Scope Recommendations

SWAMPFOX

I would appreciate any recommendations on a scope for my Thompson Center .54 caliber Renegade. I plan to shoot 100 grains of Pyrodex RS behind a Hornady 425 hollow base hollow point bullet so I figure I am going to need something that will withstand the rigor of the recoil with some decent eye relief. I would like to keep the $$$ around $300 + or - a bit. Thanks.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
swampfox, I am not sure of the mounting issues on the renegade, but would go with the old standby of the leupold vxII 3x9x40. you can get it for $300 plus rings and bases and cannot go wrong with the quality of glass.

I use the same on both my encore muzzle loader and my cva muzzle loader, both 50 cals, with no issues on ruggedness.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2975

Davexx1

SF

Muzz loader guns are really hard on optics. I have seen many hunters at my hunt club over the years try the lesser expensive scopes only to have the muzz gun destroy them in time. When that occurs the gun cannot shoot accurately, bad hits with wounded lost game animals is likely, with great disappointment and more expense for you the shooter.

It would be a wise decision to buy a good, proven, top quality scope and mounting system the first time. You will always be proud you did that. I second JTs suggestion and reccomend the Leupold line of scopes. They have been doing this for much longer than most other brands, they know what they are doing, and they build a very dependable product. I saw the 3x9x40 scope recently advertised on sale for $189 somewhere, maybe at Bass Pro. Mounts and rings will be another few dollars.

Regarding the TC Renegade rifle, if it is like mine, the gun will have to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts and the hammer will have to be heated and bent off to one side to clear the scope. A local muzz gun shop did the job for me about 25 years ago and I have been hunting with it ever since.

Good luck.

Dave1

SWAMPFOX

Thanks, Dave. My Renegade is drilled and tapped and the hammer is bent. I used a Tasco scope on it previously when I hunted in Florida but the recoil destroyed it. When I removed the scope, I installed a Lyman peep site because, at the time, scopes were not permitted on smoke poles in Georgia. That's why I am in the market for a good 'un that will withstand the Renegade's recoil.

ed'sboy

I agree with Jim as well. I know you can pay a lot more for glass but I've found great value with the Leupolds and have never had a complaint with the quality. I've dropped one from a stand and it didn't lose its zero.