Whats a good 20 gauge turkey load

earlthegoat2

2 3/4 TSS will get you there with less recoil. Not sure if 2 3/4 TSS turkey shells are made though. I roll my own with components from Ballistic Products.

Gaswamp

one of my graduated mentees got a good pattern with this load out to 40yds. He is shooting a Stevens 301

Federal Premium 3rd Degree 20 Gauge 3in #5,6,7 1-1/2oz Turkey Shotshells​

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
2 3/4 TSS will get you there with less recoil. Not sure if 2 3/4 TSS turkey shells are made though. I roll my own with components from Ballistic Products.

They are, I have a 23/4 gun and I stocked up on TSS when they were on sale back before things got stupid.

Steyrhunter

I am a fan of the Federal Prairie Storm in both .12 and .20, with a preference for #6 in both. They have great reach and hit hard with the combo shot styles

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Any load that will consistently place 100 pellets inside a 10" circle is a good load. While there are roughly 78 square inches in a 10" circle, shot often aren't evenly spread so there can be holes in the pattern. 100 seems to be right for most people. Range should be limited to the distance where 100 minimum fills the 10" circle and accuracy of aim is also required. Not saying a golden single pellet can't kill a bird, but turkey hunters should get that notion out of their heads. A "maybe" it will kill shot isn't the goal. Gil

crucible02

I've killed a few with my youth 20 gauge semi shooting Fiochi Golden Pheasant 3" #6s and it flat stones them, patterns great as well in a factory full.

What’s your max distance you think? Im shooting a 20 and im tired of paying for TSS. I used to shoot Kent ultimate Diamond 6 shot and it was awesome. Can’t find it anymore nor can I find LBXR 6’s. I’ve debated on the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant but hadn’t been able to find any real world experience with it on turkeys.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
What’s your max distance you think? Im shooting a 20 and im tired of paying for TSS. I used to shoot Kent ultimate Diamond 6 shot and it was awesome. Can’t find it anymore nor can I find LBXR 6’s. I’ve debated on the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant but hadn’t been able to find any real world experience with it on turkeys.
35 yds, maybe 40, but I was using a factory full.