Zero Turn Mower

whchunter

Poor Dealership

I bought a Husqvarna Semi-Pro 42 inch several years ago and it's been pretty good. I concur with Todd E on where you buy. When I found my Husqvarna it was in Milledgeville and they offered me a good price. Wanting to do business at home I returned to Dublin and tried to do business with the dealer here in Dublin. However the dealer didn't have the model in stock and I was told that if he had to order it would be about $800 more than the other dealer. I went to Milledgeville for service a couple of years and after husband/wife split who owned the store in Milledgeville I decided to let the local store do my service. Long story short they did a number on me and excused their theft as me not buying the unit from them even though I reminded them I had gave them a chance. Another thing is they didn't even service my unit as they promised.
Mother Earth April/May issue had a review of mowers with costs from $2400 to $17,000. One of the things they reviewed covered fuel consumption. One of the mowers listed for under $6300 gave a good score of 3.75 and had medium fuel consumption. Never heard of it but it was called Big Dog R-754.

IMO look for a good engine like Kawasaki. Too small a engine won't last just as too small a mower for too many acres.
Buy one with a good thick deck.
Try one before you buy. Zero Turn IMO don't ride as well as tractor style. Most are rough riding if the yard isn't perfect. Some Zero Turn have springs on front wheels and may ride better.
Look for a good dealer and availabilty of parts and parts at a reasonable cost. Be sure you can buy blades at several locations.
If you plan on servicing yourself check to see if you can easily access filter, belts etc.
Look for one that has reasonable maintenance cost and maintain it well if you want it to last.
Gas consumption is important but not a major issue in my book since I don't cut often. DO buy and use non ethanol gas.
HINTS: Use: "No-Ceeze" on blade bolts to prevent having to chain to remove and be sure you match the mower to your trailer.

Wild Turkey

Bad Boy is a great mower but the TSC models are their bottom unit.
I have the commercial model which is much nicer. Notice 4 wheel suspension cushions and heim joint deck linkage, welded deck, dual hydro pumps, electric deck lift, kaw water cooled engine.
Kubota has a really nice mower and 0% financing.

Heres my opinion by brand;
Scag- tough as nails, not real comfy, the mower you give to prisoners to cut the jail yard because they cant break it.
Exmark- very nice owner operator mower but overpriced.
Hustler -basic good mower
Kubota-very nice owner operator mower very comfy. Mows like a porche.
BadBoy- very nice commerical mowers tough as nails and comfy with air ride seat. Mows like a monster truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 3,945

stringmusic

I've had great luck with anything that has Husqvarna on it.

Yep, Husqvarna didn't get their reputation from building junk.

I bought a Husqvarna RZ 4621 with a Briggs Endurance motor. I love it.

RonRon

whchunter, the dealership in Milledgeville is open again. Same lady, new husband. I'm picking up a new Husquvarna tractor Friday. Good folks to do business with. The tel # is 478-453-9900

hobbs27

The top brand commercial mowers will last 20+ years.I'm still using one made in 86. Hustler and SCAG are both good names. One I haven't seen mentioned that you may want to look at is a front deck grasshopper. The front deck mowers are great about getting under trees.

whchunter

Ok

whchunter, the dealership in Milledgeville is open again. Same lady, new husband. I'm picking up a new Husquvarna tractor Friday. Good folks to do business with. The tel # is 478-453-9900

Thanks....wish I knew she was looking, I'd woulda been over to see her ..... :biggrin2:

Are they at the same location?

whchunter

Big Dog

Googled the Big Dog products and they look pretty good.

Trigabby

Has anyone used the new Kubota Kommander series? They have an entry pro/high end home owner model I'm looking at...

tjchurch

I have a Dixie Chopper with a 5 ft. deck and a 33 hp.Generac.I bought in new in 2001. The only problems i have had was I let a different dealer TRY to add a elec. deck lift. They kept it two weeks and then told me it couldn't be done.It took a year and two different shop's to get my deck right.:banginghe