Why is a 28g shotgun illegal for deer?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ve found it to be quite capable of wreaking havoc with handloads and slugs and shall I say buckshot.
Growing up I thought a 410 was legal for deer but now finding slugs for either is impossible unless you load your own.
Can someone tell me when 28 gauge was legal and who shot deer with it.
Pm me if you want to know what slug is compatible with 28g. I wish I had a factory slug to compare abilty to my load in 28g.
I can use a 380 but not a 28gauge slug or buckshot for deer?facepalm:
A shotgun is a shotgun is a shotgun.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Because the law says it is. No real reason otherwise in today’s era. That law was written probably 60 years ago and that part of it hasn’t been changed
There’s 410 slugs on midway USA saw some at academy too

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I understand sling shots can’t kill a rabbit a 410 can’t kill a deer anymore and a 28g with buckshot or slugs won’t penetrate steel but I’ve seen it happen and believe.
#freeshotgunsandslingshots

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
In 60 years I have never seen the ammo. At least 16 ga was still on the shelf a few years back.
Wow I had no idea it had been that long.
Makes my slugs more special now.
50 yards is about all I’ve tested but it will knock a piece of firewood back several feet.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
If 410 is not legal for deer but was in the early 80’s when did the law change for 410 and 28?
Anybody got a slug 28g?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
At the request of the DNR

Laws don't get very far without DNR support
I think I read where 28g slugs were not selling well in the 60’s and slug production ceased and such a law was then passed due to those current Shotshells not having enough powder for deer.
I can make one almost as strong as a max twelve gauge load.
Bluedot and pure lead. Not much difference than a muzzleloader either.

DSGB

I killed my first deer with a .410 slug - in Alabama.

My cousin and daughter did, too, using the same gun - NEF single shot.

I wish I still hunted over there, so my son could use it to kill his first deer.