WMA advice

captainc0x

Hey guys, I am lookin at goin to Joe Kurz a few times this year and was wondering if anyone has any advice. The best thing I figured I would do is try and go during the week when it is not as crowded. Any advice will help, like good spots or what to look for. First year I have not had anywhere to hunt other than the limited woods on my property.

Also does anyone know if any actual maps of the WMA are available anywhere? I also heard there were some places around West Point Lake to bow hunt, I think it is CORE property. Anyone know anything about that either?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
Joe Kurz..........

try to get remote..........backside of the big swamp, where it's real thick, is a good start.............make sure ya look RIGHT behind the campground. ;) :cheers: ..........good luck........ :)

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Yes there is a ton of land run by the US Corp. Of Engineers at West Point. You have to get a $10 permit (already got mine). There are right at 6000 acres in Georgia. I don't now of any other land you can hunt that cheap. You are restricted to shotguns (slug), bows, and Primitve weapons depending on where you are. NO RIFLES!

A good majority of the land you can only get to by boat. There are some really good spots if you get away from the crowds.

7Mag Hunter

WMA Advice

Captaincox,
Try to get your hands on an Oconee Natl Forest map, then
PM me and I can steer you to some good spots...I have
hunted around Monticello and Eatonton areas for over
20 years, and know some good places where you can
start...Several campgrounds, and you can also "primitive"
camp anywhere in NF land...

Good Luck
7mag hunter

Harvester

My 2 spots

If yer coming from Gay, go past the camp/sign in until you get before the bridge, There is a small, narrow field on left, go to NE corner and there was a trail that led me to the bottoms there. Also past the bridge on the right was a rd that ended in the woods with a log across it but that was Joe Kurz first year. BIG bottoms there and lots of sightings and can get lost. I got a map sent to me via postal service then. Still there is lots of great areas.

Anyone know if Rob Bartlett is managing that WMA?