World War Two

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Watching the history channel last night and the topic was the naval battle for Guadalcanal, where the Japs sent their powerful navy to recapture the island.
Didn't know the cruiser or destroyer Atlanta was there and took quite a beating, partly from the japs mostly from the sister ship USS San Francisco, who mistakenly landed a 14 shot barrage on the Atlanta while shooting back at the japs.
one of the best books ever written about the Guadalcanel naval battles.
91n-vJbO9EL._SL1500_.jpg

westcobbdog

It's also where all 5 of those Sullivan brothers died, 4 on their ship in an attack one in the water later died by shark attack. The fact that any manned American ship can go down and no ships are timely dispatched to recover survivors blows my mind.

westcobbdog

Tough fighting at night, Japs were good at it. The Atlanta was an antiaircraft cruiser, probably shouldn't have been there but when you are ship limited you use what you have. We sank her the same day. We lost Admiral Scott on the Atlanta. Admiral Callaghan was killed the same night on the San Francisco.
I bet Callahan grieved inwardly or outwardly over landing 14 shots on the Atlanta and killing Americans, only to later be killed himself. The description I read of the jap battleship with huge 14" guns being do close its shots went harmlessly over head is unreal.

Resica

It's also where all 5 of those Sullivan brothers died, 4 on their ship in an attack one in the water later died by shark attack. The fact that any manned American ship can go down and no ships are timely dispatched to recover survivors blows my mind.
I think there are a lot of variables involved. Around Guadalcanal our limited fleet was getting hammered, less I believe after Halsey took over from Ghormley but we were limited with ships. It was much different by 44. They were doing what they could to pick up survivors but also knew they needed to withdraw before daylight. Concern of submarines was also an issue. The perils of war.

Resica

I bet Callahan grieved inwardly or outwardly over landing 14 shots on the Atlanta and killing Americans, only to later be killed himself. The description I read of the jap battleship with huge 14" guns being do close its shots went harmlessly over head is unreal.
I read that most of the San Francisco's 8 inch rounds that hit the Atlanta passed right through without detonating. The armor on the Atlanta was less than a typical Light Cruiser, being a Anti aircraft cruiser. She had 16 5" all purpose guns. She was more like a bulked up destroyer. Her best effort would have been providing air defense for our carriers but desperate times call for desperate measures. She was a beautiful ship!!

Glenn2399

A causeway is like a high bit of land or road that runs through a marsh/swamp/wet area

the one area vehicles can use because the marsh ground is too mushy to support traffic. Natural or man made.

Example . The roads that run from the main land to the barrier islands along the coast or like south Florida. has the roads across the glades Naples to Miami

The germans flooded many areas around Normandy to restrict traffic and invasion routes. easier to ambush and drop fire on traffic. And choke points. And if you held them you could move while the other guy was limited
Thanks

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Halsey made a strategic decision after Pearl Harbor. He sent the heavy ships back to patrol and defend the west coast. His bold plan was to rely on the carriers and lighter ships to defeat the Japanese navy. Gutsy move in his situation.

Resica

Halsey made a strategic decision after Pearl Harbor. He sent the heavy ships back to patrol and defend the west coast. His bold plan was to rely on the carriers and lighter ships to defeat the Japanese navy. Gutsy move in his situation.
That probably would have been Nimitz or even King and the Joint Chiefs, but we were low on warships and lost ,any in the 42 around Guadalcanal.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That probably would have been Nimitz or even King and the Joint Chiefs, but we were low on warships and lost ,any in the 42 around Guadalcanal.
I misspoke it as Nimitz, he was tasked with the Pacific strategy and that was the plan.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
On Yap there was the remains of zeros all in a row. The story went an F-4 caught them on the ground parked aligned. Put them all out of action straffing them. Pic in my memorabilia of me sitting in a shot up hulk of a zero.

Timberman

Nice thread brings back many memories.

My father joined the Army Air Corp when he graduated high school in 1941. They needed pilots badly so they sent him to flight school as an enlisted man and he graduated as a Sergeant Pilot. He did 50 combat missions in North Africa in P-40’s and P-47’s, scoring 4 kills. He was sent home and married my mom in early ‘44. He was then sent to the Philippines where he finished the war flying P-51’s. The Japanese air forces were nearly depleted by that time so there was very little air combat. Most of his missions were strafing convoys, trains and such. He was then stationed in northern Japan after the war for a time. He retired as a Major in 1964. Here’s a few pics of him.

IMG_0406.jpegIMG_0407.jpegIMG_0409.jpegIMG_0408.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Nice thread brings back many memories.

My father joined the Army Air Corp when he graduated high school in 1941. They needed pilots badly so they sent him to flight school as an enlisted man and he graduated as a Sergeant Pilot. He did 50 combat missions in North Africa in P-40’s and P-47’s, scoring 4 kills. He was sent home and married my mom in early ‘44. He was then sent to the Philippines where he finished the war flying P-51’s. The Japanese air forces were nearly depleted by that time so there was very little air combat. Most of his missions were strafing convoys, trains and such. He was then stationed in northern Japan after the war for a time. He retired as a Major in 1964. Here’s a few pics of him.

View attachment 1293256View attachment 1293262View attachment 1293263View attachment 1293264
Thanks for posting, that is very cool.

georgia_home

the uss New Jersey is on the move. With the anssistance of 4 tugs. Even she is trying to escape the namesake state… heading to Philadelphia naval shipyard, the old nostalgic home and builder of many old warriors.

picture of video …

IMG_2912.jpeg