Wolves in squirrels?

bnew17

yeah, they are called wolves and like many people have said so far they are about as nasty lookin thing as you can find. i killed a squirrel in early season 4 years ago and went to clean it and almost ralphed.

DSGB

crokseti

Dont let a bot fly bite ya, or you'll get one too.
Saw some guy on t.v. had one on his belly and tried to raise it. He eventually didnt have the stomache for it tho.

I always heard of them as "wolves" and don't hunt prior to first frost.

ditto.

Tell me the squirrels are safe to eat all you want to, I'm not eating them.

Never let the facts triumph over well founded prejudice.

GrlsHnt2

I have heard of them. The first frost kills them off and then they are safe to eat. My husband won't even hunt them before frost b/c he says they still have wolves in them and you can't eat them. I don't know if you really can't eat them at that time, but I wouldn't want to!

wandering cowboy

I've always heard em called wolves but the wife says they are warbles. ( she ain't from around heyah). We had a cat that recently had one.
Nathan

Goose 15

They look like a cross between a grub worm and a maggot.They attach to the outer skin of squirrels.They die off on the first freeze.

Mr. Fishunt

Wolves

If you guys really want to be disgusted, do a Google search on the "human botfly larvae".
The stories and pictures are not for the squeamish.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

wandering cowboy

My MIL's cat has one. How did you get rid of it?

:rofl:

we actually pulled the wolve out with tweezers and then doctored the area. It was something you'd probably not want to do just before or just after dinner! LOL
Nathan

P

potsticker

I kept telling you guys that the dnr released red wolves in ga. in the 70's.

When I was young, my Dad an I went squirrel hunting a lot. The season typically opened around the 15th of September so we made quite a few hunts early in the fall.

A lot of the squirrels we shot had lumps under the skin and, when we dressed our game, an ugly gray worm would be found to be causing the lump. I asked my Dad what these worms were called and he said "wolves". I asked him why the squirrels we killed later in the season didn't have "wolves" and he said the frost killed them.

I've since learned these are the larvae of the bot fly. The larvae leave the squirrel and fall to the ground to complete their life cycle.

My question is - Has anybody else heard of these larvae refered to as "wolves"?

:huh:

Yes that is what we called them. I have seen them when I used to rabbit hunt in Coweta County. We found some on rabbits. I am not sure if the frost kills them though. It was pretty dang cold when we were killing rabbits.

They don't infect waterfowl do they?

heyfuji

I know up north alot of small game has them until the first frost, up there they called them Warbles

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wolves in Squirrels

"I know up north alot of small game has them until the first frost, up there they called them Warbles."

Down south, "Warbles" are the little gray songbirds that visit my feeder daily. :bounce:

"First frost" has nothing to do with their disappearance. They have a life cycle just like every other creature. When their larval stage of the cycle is complete, they depart the host animal, fall to the ground, bury into the soil where they pupate until hatching as adults.

It just so happens that the ending of the larval stage coincides with the arrival of cold weather.

Jayrod

I usually don't squirrel hunt before November because of the wolves in the squirrels.

Most of our cows would get them in their back during the summer...we'd put their head in a vice(you know a cow holder thing-a-majig) and put a coke bottle top side down over where the wolf was... hit the bottom of the bottle with the palm of our hand and the wolf would shoot up into the bottle....kind of gross huh...then we'd pour turpinetine into the hole to prevent infection. The cows didn't like that a bit:huh: Once had a cat get one in his nose... by the time we got around to getting it out, it had eaten away the membrane between the nostrils...made for a funny looking cat, but he lived a long happy life afterwards.

Jayrod