PDA

View Full Version : question for the older Atlanta folks

gadeerwoman
04-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Back in the late 60's/early 70's there was a little hole-in-the-wall bar/music venue either on Spring St or West Peachtree that Ray Whitley sang at all the time. Anyone remember the name of the place? Spent many a night in there listening to some of the finest music of the time.

elfiii
04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Back in the late 60's/early 70's there was a little hole-in-the-wall bar/music venue either on Spring St or West Peachtree that Ray Whitley sang at all the time. Anyone remember the name of the place? Spent many a night in there listening to some of the finest music of the time.

You would ask. I think it was on West Peachtree, past 26th St. headed into town. I can't remember the name of the place.

dixie
04-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Sandra there were quite a few in that area, the plantation, and the wagon wheel are two that were right in that area, the silver dollar, but it was on up west peachtree, the Sans Souci on w peachtree

thegaduck
04-30-2008, 05:29 PM
in a long time. One other was the Bottom of the Barrel.

dixie
04-30-2008, 05:44 PM
in a long time. One other was the Bottom of the Barrel. that names familiar duck, where was it at?

thegaduck
04-30-2008, 05:49 PM
but I think it was on a little cut-through road between Peachtree and West Peachtree. Guy named Jeff Espina played there a lot.

Bill Mc
04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I remember "Al's Corral" on Juniper St.

drawdown
04-30-2008, 06:55 PM

Ray WHO!!!:huh:

dixie
04-30-2008, 06:56 PM

LOL, thanks Bill, I'd forgotten about that one!

BoxerLuvr
04-30-2008, 06:59 PM

Now, Al's Corral was a rowdy rocking place. :cool::cool:

thegaduck
04-30-2008, 09:46 PM
"I just want some butterbeans"

Pop
04-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Bottom of the Barrel I believe was located in the old Baltimore Row Building. It has been added on to and made into and office/condo building. Another place was the catacombs either on Ponce or North.

gadeerwoman
05-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Catacombs...I think that was it! All we could remember was it reminded you of a dungeon or something. But I think it was on WPtree between 12th and 13th. Tiny little black building that probably seated less than 40 people. Saw Joe South sing there when he was just starting out but most times it was just Ray himself. I think he may have owned the place. We were reminiscing about the place a few days ago and could not for the life of us remember the name.
Al's Corral I remember! And Jim Salee's place in Buckhead. We used to hit the Harry's Steakhouse on Spring and Johnny Reb's on WPtree. And Lord knows, we spend all too much time at Shakeys Pizza Parlor on Cheshire Bridge and the one on Stewart Ave. I miss their pizzas!

dixie
05-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Catacombs...I think that was it! All we could remember was it reminded you of a dungeon or something. But I think it was on WPtree between 12th and 13th. Tiny little black building that probably seated less than 40 people. Saw Joe South sing there when he was just starting out but most times it was just Ray himself. I think he may have owned the place. We were reminiscing about the place a few days ago and could not for the life of us remember the name.
Al's Corral I remember! And Jim Salee's place in Buckhead. We used to hit the Harry's Steakhouse on Spring and Johnny Reb's on WPtree. And Lord knows, we spend all too much time at Shakeys Pizza Parlor on Cheshire Bridge and the one on Stewart Ave. I miss their pizzas!

Sandra, I was the "bartender" at Shakey's on Cheshire Bridge for a while, one of my favorite hangouts was the lounge in the 7 steers steak house in buckhead, Lorddy, what memories!

gadeerwoman
05-01-2008, 08:45 AM
I found reference to the Catacombs on the web, it was on 14th street. Now I'm not sure that was the same place. That sounds like the place that was just east of 14th/Peachtree intersection during the hippy era. This is gonna drive me crazy!

dixie
05-01-2008, 08:51 AM
I found reference to the Catacombs on the web, it was on 14th street. Now I'm not sure that was the same place. That sounds like the place that was just east of 14th/Peachtree intersection during the hippy era. This is gonna drive me crazy!

Yep, on the corner there at peachtree, it was in the basement of a old house there. I remember that place very well.

gadeerwoman
05-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Then that's definitely not the same place where Ray sang. I remember the catacombs though. That was the big hangout for the hippies back then. :bounce:Now I just have to remember the name of the other dive....The Grotto maybe?

dixie
05-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Then that's definitely not the same place where Ray sang. I remember the catacombs though. That was the big hangout for the hippies back then. :bounce:Now I just have to remember the name of the other dive....The Grotto maybe?

the Grotto I remember was right downtown on peachtree just below Rich's toward 5 points, almost across the way from the zebra lounge

SlipperyHill Mo
05-01-2008, 09:22 AM
How about the Bistro on Spring around 14th. Saw Jimmy Buffett there in 73. Had no idea who he was.

gadeerwoman
05-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Could well have been the Bistro. All I remember was where it was located (and that sounds like the right spot) and that it was a tiny little coffeehouse. You went down some steps inside and it was very dark.
Now that I've found some fellow old fogies on here, who all had a meal at The Southern Club on 11th street (old boarding house that had all you could eat lunches for @ $3.75)?

DanTroop2000
05-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I hung out at johnnyhideway

thegaduck
05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
this brings back a lot of memories. Danced at the Plantation Club many times, also Misty Waters and Fun
Town. Went to Earl's Place a few times. Shot pool at Big Town pool hall at five points and another place I can't remember. Anyone remeber the line dance they did at the Plantation Club at 11 every Sat. Night?

gadeerwoman
05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Oh Lordy, I had forgotten about the Plantation Club! Went there a couple times. These old spots do bring back some memories.:bounce:

dixie
05-01-2008, 03:23 PM
this brings back a lot of memories. Danced at the Plantation Club many times, also Misty Waters and Fun
Town. Went to Earl's Place a few times. Shot pool at Big Town pool hall at five points and another place I can't remember. Anyone remeber the line dance they did at the Plantation Club at 11 every Sat. Night?

I remember that very well, I worked bar at Earls for a while in the good old days, those were some good people. A couple of trips to fun town was enough for me, even the girls wore rumble rings!

alphachief
05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Dang Dixie...you were quite the man about town, back in the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

dixie
05-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Dang Dixie...you were quite the man about town, back in the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

LOL, not really Ron, just made up for some lost time in a hurry, that's all, and I was making a good living on the other side of the bar, I figured if I was gonna gonna be there anyway, why not get paid for it instead of paying. LOL, all thats been 2-3 lifetimes ago tho

alphachief
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
LOL, not really Ron, just made up for some lost time in a hurry, that's all, and I was making a good living on the other side of the bar, I figured if I was gonna gonna be there anyway, why not get paid for it instead of paying. LOL, all thats been 2-3 lifetimes ago tho

No doubt about that...if you have the skills and are good with people, there's some good jack to be made from that side of the bar. Unfortunately, back in my college days, I'd make it...then jump to the other side and throw it all away on Crown and wild women. Oh, but I'm much older, wiser and refined now...not to mentioned married with two teenage kids!

thegaduck
05-01-2008, 04:06 PM
ran across you guys way back when. Graduated from West Fulton in '63.

dixie
05-01-2008, 04:23 PM
ran across you guys way back when. Graduated from West Fulton in '63.

Very well could have duck. Those were for sure a different time and a different town. Nothing like it is there now

BoxerLuvr
05-01-2008, 04:28 PM
This place was away from downtown on Chesirebridge Rd. but, How about the Brave-Falcon. Remember it ? I used to hang around there in the early 70's.

thegaduck
05-01-2008, 04:34 PM
The Brave-Falcon was a hot place then. I think the band that played there a lot was from Myrtle Beach and got famous later. We need to start another thread so all us old Atlanta natives can talk about the good old days. Anyone ever go to Alex Coolie's ball room?

Doc_Holliday23
05-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Whitley played at the Bistro a lot.

there are still some pretty good rock clubs in Atlanta, but hip hop has all but taken over.

dixie
05-01-2008, 05:58 PM
This place was away from downtown on Chesirebridge Rd. but, How about the Brave-Falcon. Remember it ? I used to hang around there in the early 70's.

Sure do, and remember when whisk a go go opened on ponce just off peachtree? Almost forgot about the Gas Light lounge, it was on luckie I think, anyway in that area, it was a nice place

BoxerLuvr
05-01-2008, 06:10 PM
The Brave-Falcon was a hot place then. I think the band that played there a lot was from Myrtle Beach and got famous later. We need to start another thread so all us old Atlanta natives can talk about the good old days. Anyone ever go to Alex Coolie's ball room?

Yeah I went to Alex Coolie's a few times. :cool:

Sure do, and remember when whisk a go go opened on ponce just off peachtree? Almost forgot about the Gas Light lounge, it was on luckie I think, anyway in that area, it was a nice place
It was on the corner of Juniper and Ponce de Leon. I only went there once or twice.

dixie
05-01-2008, 06:17 PM
anybody remember the kitty kat club?:bounce:

thegaduck
05-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Another place was Jerry Ford's on Peachtree. Wonder what ever happened to him? Guy was a great piano player. Man I get a headache just talking about those days.

dixie
05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Another place was Jerry Ford's on Peachtree. Wonder what ever happened to him? Guy was a great piano player. Man I get a headache just talking about those days.

LOL same here duck, I look in the mirror now days and see all the wrinkles and just grin, I earned every one of them!:bounce: Seems I remember Ford opening up a club in buckhead and did well with for a long time. What was the name of that club on peachtree at peachtree battle, it was a famous hockey players place? Phil something I think

thegaduck
05-01-2008, 07:57 PM
I left in August of '67 for 4 years in the Marines, and when I came back everything had changed.

dixie
05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I left in August of '67 for 4 years in the Marines, and when I came back everything had changed.
:rofl: the EM club at the island just wasn't the same was it!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

gadeerwoman
05-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Phil Esposito maybe? I think he had a place out on Peachtree.

dixie
05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Phil Esposito maybe? I think he had a place out on Peachtree.

Yep, that was it, I couldn't remember his last name, Sandra, is there a chance you remember the torch and candle restaurant that was just outside 285 on Roswell rd? I STILL miss that place

Stan in SC
05-02-2008, 09:01 AM
When I lived in Atlanta one summer during college days we used to go to The Peachtree Club downtown near Rich's.Also downtown was The Playboy Club.

Stan

thegaduck
05-02-2008, 09:24 AM
are getting old. Don't let the grandkids see these posts.

gadeerwoman
05-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Never made it to the torch and candle. Went to a couple dances at the Knights of Columbus lodge on Buford Hwy. How many ate at Twelve Oaks, intersection of Piedmont/Cheshire Bridge and the Catfish King on Cheshire Bridge? Sure glad I found some folks old as I am on here:bounce: Our memories aren't too bad...it just takes 4 of us to remember the name of a place.:biggrin2:

TurkeyCreek
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
I used to go to Alex Cooley's a good bit in late 70's.

Ya'll remember the Great Southeast Music Hall at Lindberg???? That was early 70"s.

thegaduck
05-02-2008, 06:03 PM
you could buy mixed drinks in Atlanta, people used to go to Robinson's Tropical Gardens in Cobb Co. It was BYOB and expensive for the time. Lots of High Schools and Ga. Tech went there after proms and such. Now called Canoe. Great place to eat. They have photos on the wall of how the place looked in the '50s and 60s.

slightly grayling
05-03-2008, 03:54 PM
was a big one....George Thoroughgood practically lived there in his early days....

elfiii
05-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Never made it to the torch and candle. Went to a couple dances at the Knights of Columbus lodge on Buford Hwy. How many ate at Twelve Oaks, intersection of Piedmont/Cheshire Bridge and the Catfish King on Cheshire Bridge? Sure glad I found some folks old as I am on here:bounce: Our memories aren't too bad...it just takes 4 of us to remember the name of a place.:biggrin2:

And we still ain't figured out the name of the place in your original post!

Hearing folks talk about all those old places brings back memories. My "Half-Heimers" isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was!

dixie
05-04-2008, 11:27 AM

I remember the 12 oaks but I can't place the catfish king, where was it at on CB? I remember the Knights hall and the dances, remember when Alpine inn opened just below the hall? There was a skating rink up on buford hiway in chamblee plaza I THINK, not sure of the name of the strip mall, that had dances on the weekend and tony "the tiger" from wqxi would DJ them.

elfiii
05-04-2008, 11:30 AM
I remember the 12 oaks but I can't place the catfish king, where was it at on CB? I remember the Knights hall and the dances, remember when Alpine inn opened just below the hall? There was a skating rink up on buford hiway in chamblee plaza I THINK, not sure of the name of the strip mall, that had dances on the weekend and tony "the tiger" from wqxi would DJ them.

The skating rink was by itself, next to the driving range on Buford Hwy.

Are you talking about that place on Cheshire Bridge for the "Kwixie" dances?

gadeerwoman
05-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Elfiii, it was the Bistro that I was looking for in the original post.:bounce:
Catfish Inn (think it was Inn instead of King) was just below Shakeys on Cheshire Bridge, same side. Best fried chicken around. And remember that little 'drive thru grocery' on Cheshire near LaVista.."The Bread Basket"? It was on the corner a block or so before the take out bbq place (can't remember the name of that one either:banginghe). Yep, I remember the skating rink but never went there. Used to play putt putt golf at the place on Cheshire Bridge too.

Sutallee
05-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I used to go to Alex Cooley's a good bit in late 70's.

Ya'll remember the Great Southeast Music Hall at Lindberg???? That was early 70"s.

One night in 1972, my girlfriend and I headed down to Atlanta and decided to go to the Music Hall. We didn't know who was playing that night, but when we got there it was Linda Rondstat with a band that became The Eagles. There were not 50 people there that night.

SlipperyHill Mo
05-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Still got my beer bucket from the Great SOutheast Music Hall.

It is a little rusted.

Al33
05-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I used to go to the Bistro quite a bit back in the very early '70's. You are correct Sandra, very dimly lit and tiny. If you got a table up front you could see the nose hairs of the players.:bounce:

Drank quite a few beers there and even ate the pizza they served. Wow, I had two blue eyes and a flat belly in those days.:bounce: Who knows Sandra, I may have tried to put a move on you back then.:rofl:

thegaduck
05-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Man I hate to see this thread die. Many memories associated with it. I grew up in Atlanta and visited all of these places. Misty Waters wasn't mentioned I think and driving through the "Lauching Pad" at the Varsity. Joe Cotton"s was another one. I still think of The Plantation Club and Fun Town.

Sargent
05-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Even though I am a lot younger than you guys:bounce::bounce::bounce:, I have always had an interest in old Atlanta.

A couple of years ago, I found a book that highlighted Atlanta entertainment by decade. It had a lot of good information in it. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw it.

So, a source exists for you fogies to re-live your glory days!

As for me, I still long for the glory days of the early 90s when we would hang out at Good Ol' Days in Buckhead!