adhesives?

QuakerBoy

I'm gonna be making a couple calls here soon....what kind of adhesives are used to glue the wood together on box calls, and what kind is used to glue down the slate in a slate call?

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Rich, I've never made turkey calls, though I've always used used either Elmers regular glue or the Elmers wood glue when wood working. I believe either works about as good as the other, though the regular dries clear whereas the wood glue dries yellow and is probably a little more expensive. I've glued boards together and turned them on a lathe with the regular and it always held fine. With that said I believe either one would work just fine for the applications you've mentioned.

QuakerBoy

Huntnnut....my concern is the wod weparating if the call gets damp....elmers and elmers wood are not waterproof....nor is the titebond waterproof:mad:

I just don't want it falling apart should it accidentally get wet:cheers:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Are you planning on making turkey calls or fishing lures?....:bounce:

Unless you plan on leaving them submerged for extended periods I still think the Elmers would do fine....;)

Just my $.02....:cheers:

alphachief

I think most call builders use something like "liquid nails" or silicone glue to afix the striking surface on friction calls. Dont know about box calls...although I prefer them carved out of a single chunk of wood. Of course I defer to the experts on this section of the site like Alex, David, etc.

Dudley Do-Wrong

For sawn and glued boxes, use tite bond

Huntinfool

For slates, glass etc...I would use something like Goop or a silicone based adhesive. I've made quite a few pot calls and I use liquid nails when working with slate and Goop for glass and crystal. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Dudley Do-Wrong

I use plumbers goop for friction calls

Burl E.

David Mills said:
I use plumbers goop for friction calls

Enough said right there.

CAL

I use titebond waterproof on my long boxes.I have never had one to separate.Fact is ,I guarantee them against separating and anything else for that matter.I even guarantee you will like it too!

alex30808

I see I saved my 2 Cents...LOL....seriously...Tightbond II is what I used for glue up boxes...and marine or plumber's goop...for glass and epoxy for slate.....oK..so I did spend my 2 cents..LOL

dbodkin

Gorilla Glue.. available at HD & Lowes.. Not cheap

GADAWGS

dbodkin said:
Gorilla Glue.. available at HD & Lowes.. Not cheap

No kidding! Just got s bottle yesterday for $17. It foams when applied, didnt know that. Guess I will be using an Exacto knife to clean up the edges, and lots of sanding

dixie

R don't overlook using a hot glue gun and the glue sticks, that stuff holds great.