New knife!!

jdb331

Hey guys, im in need of a hunting knife but before i drop a good chunk of change on one from some big name i would rather have one of these works of art on here. I woud really like to learn how to make my own. It's something about playing with fire, getting dirty and beating on stuff. I know there is a great group of guys on here and every single one of you artist and masters of your craft. So if there is anyone that would take the time to teach me how to make my own knife it would be awesome.
Thanks guys,
Jordan

jdb331

Hey danny. I am in gainesville which is about an hour and a half. its bot that far of a drive.

Blue grass in Georgia

Well heck Jordan, that's a pretty good haul from me bud. It will probably take more than 1 visit maybe even a few to complete a knife and sheath. We have football and cheer leading 5 days a week right now and games start next Saturday. I think if you were closer we could squeeze in an hour or 2 here and there. Let's see if any other hammer heads offer up if not maybe we can try and work out some time on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I'll keep an eye on this thread, talk to ya soon. Danny

jdb331

Thanks danny, i dont mind driving for good advice and great hospitality. Maybe somebody else can help thats closer.

Nastytater

Banned
I too am needing some tips and advice...I'm going to start off with a kit from a company that I had sent too me in a message.

Anvil Head

Roll out and come on up to Trackrock Fall Hammer-in, Blairsville, Sept 28-29-30. See several different setups and get a taste. Best to make sure it's what you really want to do before you invest time and money. I will be posting an official notice this week (after the Blast is over).....or you can come by my booth #111 and get some particulars if you like.
I teach both begining and advanced bladesmithing classes as well as sheath making and embellishments. I too, am in Acworth.

thurmongene

Dang, Mr. Anvil head, like I said at the Blast---I wish we were neighbors.
Mr. jdb331, I'm in Oakwood, I would like to go with ya and learn also.

jdb331

Thanks for the invite. Thurmongene we'll have to hook up and go cause thats a hike but i have seen his work and its amazing

John I. Shore

Hey guys, im in need of a hunting knife but before i drop a good chunk of change on one from some big name i would rather have one of these works of art on here. I woud really like to learn how to make my own. It's something about playing with fire, getting dirty and beating on stuff. I know there is a great group of guys on here and every single one of you artist and masters of your craft. So if there is anyone that would take the time to teach me how to make my own knife it would be awesome.
Thanks guys,
Jordan

Oooooh I would be careful, were I you. Be advised, once you make your first knife, the Only thing you can think about usually is, "what am I going to make next"? It can get real spendy, to the point that it would be cheaper to just buy one from any of the top makers around.

With that said, you'll probably not be discouraged, though you have been warned.

Hook up with any of the guys here and you'll learn a lot and probably end up with a knife that you'll be proud to pass on to someone in the next generation. Good luck with it, if I can help just holler. :cheers:

John I.

Anvil Head

JDB - if you are just wanting to get a taste of knifemaking, there are two excellent makers near you. Both are primarily stock removal (steel grinders) that make very fine knives. One lives just NE of you in Lula and one lives just N in Cleveland. If you like I can pm you contact info on either/both.
TG - when you get to the hammer-in remind me, I have something for you. Bring that piece of HD steel with you and we'll "swap".

Not trying to dissuade either of you from coming, but I don't really have time to teach at the Hammer-ins. I stay way too busy making things go. I do help the others work with visitors where/when I can. This event I hope to find the time for a short demo each day......but that's usually more hope than happen.
I will give you fair notice ***Kids always come first.***

Anvil Head

Tim, not to insult or discredit you, as you are already doing pretty good work. Thinking more along the lines of exprienced teachers in the trade. And yes....teaching will make you a better maker, so it would be good for you to teach others as well.
See you in a few weeks Bro.
(Zack's gonna run right by you if you don't lean how to use a hammer!)

MoblMec

Carl and others

Hi Guys and Carl
I apologize for not reading more careful. I thought he was wanting a knife made . I missed the TEACHING part.
Yes Bubba and Razor Blade are good teachers and I owe them both MORE THANKS than I can give!
(Zak running by me IS the Intention)
MoblMec