Canvasback Question

J Gilbert

My buddy told me there's some special rule involving Canvasbacks, can anyone elaborate on this a little? I think they're gorgeous and would make a great mount if I ever came across one, though I'm not really expecting it in Georgia. Anyway, what exactly does this law entail?

LipRip'r

They can be found in Ga and do make a beautiful mount...just not this season

J Gilbert

When will season be open again?? Is it an every other year thing or what?

rspringer

season is out for them ..when it is open the limit is 1 a day..

or 2, just depends on the season, some years its open the full length, some years only after Jan 1st. they should open it up next year and make the limit 2 because there are a ton of them.

try juliet saw a few groups early season and yes ther are nice mounts have a drake and hen mounted together from last year.

Nitro

Banned
or 2, just depends on the season, some years its open the full length, some years only after Jan 1st. they should open it up next year and make the limit 2 because there are a ton of them.

I dispute that. There may be "a ton" of them where you are seeing them (since South GA is a Wintering area), but I doubt that the population is at a high level anywhere in the US..

Watch and see what happens to the Wood Duck limits in 09/10.

tr00267

There are definitely not a high population of them that is why the season was closed for them this year. The population is right around 489,000 in the world which is not many. The reason is because canvasback's had a bad hatch last year and because the limit went to two. The limit in the past was one, but it went to two because last season can's were around .9 million so the population is 44% lower then it was last year and that is 14% below the long-term average. I'm sure it is lower than that now because of the many hunters that do not know simple duck identification or the ones that dont care and shoot canvasbacks anyway!

Hard Core

I AGREE 100%. There was probably more cans killed this yr than last yr. They where floating dead in many places around the lake. I can't say if folks didn't know what they were, or just didn't care and band checked them. It sucks that it had to happened though.

tr00267

Yeah I made my yearly trip to Seminole this year because my friend has a house there so we can go for cheap and you can still kill plenty of ringnecks and bluebills, but there were not many ducks there compared to the usual. As many shots that were fired by some of the locals they were no doubt shootin can's. Canvasback population was in danger not too long ago and if people keep shooting them out of season there won't be any eventually!

rholton

We saw a lot more cans out of our blind in Southeast Missouri than we have seen in years.

JSpinks

Seems like cans were easier to kill this year than ever before. Saw plenty at gville and eufaula. Maybe next year will allow for 1 but we will see. I wouldn't recommend dropping one off at the taxidermy this year though!!!

littletime

As long as its frozen, its apparently alright from what my taxy told me. could have shot it last year........