Zero Turn Options

sportsman94

I’m sure this has been discussed many times, but I am a little overwhelmed with the options for 0 turn mowers. In our area, we have dealers who offer husqvarna, Spartan, kubota, bad boy, cub cadet, gravely, hustler, bobcat, and possibly a couple others. I know I’ll want a commercial mower and a 50”+ deck is gonna be preferable. Would love to keep it at $8k or less, but will be open to any recommendations you can give. We have about 4-5 acres of grass that will need to be mowed frequently. Any real world experience with any listed brands/models?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
buy you a Skag. Even if you have to get a used one with a few hundred hours on it. I have used most of the other brands, but the Skag with the Advantage deck does a better job at mowing, especially in overgrown, dandilions, and stemmy weeds than anything else I have tried.

There are some other nice mowers out there, but IMHO, they just won't cut as fast or as well as a Skag. And with that 35HP engine on the 61 Turf Tiger, you don't have to wait for dry grass either. I was cutting yesterday when a storm can in. I had another 30 minutes or so of cutting, so I just finished up in the rain. The man I was cutting for was so impressed he asked me to leave the mower with him so he could cut around his chicken houses with it tomorrow. He said he was a bit afraid to run it because he was afraid he would like it so well he would have to sell his mower and buy one like it.

Since he raised me the first 19 or 20 years of my life, I was happy to loan it to him. He owns a Ferris, but the ignition switch was bad, and his won't run.

Robert28

What do you see on trailers of commercial guys around your area? That’s usually a sign of a good local dealer. Around me it’s Exmark by a wide margin, then you have a few other brands mixed in but it’s easily 5-1 Exmark around here. You have a lot to choose from and that’s a good problem to have. Honestly the only one I’d avoid out of your list is Cub Cadet. You’re gonna get a lot of bang for your buck from Bobcat, Spartan and Bad Boy though. For 4-5 acres see if you can demo a 60” and a 52” on it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Toro Z-master commercial. We have some that have been run about every day for 15 years or so and still going.

B. White

I went with Bad Boy, but I bought the commercial version. Built like a tank, relatively easy to get to anything you need to replace and parts are available locally for me, if needed. $8K may be tough for commercial new, if you want a Kawasaki.

TomC

I'm cutting about 4-5 acres a week pulling a 60" Land Pride finish mower and either going to buy a tractor capable of pulling a 72" or 84" finish mower or considering a 72" diesel Kubota zero turn. I would not go less 72" on the zero turn unless your 5 acres is something akinned to a flat smooth football field.

Commercial grade zero turns like a Kubota 60" or 72" are going stretch your budget. Whatever you think you need, get something bigger!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My dad bought one of the gravely zero turns from down your area . He’s had it 3 years and no issues . And he uses it to maintain 2 big yards . Heck I got this picture in one of our clover fields a couple weeks ago . And yes he has a tractor with a bush hog and a finish mower .AF3E70BA-D556-4DEA-941E-4CBA8DA8F7D6.jpeg

Mars

I recently bought a husqvarna 54in from Lowe's. It's only used around the house but I've been very pleased. The deck is thick and welded and has a 23hp engine. Perfect for residential use.

280bst

Have had a Toro Z commercial for years cut @ 9 acres once a week at least. No trouble Kawasaki 24 hp 48 in cut. I would not buy any lawn mower at all from Loews Home Depot or the like. Go with a dealer

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Just make sure you get a welded deck. Stamped out decks don't last long, sand will wear holes in them.

mossyoakpro

I run a Kubota Z726X...had a Z723 prior to this one and never an issue. I cut 3-4 acres weekly. Only reason I swapped was the seat on the 726 is plush air ride! The difference in cutting time from the 48" to the 60" cut is unbelievable...get the largest cut you can, it really makes a big difference. Good luck!!

grouper throat

I have a Gravely ZT HD 60. Nice mower, but as mentioned before it's more about the service/dealer in the area to me. My old man loves his husqvarna 60 so much he will randomly show up and mow mine and my brother's yards if he runs out of places to mow. He mows 20 acres in total every two weeks and that husqvarna has never given him a major problem.

bullgator

Forget the brand. Once you get to the commercial grade there will be a lot of duplication, such as they will all most likely have Kawasaki engines. So your really comparing decks, spindles, and transmissions. Compare those things within the local dealer network when making your decision.
I have a Gravely ( Gravely engine made by Loncin in China) but wouldn’t hesitate to own a Hustler, Scag, or Toro.
A good example is my neighbor has an Exmark with a Loncin engine. I have the 3100 tranny and his has the 2800.....but they were almost identical price.

j_seph

Kubota
Our neighbor actually has a diesel powered one, mine is gas

scott stokes

I'm cutting about 4-5 acres a week pulling a 60" Land Pride finish mower and either going to buy a tractor capable of pulling a 72" or 84" finish mower or considering a 72" diesel Kubota zero turn. I would not go less 72" on the zero turn unless your 5 acres is something akinned to a flat smooth football field.

Commercial grade zero turns like a Kubota 60" or 72" are going stretch your budget. Whatever you think you need, get something bigger!
Tom I mow and bush hog 120acres.use pull behind mowers.one behind a Polaris ranger (kunz Enginering 60”)or a 12’ behind kubota 9540.just bought a altoz zero turn mower and can cut the property way faster with it .

scott stokes

I would by from local dealer also.scag and xmark are awesome. I just bought a Altoz track mower and love it.don’t know how long it will last time will tell.

TomC

Tom I mow and bush hog 120acres.use pull behind mowers.one behind a Polaris ranger (kunz Enginering 60”)or a 12’ behind kubota 9540.just bought a altoz zero turn mower and can cut the property way faster with it .

Looked at a 72" Kubota diesel zero turn this week. Nice and pricey!!