black powder pistol help

dsoj05

i am getting my frist black powder pistol this weekend and i am wanting to learn how to shoot it. i am trying to figure out everything i need to learn to shoot it safely. i am getting a colt navey repo in 44 cal. or at least that is what i think it is. what kind of ammo do i need to buy? how do i load it? can i use pyrodex powder? how many grains sould i use as a good charge? what kind of wad do i need, if any. any information that you can give me will be very helpfull. thanks

lonesome dove

the easiest way to do it is buy Pyrodex pellets (for the revolver - not the same ones you use with a rifle)

Loading is easy
Pyrodex + Patch + Ball + Cap = BOOM

Since your in Athens, go to Franklins or Academy and someone there will be able to help you pretty quick.

sandhillmike

Gone but not forgotten
Don't use the pellets if it is a brass frame revolver, use regular FFFg powder. The .44 pellets are 30 gr and the max load you should use with a brass frame is about 24-25 gr. The pellets are fine if it is a steel frame.

Luke_M

Don't use the pellets if it is a brass frame revolver, use regular FFFg powder. The .44 pellets are 30 gr and the max load you should use with a brass frame is about 24-25 gr. The pellets are fine if it is a steel frame.

+1 on that. If you can (have the choice and the means that is) get the 1858 Remington, it's steel frame with re-enforced top strap across the cylinder. It will handle much hotter loads and you can buy a .45 LC conversion cylinder to fire modern ammo.

And dont forget ... if you load multiple cylinders .... make sure to use some form of seal on each sylinder so you dont get a cross fire.

tv_racin_fan

dso where are you near Athens? I know I am a long way off BUT I have a daughter over that way a bit. I have a couple of BP revolvers and would be more than willing to help you out. Before you ever shoot it I suggest pulling the nipples and using an anti sieze compound, they tend to get welded in pretty tight without it.

You do not want to use pellets in my opinion. For most shooting 20grains of powder is plenty, providing the loading lever can handle it. I have been using wads instead of putting a lube over the ball which prevents multiple cylinders from firing. (I had that happen to me ONCE)

The loading sequence for me is like this. From a clean gun. Two or three caps in each chamber to make sure it is dry and the nipple is clear. Put powder in one chamber, then a wad, then the ball is placed on and rammed down using the loading lever, then I clean off the little sliver of lead that comes off the ball and move to the next chamber. (I measure each charge and never pour directly from the flask that's a hold over from my rifle shooting as patch material could leave embers in the barrel). If you do not use the wads then load all chambers (usually only five if you are intending to carry for any length of time but all six at the range) and put some lube over the ball (crisco or some other shortening will work fine, in fact I believe bear grease is preffered). Some people even use the wads and put some lube over the ball as well, a belt and suspenders approach.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

Flintrock

Loading process of your .44 call revolver.
1> Load 20- 30 grains of FFFg powder in each cylinder
This will not fill the cylinder ( do not use pellets)
2> Fill the remaining with corn meal upto the top of the cylinder
. To take up the air space between the ball and powder.
3> purchase .457 round balls.
load one ball at a time making sure that you press the ball
flush with the top of the cylinder
When pressed in, a small lead washer will be shaved off.
** Important >If you fail to press the ball flush the top of the ball
will keep the cylinder from rotating
4> Put one drop of oil/or put grease or substitute on top of each ball. This simply helpd to prevent multi chambers from going off at once
5> place a # 11 cap on each nipple.
6> aim and shoot .
Do not try to load with .440 or .445...this will not be tight enough and may fall out.

Latest posts