Thermacell for Turkey Hunting?

Gadget

How many use one for Turkey Hunting?

I was thinking bout picking one up for fishing, don't know If wana lug it around in the turkey vest though?

chrisk

I hunted with a buddy who had one last year in extreme south georgia --- we would have gotten carried off without it down there. For the 5 minutes it took to "warm up" when we got to a new spot we both were swatting and couldn't sit still. Once it kicked in all was right with the world. I'm gonna get one before this season opens.

gobblingghost

I don't hunt with one I carry two just incase one fails I have a back up. I hunt mainly swamps and creeks so its not a luxary ITS and necessatity. Before I leave the truck i turn mine on and it stays on until i get back to the truck.

blindhog

Yeah, around here if ya don't wanna be raped by a swamp skeeter you WILL have a thermacel!
It works like magic too.

DaddyPaul

If space was an issue I would cut down on a few calls to make room for mine! If you ever hunt down here in a Florida cypress swamp you will know why. I don't know how I ever hunted before I got one?

Booner Killa

I just spray down good with insect repellant before I leave the truck and I'm usually good but I've been meaning to get a Thermacell for bowhunting whitetails. I might give one a try. Everybody who has one, swears by the thing!!!!!

IdRatherBHunting

Last Turkey season in a swamp in South Ga. I saw a mosquito bending a Turkey over and raping it. I am scared to go in the woods without it.

Hawken2222

I used mine while deer hunting in the warm weather, I will also use mine this spring chasing turkeys.

hawglips

Banned
I grew up in the swamps, so skeeters don't bother me too much when I'm hunting, unless they are in thick swarms -- like they were in this one swamp we hunted in FL in '02. My brother had to hold on a bird for about 15 minutes, and he took it like a man. (But he ended up missing the shot!) The skeeters were so thick, my son (who was drenched in Deet and covered by a skeeter net) couldn't keep still and said they were even in his shoes (youthful imagination, but swarms of skeeters can do things to the human psyche.)

Anyway, after we went back to the truck, my brother took off his shirt and we counted over 250 bites on his back and arms!

So, I took one to FL last year, and it was real handy around the table in camp. Makes things much more pleasant.

Hal

Kwaksmoka

I couldn't agree more, i will not hunt without mine! Im in a hunting club with some older men up to their mid 80's, they've told me this year has been as bad as ever for mosquitos! :banginghe :whip: Maybe im spoiled by my TC but im not going if i don't have it!
-Kwak

beginnersluck

It will be with me. Those things are amazing and I can't believe the difference they make. Skeeters and flies stay away now for sure and seeing that spring is filled with those critters, you better believe I'll have mine. Now if we could just invent one to repel snakes...we'd be rich! (If anyone in this forum makes one, I demand my cut!:D )

beginnersluck

chrisk said:
For the 5 minutes it took to "warm up" when we got to a new spot we both were swatting and couldn't sit still. Once it kicked in all was right with the world. I'm gonna get one before this season opens.

I leave mine on when moving from place to place ...helps to repel them even while walking! :flag:

Covehnter

I wont leave the truck without mine and will turn around if it is forgotten! It gets miserable without one sometimes!

Dub

gobblingghost said:
I don't hunt with one I carry two just incase one fails I have a back up. I hunt mainly swamps and creeks so its not a luxary ITS and necessatity. Before I leave the truck i turn mine on and it stays on until i get back to the truck.

I thought I was the only one who did that (two I mean....just in case....)