Mower deck problems

Baroque Brass

I have a John Deere 42” tractor style mower that’s about 20 years old. I know it’s nearing the end of its useful life but I’d hoped to get a couple more years out of it. I loaned it out (yeah I know, but it was a family member) and it was returned with a broken attachment point on the deck. I figured with the age of the mower, it was just metal fatigue that caused it to break. I was able to fabricate a way to repair it and reattached the deck. I also greased the blade spindles and sharpened the blades. When I used the mower, it had a severe vibration and was scalping the grass. I pulled the deck back off and discovered a bent blade that I hadn’t noticed. I bought new blades but there’s still a really bad vibration. It almost looks like the deck is bent near the spindle by the broken attachment point and the pulley looks out of alignment. I can’t imagine how that section of the deck could be bent but that’s how it appears to me. Any suggestions?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have seen that some, even on the heavy fabricated decks on Skags. Folks will drop them over curbs and stuff and warp the dickens out of them. On the commercial units, you can put a level across the top, and then heat/beat the deck back into alignment. On that JD, I doubt you can even tell what flat and level looks like with a level across it.

I would check the bearings on the spindle real well and make sure I didn't have a bad bearing before I did anything else to the deck

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
You can get spindle kits on line.

Very reasonable.

Rebel 3

Is the bearing inside the spindle bad? When they go out the blade can have some wabble. Shake the blade and see if there is any play in it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
PM sent.

Baroque Brass

Is the bearing inside the spindle bad? When they go out the blade can have some wabble. Shake the blade and see if there is any play in it.
No more than when I loaned it out Saturday. Had a slight vibration then but now it shakes violently.

Doboy Dawg

Probably a bent spindle shaft. Hitting a hard object like a root or rock will bend a blade and sometimes the spindle. Sometimes if it bends the spindle it’ll bend the deck too.

I’ve replaced blades, spindle assemblies, beaten decks back straight, and occasionally welded cracks broken in the deck.

Baroque Brass

Probably a bent spindle shaft. Hitting a hard object like a root or rock will bend a blade and sometimes the spindle. Sometimes if it bends the spindle it’ll bend the deck too.

I’ve replaced blades, spindle assemblies, beaten decks back straight, and occasionally welded cracks broken in the deck.
Now this seems like a real possibility. The blade was bent and something just doesn’t look right about the deck, especially with the pulley appearing to be out of alignment. Thanks!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Now this seems like a real possibility. The blade was bent and something just doesn’t look right about the deck, especially with the pulley appearing to be out of alignment. Thanks!
Check my PM on get'n parts.

gunnurse

Sorry, but your solution is an Ex-Mark zero turn. It will last for 15+ years, and cut your cutting time in 2/3’rds. Your time is as important as saving money, especially on zero interest for 48 months.

Lilly001

And make sure it’s broken when anyone wants to borrow it.
I used to keep a dead battery in mine so it had to be jump started.
I knew what was wrong and those U1 batteries are cheap, but I could honestly tell anyone wanting to use it that It was hard to start.
That kept most people away from wanting to borrow it.

Baroque Brass

Sorry, but your solution is an Ex-Mark zero turn. It will last for 15+ years, and cut your cutting time in 2/3’rds. Your time is as important as saving money, especially on zero interest for 48 months.
The John Deere is a 2004 model so I’d say I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of it. Would still have some life if I hadn’t loaned it out. A good friend has an Exmark. He’s had a lot of trouble with the hydraulic pumps and wheel motors. The dealer‘s quote to repair it was half the cost of the mower. He ordered the parts and learned how to do the repair himself.

gunnurse

The deck plus shipping will be about $900. I’m still shopping around but that seems to be about the going rate.

Way better than a huge investment in a new mower. You're like us. My wife’s car is a 2010 Toyota Camry. It has 264,000 miles on it. The car seems to be bullet proof, and we’re glad. Here’s to your new mower in 2039.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would definitely swap out that spindle before I replaced the deck. Sounds like that's your problem, and a common one at that.

Baroque Brass

Knowing that the pulley on the damaged side looks to be out of alignment, would it make sense to put a straight edge across the pulleys to be sure? I look at the deck from one angle and I think it’s bent but then another angle makes me think that’s how it’s made. But I do know that pulleys all need to align. I could take the deck to the dealer but they’d try to sell me a deck or a new mower. Maybe I should find an independent mower shop.

notnksnemor

Raise the deck so you can look under it and see the blades.
Move the blades to where they are end to end (you may have to ease the spring tension on the belt).
The ends of the blades should line up with each other.
My mower is 20 years old and I've replace 3 spindles over the years.

Baroque Brass

Raise the deck so you can look under it and see the blades.
Move the blades to where they are end to end (you may have to ease the spring tension on the belt).
The ends of the blades should line up with each other.
My mower is 20 years old and I've replace 3 spindles over the years.
On the side that was damaged, if I rotate the blades the tip of the blade extends below the edge of the deck. It doesn’t do that on the other side, the blade tips are just above the deck edge.

notnksnemor

On the side that was damaged, if I rotate the blades the tip of the blade extends below the edge of the deck. It doesn’t do that on the other side, the blade tips are just above the deck edge.

If you have time, swat spindles from 1 side to the other. If the same blade goes below the deck, the deck is bent.
If both blades go below the deck the deck and spindle are bent.