Why so much Scriptural emphasis on Christ's return?

Artfuldodger

I mean look how many are already in the grave. Chances are we will be as well. Yet much of that emphasis seemed to point to a more imminent return or warning like hiding in the mountains.
Plus not only to be physically ready but spiritually as well. Then we have songs about working until Jesus comes and we'll be carried home. Used to be white signs with red letters warning us of Christ's return.

Now it seems like the emphasis is to die and go straight to Heaven or Hades. Look at all the generations now dead in the ground that were waiting on the return of Christ. We still talk about like we think it will happen in our life time.

It just gets a bit confusing at time of of why one would want Christ to hurry up and get here. What am I missing about this concept?

Artfuldodger

Remember that one Preterist we had on the forum. It got so confusing to him he just started believing the "End" had already came.

Artfuldodger

I wonder if these older hymns pointed to Soul Sleep as they seem to have a theme of waiting on Christ's return.

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration
And then proclaim, my God, how great Thou art

We’ll work till Jesus comes,
And we’ll be gathered home.

So we wait
We wait for You
God we wait
You're coming soon
So we wait
We wait for You
God we wait
You're coming soon

When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound and time shall be no more
And the morning breaks eternal bright and fair
When the saved diverse shall gather over on the other shore
And the roll is called up yonder, I'll be there

O the King is coming
The King is coming
I just heard the trumpets sounding
And now His face I see
O the King is coming
The King is coming
Praise God, He's coming for me

'Cause I'll come again!
Ain't no power on earth can keep me back!
Yes, I'll come again;
Come to take My people back

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
I remember singing many of those growing up!

My initial thought is many are just weary with the hardness and evil of life. But I don’t think weariness is the right motivation.

Galatians 6:9
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

2 Thessalonians 3:13
As for you, brothers, do not grow weary in doing good.

Hebrews 12:3
Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.

Revelation 2:3
I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary.

But this also:

Amos 5
18 Woe to you who desire the day of the Lord! Why would you have the day of the Lord? It is darkness, and not light,
19 as if a man fled from a lion, and a bear met him,or went into the house and leaned his hand against the wall, and a serpent bit him.
20 Is not the day of the Lord darkness, and not light, and gloom with no brightness in it?

Doesn’t sound like we should desire it.

Also written about 90AD,

Revelation 22
12 “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”
14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.” 17 The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.

So it seems we should say, “Come Lord Jesus”.
And there is this:

2 Peter 3
8 But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

So you see Jesus is not returning until He has all of His own!

For me, I think the best approach is to long for Jesus, don’t grow weary, don’t ask for the end because it is the terrible end for everyone unsaved, and remember God is in ‘harvest, mode!

God Bless!

Last edited: