Blinds

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
What is everyone's thoughts on hunting turkeys from blinds. And same question about decoys.

hawglips

Banned
What is everyone's thoughts on hunting turkeys from blinds. And same question about decoys.

Around here, it all depends on who is doing the hunting from the blind and with decoys.

:yawn:

rutandstrut

It all depends on what works in a certain area! I have some areas I know if you put out a Decoy they will run. Other areas they will come in in a trance! Blinds don't seem to matter on any of them. If you want to carry it and set it up it doesn't seem to bother the Turkeys! I prefer to use the Natural Blind Material (Palmetto's and Cabbage Palm Fronds) when I have time to make a Blind! If I carry a Blind with me it is the Roll Up Fold in Half Stick Blinds that weighs approx 1-1.5 Pounds. It comes in handy and is easy to setup when there is no natural cover and I need a quick hide!

Last edited:

BOSSOFTHEWOODS

Blinds are great for getting kids started in any type of hunting especially the younger ones. "(arm up,finger pointing)LOOK DAD,THERES ONE!" Had one for several years, only hunted out of it by myself once on a deer hunt.
Dekes are always in the truck,most times in the vest,tho not pulled out every hunt.

clent586

I prefer neither, but palmetto fronds make excellent cover in an open flat if no big trees or cover is around. JMHO

Huntinfool

I'm not opposed to either. But I like to move around too much for either.

Trizey

They are too much hassle to use in the mountains.

El Natural for me.

six

No way can I hunt out of one. I'd go stir-crazy!

JB83

Rarely hunt turkey out of a blind, only if there is no natural cover. I've had hens practically walk into my lap when properly camo-ed and sitting against the right tree.
Have had success using decoys on roads between the woods later in the day.

Turkeydoghunter

i like to use the natural cover to hide....but i did get in a buddys deer blind last spring to escape a hard rain....as for decoys i like em on rainy & windy days when im forced to hunt field edges ...Ron

creekrocket

I dont use one, but I am considering it this year....just because i want to take one with my bow. Ive never done it, and think it would be a cool acomplishment for me. I say this now,and come turkey season, there will be dust on my bow until the next deer seaon

Gadget

To me personally they both take something away from the "hunt".

I feel like I cheated both myself and the turkey when I use them, not saying I will never use either again but as the years go by and my experience and #'s of turkey stack up I find myself disliking them more and more.

I'm there to call a turkey in, to fool his eyesight and instincts, sitting in blinds and using decoys defeats that purpose and takes some of the "hunt" out of Turkey hunting for me. I haven't always felt this way, it's taken 20yrs and 1 or 2 gobblers to get here, if you woulda asked me 10yrs ago I would give a different answer. Used to use decoys on most of my hunts, never liked or used blinds; as time, experience, and success build up people tend to mature into a different kind of hunter and place a different value on things.

hawglips

Banned
Neither blinds or decoys appeal very much to me. Not my style.