Using scents and scrapes

woody116

I am kinda new to this part of hunting, and only used a scent bomb once last year. Recently someone told me that I am missing out by not doing mock scrapes, so I am looking for more info. I have choosen not too in the past, honestly, cause I heard that it is an exact science, and if you do it wrong your done for.

So, here is my situation. Bow season starts this Friday. We have been warm and dry, although this last week it is really cooling off over night. Leaves are just starting to turn colors, and some trees are dropping them now.
Our rut is normally going around Nov 10th or about.

What scents would work for me now? Being new to this, how do I create a mock scrape?

reylamb

Woody, there is not much that I can offer, I do not use scents or make mock scrapes. I do not want to alert the deer to anything being in the area, so I go scent free.

I will be heading up that way in November, although in the SW part of the state hunting public land down there. Good luck this weekend.

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I start using doe-in-heat as a cover scent around late October or early November. I usually just pour a little on my boots before walking in and then pour some around the my stand location when I am in. I have had pretty good success doing this over the years. I figured a you are killing two birds with one stone, cover and attractant.

Now this is the part that may be a bit unorhodox and wacky. Before the rut, I usually go by the shed at our farm for a little diesel fuel before I hit the woods. I obviously don't douse myself in diesel fuel. I usually just keep a paper towel with a few drops on it in my posket. (Reasoning? How many times have you been on a tractor and seen the biggest buck of your life casually grzing in the field?) I have also put collard leaves or pine needles in my coat pockets, too. All these smells are natural to the deer in the area I hunt. Some store bought cover scents may not work because they may be a "foreign" scent for the deer (IMHO).

Jody Hawk

Woody,
I'll take a limb and scratch out a scrape about three feet round. Make sure that the scrape has a licking branch over it, I've found that is a must !!!!! Then every few days I'll freshen it up with Code Blue doe in estrous scent. I don't use a drip bottle.