Steel Roofing??

GA1dad

In the last 2 months, my 6 yr. old shingle roof has started leaking in 4 places. I did not have it installed,,,, it was a selling point as it was 2 yrs. old when I bought the house. But needless to say,,,,, I am disappointed.

So now I am in the "what now" stage of the game. My shingle roof visibly looks perfect. I could do a nail over I guess, as there is only a single layer now and the sheeting is in fair shape. But Sweet Thang mentioned maybe wanting a white steel roof to combat the summer heat.

Hmmm. If you took what I know about steel roofs and poured it into a thimble,,,,,,,,,,,you'd still have room for an elephant.:biggrin2:

So here I am,,,,,,,,,asking for thoughts on the subject. Anyone installed one for themselves?? Anyone know of some good reference material online?? I found this one of a guy that installed his own,, http://www.baihp.org/CASESTUD/hdh_roof/index.htm
Anyone know the " local " cost of materials per square foot??

Heres a few details:

2 story home,,,,,2200 square feet total,,,,, so an estimated roof would be 1100 square feet.

There are now valleys or anything,,,,,,,,just a flat, peaked roof with a chimney on each end.

D.I.Y. is the only option. I'm still too young and too poor to be paying anyone to do anything.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed!!!!

Jay

dpoole

send schleylures a pm he puts on metal roofs .

Jim Baker

Staff member
Did you get a roofers bond from the original owner when you bought the house. Check with the origianal owner shingles usually have at least a 20 year garuantee.

Are they architectual shingles, sometime those don't get laid right.

Also, have a roofer look at it, if is a gabled roof with no valleys, replacing a few shingles may be all you need.
You should be able to spot the leaks by looking at the sheeting in the attic. It will be stained.

That said 2200 sqaure foot 2 story will have more than 1100 sq ft on the roof. Can't estimate with out the pitch.
6x12 pitch would be closer to 1400, guessing on the overhangs.

Also metal roofs leak too. Unless you are getting a standing ridge or shingle style there is no garuantee that it won,t eventually leak. All it takes is one misplaced screw or bad gasket. If you are in a subdivision better check deed restrictions on metal roofs.

skiff23

I install both. prefer metal over shingles, but if your shingles are only a couple of years old, get a roofer to look. Guessing in the blind My first thoughts are looking at the flashing around the chimneys. These are the most prone areas to leak. If the shingles are installed right , your culprit will be in the flashing or ridge vent.
As far as doing a new roof yourself, if you have never done it , DONT try it . You will have a bigger mess than you can get out of.

And also roof leaks can run to places you would never dream. Let a professional look at it before you try yourself. A simple solution is probably all it will take.

THREEJAYS

I also have done both over the last 30 yrs.If the roof has proper slope and instalation is correct the shingles are fine.The laeks should be able to be repaired by someone w/ plenty of experience.Metal is going to be more and as mentioned can also leak and be a problem if not done correct.Also something most guys pushing metal won't share is the fact that the metal will fade/oxidize considerably in a few years and unless you use standing seam it will require work in time.PLEASE if you do it yourself watch out if your feet are wet or the metal is wet,you will fall off.Good luck

Latest posts