Busted hose under the engine?

Arrow3

I stopped to get gas this morning on the way to shoot skeet and saw water pouring out under my truck....I looked and both my upper and lower hose is fine...The water seems to be coming out right under the engine...I assume there are some secondary hoses under there? This is a Chevy 350.

Arrow3

The water is coolant?
It very well could be a heater hose.
Hope that is all it is.

What else could it be? Motor is running fine....

WTM45

Water pump, head gaskets, blown block, cracked head, cracked intake, a plethora of possibilities.

But I'd have to see it to know for sure.

contender*

I agree with SS, gotta be the water pump if not the upper or lower hoses. Heater hoses come off the top of the engine.

WTM45

It could be the water pump, but the engine will soon run warm.

Since you said "pouring" I doubt it is condensation from the AC, so I deleted the earlier post.

Arrow3

Are you sure it is coolant? It's not clear clean water coming off the AC condenser, is it?

Its coolant.....This truck has been rough on water pumps in the past....Ive had to put several on it.

Arrow3

I will let y'all know what it was this afternoon when I can get under it and look...Im gonna wait till late in the day when it cools off a little.

rjcruiser

Probably water pump....either that or your radiator. Sometimes, when you fix one, you'll cause the other to go out. Good luck and at least it is a 350....parts are cheap and mechanics are plentiful.

Arrow3

Probably water pump....either that or your radiator. Sometimes, when you fix one, you'll cause the other to go out. Good luck and at least it is a 350....parts are cheap and mechanics are plentiful.

I wouldn't think that it was the radiator since the water is coming out back up under the engine...Im hoping its a hose but its more then likely the water pump.

tony2001577

yep i would say waterpump to , just watch that temp gange if you drive it !

rjcruiser

I wouldn't think that it was the radiator since the water is coming out back up under the engine...Im hoping its a hose but its more then likely the water pump.

Gotcha....I recently had the radiator start leaking on my toyota...replaced it only to have the system pressure improve and blow the water pump. Besides the time of pulling the radiator twice in 3 days, it wasn't too dificult to change. The coolant was leaking from the front of the engine block.

I'm sure it isn't too dificult to do on a 350...just a bit time consuming because you've got to take out the radiator to free up some room. If you do choose to do it yourself, just make sure you don't tighten down the water-pump bolts more than the recommended torque. If it is an aluminum head, you don't have to over-tighten too much to strip the threads. Also, don't use any rtv gasket sealer, just use the stock seal that they give you along with the water pump. The rtv sealer can cause an uneven surface and premature failure. I used a few drops of super glue to get the seal to stick to the back side of the water pump while I was putting it on the engine.

Good luck.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Since it is farther back it could possibly be a freeze plug leaking....... ????

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
digging out the old plug and tapping in a new one are simple enough but those things are difficult to access in some locations.
Depends on whether other components are in the way. Things like exhaust manifolds, etc can be mounted over them

boneboy96

Freeze plug on my old American Motors Rambler was in such a bad spot, they had to literally pull the engine out to get to it. Guess that's why U don't see too many Ramblers out there today!

thomasr

My advice would be to KISS at first. Keep it simple. A pin hole in a heater hose can spew coolant into weird places and make you think you have bigger problems. There's usually so much "stuff" under the hood now a days they can be hard to see. Good luck.