Tax on used truck I buy from business?

donblfihu

This truck is owned by a business, will I have to pay the state taxes?

cuda67bnl

Sales tax?
If so, yes.

harryrichdawg

I believe I read somewhere that you now have to pay sales tax on every vehicle purchased, either at the time of purchase or when you purchase a tag. Or maybe they were proposing it.

donblfihu

It's not a car sales business, they use it for local material pickup.

lbzdually

Banned
if they paid tax on in when they bought it from a dealer, then you do not have to.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if they paid tax on in when they bought it from a dealer, then you do not have to.

RONG! If it is registered in a business name, you will have to pay sales tax.

Ask me how I know.

Pappy

cuda67bnl

It's not a car sales business, they use it for local material pickup.

Is it titled under a business name, or an individual's name? If it's under a business name, you won't pay any taxes when you go to the tag office to transfer everything. But, the state will send you a letter after that, with a bill for the taxes due. If it's in a person's name, there won't be any taxes. The laws will be totally different next year, and you'll pay regardless.

Oldstick

Had not heard about that before and that is alarming. They tried that once before I think in the 80s or 90s and it got killed before the enactment date. Of course all car dealers would be heavily lobbying for this. It will probably hurt private sellers the most because they are probably forced to take even less for their car to keep it less than a deal at the dealership.

greg_n_clayton

I thought the sales tax was based on the price paid. Anything paid over X amount of dollars !! Way it use to be here in this county. Another tax if it had not ever been registered in the state. Of course, now they are going to get all they can. Amateur Radio tags use to be free from the specialty tag fee after intially bought, but not any more !!

lbzdually

Banned

Ask me how I know.

Pappy

Never had a problem before. If the primary business of the person you're buying it from is selling cars, then you have to pay sales tax. If they paid tax when they bought it, then it would be double taxed. What I was saying is if it was registered by a business, then they should not have had to pay tax in the 1st place. If they paid tax, then they must have done it an as individual, which means the new buyer should not have to pay tax on in.

The word is WRONG, not RONG.

rjcruiser

Ask me how I know.

Pappy

Never had a problem before. If the primary business of the person you're buying it from is selling cars, then you have to pay sales tax. If they paid tax when they bought it, then it would be double taxed. What I was saying is if it was registered by a business, then they should not have had to pay tax in the 1st place. If they paid tax, then they must have done it an as individual, which means the new buyer should not have to pay tax on in.

Not sure if that is technically right or not, but if it is in a business name, you'll pay sales tax.

Why? Because they're taking a tax deduction from their state income taxes (depreciation).

Jim Baker

Staff member
Not sure if that is technically right or not, but if it is in a business name, you'll pay sales tax.

Why? Because they're taking a tax deduction from their state income taxes (depreciation).

Don't know if that is right or not.

Either way, You will pay sales tax if the vehicle was titled to business . You will recieve a bill for the GA Dept. of Revenue. Your tag agent will let you know this.

Take a certified bill of sale with the sale price with you to register the vehicle and buy your tag.

lbzdually

Banned
Best thing to do is to get them to sign it over as an individual, not as a business then. You guys are talking about using the vehicle as a tax break in regards to income tax when talking about depreciation.

rjcruiser

Best thing to do is to get them to sign it over as an individual, not as a business then. You guys are talking about using the vehicle as a tax break in regards to income tax when talking about depreciation.

Absolutely.

The problem is, if it is registered to a business...and the title has a business name on it, they can't just "sign it over as an individual."

They would have to have the title re-issued into their personal name....and then they would have to pay the taxes on it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

the thought process is RONG!. The state don't care how many times the sales tax has been paid on something. They want the tax money every time it is sold. If it were a person to person casual sale, then no sales tax. If you buy it and it is registered to a business, then the state will send you a letter demanding the sales tax from the sale. Period. End of discussion.

Pappy

BTW, you spell it your way, I'll spell it my way. :cool:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

It has nothing to do with how they "sign it over". It has to do with the name of the owner on the registration. If it is registered to a business, you will pay sales tax.

Pappy

Benjie Boswell

Be sure to keep a copy of the original bill of sale. I bought out another business which included 6 trucks and got an enormous sales tax bill from Ga Department of Revenue. They assigned a value to each vehicle that was way above actual value and it was up to me to prove the actual value. Major headache that took over a month to get straightened out. Double taxed, triple taxed, or however many times they can get it, if the title is in a business name you will pay sales tax.

Oldstick

It has nothing to do with how they "sign it over". It has to do with the name of the owner on the registration. If it is registered to a business, you will pay sales tax.

Pappy

I think that is correct. I know from experience, if you buy a repo'd vehicle from a bank, even though the original purchaser paid sales tax on it, you still have to pay sales tax again on the amount you give for it. It's tax levied upon the business sale of a taxable item to a consumer.

And not related to the annual ad valorum tax owed by the current owner of a vehicle to their county.