nail hole in canoe

Twiggbuster

Ya'll ever repaired one of these? How did it happen you ask- moving stuff around and you quessed it- a board with a nail ended up being a temporary rest. Fiberglass Mohawk 14 footer. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

fishtail

3M 5200, sold at WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
I think the Mohawk may be composite and not fiberglass. I've got a 16'er.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
also check out mohawks website. a lot of manufacturers have repair tips and kits on their sites !

Mr. Fishunt

Nail Hole

JB Weld or electric tape.....
I popped a rivet on an aluminum canoe many years ago and covered the hole with electric tape and the tape was on there 7 years later with no leak....

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

B

breampole

repair

you may find regular 5200 too runny to work with and it takes days to cure. I patched an aluminum Jon boat with F-26 which is a water proof carpenters glue. Have also used Marine Tex and other epoxy fillers. There is an epoxy marine putty that would probably do it too that you just mix with you fingers until the color is uniform. It will be hard and sandable in about 15 minutes. After plugging the hole I'd suggest putting a piece of Gorilla tape on the inside and outside. Actually that might be all you need. That brand of tape is some kind of strong and has super adhesive qualities. Not sure what canoe is made out of but assume all these will adhere. Might help to heat slightly with a hair dryer, but be careful not to overheat and warp.