New Choke ?

cc3515

I am looking at getting a turkey choke for my Remington 1187. I have been told by many to get the Kick's gobbling thunder. My question is there are two chokes available for my gun, One has a .655 inside diameter and the other is .665. How do I decide the difference between the two. How does this affect range/patterning? Thanks for he input.

smaller number tighter patter.. I had a GT for my beretta and i didnt like it much.. didnt patter to good out of my gun.. the bigger shot size you use out of a tighter choke you might not get the best patter..

icdedturkes

Buying a Kicks eliminates half of your ammo choices.. The choices it eliminates are the easiest ones to get to pattern well.

Brad C.

Buying a Kicks eliminates half of your ammo choices.. The choices it eliminates are the easiest ones to get to pattern well.

He's right. Kick's still doesn't approve using Hevi-13 through their chokes. And I can tell you that .655 exit diameter is going to be a little on the tight side for optimum patterns out of most Rem barrels. You would do better to go with a choke that will handle Hevi-13 loads and a choke diameter more open that is around at least .660 to .670 is what I would recommend. I like the Pure Gold .670. I also get great patterns from a MAD Super Max .675 choke made by Indian Creek. Indian Creek would be a good choice as well.

WFL

Go with a 650 to 660. :cool:

JimLandt

I got the new Carlson's ported, Hevi-shot approved choke (not the Hevi-shot brand one, although they are made by Carlson's too, but cost more $) for my 870 12 guage for under $30 on-line. It's a .665 size. It works great with all loads I've tried. Shoots great patterns with #5 lead out to 45 yards and #5 HS out to 55 yards. Sometimes those really tight chokes don't perform as well anyway, and what if the bird sticks his head out at 20 yards? It's tougher to hit them with a pattern the size of a half-dollar...

mossyoakpro

I shoot a .665 in my 1187 Remington, with Winchester #5's it is pure death on a turk.

I am thinking about trying something different this year though....I have heard good things about Pure Gold & Indian Creek tubes as well.

gobblingghost

I have Sumtoy in both my guns and couldn't be happier. William has worked with me to get the most I could get.

wray912

the double i shot in my profile pic was with the kicks .655 out of my beretta jelly headed the back bird and the front one's head vaporized at 7 steps both with one shot of winchester number 5's

Last edited:

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I have the Kick's GT .655 shooting #6 loads.Can't shoot under 20yds cause I might miss but have no problem getting out to 45yds.

Latest posts