My gun/scope was way off yesterday

Buford_Dawg

I took my Rem model 7 7mm-08 to camp this weekend to make sure it was ready for rifle season next week and when I shot it, it was 5 inches low and 6 inches to the right of target. I got it right after 4 shots, but I am curious why it was off. I know it was sighted in perfectly on the next to last day of gun season when I cleaned it up and put it up for the year. Can a scope lose its sightness by setting in a gun case for a extended period? Maybe I hit it on something and was not aware but I was surprised by how much it was off

billy336

I had the same problem, still aint fixed yet. Up and down trees, to and from camp will do it every time. Glad you're zeroed back in, for me, back to the range this afternoon.

pepper54

scope off

What brand of scope, rings? different ammo? EVERYTHING affects accuracy. had a friend who couldn"t keep his Weatherby zero'ed. Found out after 2 yrs. that when he cleaned it , he always would take the barreled action out of the composite stock. Duh!:

MCBUCK

I am having to use my back up gun for the first few days of gun....A Savage 110 .270 Win, topped with an old Tasco World Class.....Haven't shot it in TWO years....Pulled down on the target at 85 yds, and keyholed the first two shots !! A perfect 1.5" high:hair: I flied the third shot, about .75" to the left.........but I didn't touch any thing after that , except my 10/22:bounce:
I don't know how some get off and others don't:huh:

Davexx1

A scope cannot change its setting by merely sitting in a gun cabinet. Something has to happen to cause the change.

Check your scope bases and rings and the screws that hold all in place. When the scope was mounted, if the screws were installed without Locktite, they could have become loose over time allowing some movement and the wandering point of impact. If all is tight, something must have happened. Has it been dropped or banged up against something?

I am assuming you are using the same exact ammo that you were sighted in with.

Curious, what kind of scope do you have?

Dave

7Mag Hunter

No real "single" answer here...Lots of variables...IF the mount
and ring screws are tight, then your point of impact should not move...
I have also experienced ATV gun mount and gun boot problems....
I'd start with the ring/mount mounting procedure, rezero, and sling it across your shoulder if you ride an ATV....
Good Luck !!!

Buford_Dawg

A scope cannot change its setting by merely sitting in a gun cabinet. Something has to happen to cause the change.

I am assuming you are using the same exact ammo that you were sighted in with.

Curious, what kind of scope do you have?

Dave

Leupold Var X II 3x9x40 and Leupold mounts. I checked all mounting screws were tight. Same ammo that I have always used. It is good for now, but I will re-check it on occassion thru out the season to make sure it stays good.