoot an entire box of last years regulation magazines and video how deep my slug penetrates each time.
And how buckshot and enough powder works regardless of gauge.
I could then corner the market on 28gauge slugs for awhile.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Whatever reason a 28 gauge is not legal, its because the DNR has a reason(s) for not wanting it legal

I guarantee you the weapons restrictions in the law were written by the DNR or with DNR support

In about 1950

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Anybody ever been given a ticket for killin a deer with something ort not have? Seems like a fella would have to go way out of his way to get caught.

across the river

It is amazing to me that considering the hundreds of different weapons that one can legally use to kill a deer that people still moan and complain about the ones you can't use. Considering a quick glance through this forum during deer season will typically reveal multitude of "I shot him through the heart, but can't find him. What do I do?" threads, it should be very obvious that many people can't hit where they aim with a high powered rifle. Therefore I don't question why they would want to prevent people from shooting them with a 28 gauge or 410. I'm the last person you will ever here advocate for more laws, but this one doesn't really bother me.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I hit a duck in the neck with a rock a hundred years ago as a young boy.
Dropped it and broke it’s neck. That hit home real good on my conscious.
Haven’t shot or harmed a duck since. But we do eat duck.
Growing up on a private pond the ducks were basically my pets.
I was just plain mean that day.
So I sunk it with a barbell weight to hide it and that haunted me for years as well.
Still does. Not big into going duck hunting because of it.

lampern

Except Florida, Alabama and the Carolinas get along fine with allowing 28 gauge shotguns for deer

Its seems though Georgia has gotten along just fine with the current restrictions

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Send me a slug lampern if you have them I’d love to shoot one and compare it to mine.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Except Florida, Alabama and the Carolinas get along fine with allowing 28 gauge shotguns for deer

Its seems though Georgia has gotten along just fine with the current restrictions

After the law was rewritten in the early 2000’s/late 1990’s there’s Very few guns that are illegal to shoot a deer with. The shotgun minimum (20 gauge) wasn’t changed For whatever reason —probably because no one asked—so a 410 and 28 are still illegal to deer hunt with. Though both would certainly kill a deer with a slug. I know for a fact a 410 slug will kill one dead as a hammer. But then so will a .22 magnum

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE

Don't have a 28.

Sorry

You might as well let sleeping dogs lie
No way, my cousin has some deerland in Alabama. So there is always my out there. I really don’t care to change the law, I just want that notch on my 28.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
What about Missouri?
I got a relative that recently bought a buncha land up there in the middle of nowhere.

across the river

After the law was rewritten in the early 2000’s/late 1990’s there’s Very few guns that are illegal to shoot a deer with. The shotgun minimum (20 gauge) wasn’t changed For whatever reason —probably because no one asked—so a 410 and 28 are still illegal to deer hunt with. Though both would certainly kill a deer with a slug. I know for a fact a 410 slug will kill one dead as a hammer. But then so will a .22 magnum

As will a regular rimfire 22 and a load of #2 steel shot for intended for ducks, though they are probably not ideal. There just isn't any real reason to add more calibers. For those of you wanting to give the 28 a try though, they do make them, though not common.

https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/brenneke-slugs-sl282m-gauge-slug-shot-rdbx-p-122571.html