Youth sleep system

huntfishwork

My son wants to start tent camping. I’ll take recommendations for the entire setup but specifically looking to purchase a youth sleeping setup bag and pad. Temps won’t be any colder than 30’s or 40’s. Been looking at the 2 man lynx tent from Alps Mountaineering.

NCMTNHunter

How old/big is he? Are you looking at backpacking some distance or keeping it close to the truck?

When kids are small it doesn’t take as much of a pad to keep them comfortable but it takes a little more sleeping bag to keep them warm.

If you are not planning on packing much distance you can buy quality stuff for a better price because you’re not factoring in weight of the gear.

huntfishwork

How old/big is he? Are you looking at backpacking some distance or keeping it close to the truck?

When kids are small it doesn’t take as much of a pad to keep them comfortable but it takes a little more sleeping bag to keep them warm.

If you are not planning on packing much distance you can buy quality stuff for a better price because you’re not factoring in weight of the gear.
Just turned 7 years old, 4’4” tall, growing every day

There will definitely be some wandering but for the most part because of his age we’ll stick close to the truck. If we go with another adult we could definitely put some miles on. I would like to have something lightweight to give him if possible. He has a little brother so I don’t mind buying quality once if two can get some use out of it. Google has already given me sticker shock so I thought I would ask here since I’m not an experienced camper.

GT90

Good to hear your young son wants to get out in the "wild". It seems like most nowadays want to sit at home on the video game or phone.

In regards to a sleep system I would give you this advice as a 10 year Boy Scout Leader...make him comfortable. No one has a good time when they are cold all night long and can't sleep. Makes young folks not want to do it again. I usually purchase gear from REI, Campmor or Alps. Your son is at the height where he is on the edge of kid bag vs. adult bag. Get an adult bag he can grow into. My son used a Kelty bag early on and it worked well for him. Get a bag that is rated 10 degrees cooler than you think you will need. If the weather ever turns bad you have a temp cushion. As for a pad how careful is your son with his equipment? A closed cell foam pad is easy to use (rolls out) and can take some abuse. A blow up pad is more comfortable but obviously can be punctured.

You can do a lot to help with comfort if you pay attention to your clothing. Always put on a fresh, dry pair of socks when you get in the sleeping bag. Those white cotton socks kids wear may feel dry after a day in the woods but they are not. Cold feet equals cold body. If it is cold, lose fitting clothing in layers helps. Sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt allow warm air to be trapped close to the body. I wear a stocking cap or beanie on cold nights. A hoodie would work also.

Tents are a whole different discussion and you did not mention if he would be in a tent with you or by himself. I could write a whole other page on tents so PM me if you would like some additional input on that.

Best of luck to you and your son. You have a chance to make some great memories for both of you.

Artfuldodger

Good to hear your young son wants to get out in the "wild". It seems like most nowadays want to sit at home on the video game or phone.

In regards to a sleep system I would give you this advice as a 10 year Boy Scout Leader...make him comfortable. No one has a good time when they are cold all night long and can't sleep. Makes young folks not want to do it again. I usually purchase gear from REI, Campmor or Alps. Your son is at the height where he is on the edge of kid bag vs. adult bag. Get an adult bag he can grow into. My son used a Kelty bag early on and it worked well for him. Get a bag that is rated 10 degrees cooler than you think you will need. If the weather ever turns bad you have a temp cushion. As for a pad how careful is your son with his equipment? A closed cell foam pad is easy to use (rolls out) and can take some abuse. A blow up pad is more comfortable but obviously can be punctured.

You can do a lot to help with comfort if you pay attention to your clothing. Always put on a fresh, dry pair of socks when you get in the sleeping bag. Those white cotton socks kids wear may feel dry after a day in the woods but they are not. Cold feet equals cold body. If it is cold, lose fitting clothing in layers helps. Sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt allow warm air to be trapped close to the body. I wear a stocking cap or beanie on cold nights. A hoodie would work also.

Tents are a whole different discussion and you did not mention if he would be in a tent with you or by himself. I could write a whole other page on tents so PM me if you would like some additional input on that.

Best of luck to you and your son. You have a chance to make some great memories for both of you.
Haven't head Campmor in a long time. I used to get about 90% of my gear from them. We still have two Campmor branded sleeping bags.

I would probably just stay with a closed cell pad for now. It will suffice with his age and weight.
I sleep in wool socks that I have just for sleeping. Plus a stocking cap and a neck gator. I've never liked the confines of using the dummy bag all around my head nor not even a sheet over my face. I can pull the neck gator up over my nose and face and be OK.

huntfishwork

Thanks for the great information. Great point on the sleeping pad. We will be sharing a tent. Definitely going to be outside in cooler than warmer nighttime temperatures.

Tight Lines

Man I just sold a kids setup and I don't think you can get them now...

When my kids were small and started camping we got the REI 30 degree Kindercone bags with Kindercamp pads. They were great up to about 12 years old and then we swapped them for adult size bags.

For tents, the REI Quarter Dome its great for a budget tent, and I have the Nemo Dagger 2-man now that is outstanding...

I've backpacked a ton in hot and cold weather, and have tried many setups as well as being a Scout Den Leader...if you want to talk live PM me your number...

Jdmb123

I can’t offer a recommendation, but as much “outdoor boys” YouTube as we’ve watched, I’m going to be in the same boat you are. Needing to take my son tent camping. Personally I like our camper, but they do make it look fun.

huntfishwork

I can’t offer a recommendation, but as much “outdoor boys” YouTube as we’ve watched, I’m going to be in the same boat you are. Needing to take my son tent camping. Personally I like our camper, but they do make it look fun.
You too huh? I’ve always spent a ton of time outdoors fishing and hunting just never was much of a camper. My son has been watching that same show and he’s really gotten camping in his head. I’m fine with it but I realize he may go once and decide it’s not as much fun as he thought it would be. Trying to walk the line of not buying junk and not spending a ton of money at the same time.

Artfuldodger

Looking at the 2 man lynx tent from Alps Mountaineering. The two doors with two vestibules in the fly is nice. Looks to be a good entry level according to price and standards.
Pretty standard design and easy to pitch. I guess it's free standing. I like a free standing tent that I can pick up and shake the dirt out. Plus if I decide to move it for some reason. It has clips for poles instead of sleeves. I hate sleeves with a passion.

It has a lot of mesh. That can be good or bad. Good for summer. Might let cold air in if windy in the spring & fall. But if you get a tent too tight, it will condense water inside. Sort of a balancing act.

The full rainfly is nice for cooler camping. It might be hot in the summer. Another trade off.

If only car camping. I'd probably get the 4-man version. Be sure to seal all the seams and spray the fly with Campdry or something.

Since I don't know this brand, I'd also look at Kelty, Eureaka, Wenzel, and REI but Alps Mountaineering makes some of the "best of" lists.
If the quality of some of the known brands is down like it is for everything else, then you might as well not pay for that name any longer.