Which Rifle

agent_86

I have 2 7mm mag hunting rifles and want to sell one. Which would you sell?

Remington 700 with black synthetic stock
1978 Browning BAR with rich bluing and laminated stock

georgia_home

Both of the guns you list sound good. As far as which to dish, I'd have to keep the one with the most personal meaning. Any special circumstances with acquiring either?

Just on face value, no special tie to each, this Remington guy would lean toward the BAR. Just cause it's an auto.

ben300win

Both great rifles. One consideration is if you are going to be hunting in really cold weather I have heard of the automatic freezing up enough to keep the bullet from cycling properly i.e. not being able to get a 2nd shot off.

On a different note, keep the one that is most accurate.

hoochfisher

Banned
i love browning stuff in general, but i would keep the remmy. i prefer bolt action over semi any day.

Jetjockey

I hate semi auto rifles. So sell the browning and keep the remmy.

It's pretty easy to get another Rem M700 7mag/syn stock again. Not so easy (or inexpensive) to get another BAR. I'd think that year production was "Made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal".
Keep the Browning BAR !!

FishinMech

Sell The bar.

7MAGMIKE

Man I do not believe in selling any firearm, especially if I have even a small attachment to it. Unless you absolutely need the money keep both.

jmoser

The 7mm mag is best as a long range cartridge. That said the 700 should have an accuracy edge vs the BAR at 300 - 400 yards. If you never shoot that far it makes no difference.

I would not want to expose the BAR to harsh conditions in order to keep it nice and pretty but thats your call.

You will certainly get more $$ for the BAR if that is a consideration.

I would like a BAR in .308 but the magnum loadings are for long range use in bolt guns IMHO. My 7mm mag is an A-bolt and a tackdriver with handloads.

Also have a BPR [pump rifle] in .308 - looks almost identical to a BAR and makes the Remington pumps look like cheap junk.

Rich Kaminski

I would sell the Remmington. Browning makes a better rifle and it's more valuable.

Wetumpka

While remingtons are good rifles, they're a dime a dozen. Now, that Browning is a different story. You don't see those all over the place and when you do find one, they aren't cheap.

But as one guy said earlier, keep whichever one is most accurate for you. 7mm Mags don't require many follow up shots and a bolt action can be pretty fast in the right hands so the semi-auto factor isn't really a big deal (to me).

The choice is really yours. If you do a lot of long range shooting where you have a nice steady target, keep the Remington. If your hunting takes place in GA woods and involves fast moving targets that are inside of 100yds or so, go with the BAR.