Turkey hunting skills

How would you rank your turkey hunting skills?

• Freshman

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Sophmore

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Junior

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Senior

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters

Junebug

Just out of curiosity, how would you rank your turkey hunting skills; freshman, sophmore, junior, senior?

Al33

Tell ya what Junebug,

The better part of wisdom tells me not to vote in this poll.

I have learned that just when I think I have learned enough about hunting toms to start running my mouth a little about it, they make a fool out of me. :bounce:

I now have a saying: " I don't know nothin' about huntin' turkies!" :D

Well, I guess I could vote, so I'll just vote "freshman" and play it safe. ;) One thing is for certain, I ain't no Senior, at least as it relates to your poll.

Al

dominantpredator

I think I am a senoir or will be one soon....I know one thing the turkey is a graduate student a large percentage of the time. I guess that is part of the attraction to hunting those limbhangers.

dominantpredator

Here are a few memories .... funny how you never forget the events leading up to a harvested bird...at least I always do no matter how long ago or who was the shooter

Attachments

• James another gobbler.jpg
    James another gobbler.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Missouri gobblers.jpg
    Missouri gobblers.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 95
  • James' Gobbler.jpg
    James' Gobbler.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Joey's gobbler.jpg
    Joey's gobbler.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 84
  • James,Matt,Dan.jpg
    James,Matt,Dan.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 79

Junebug

I hear ya' Al !!!!

Some days I actually feel like I am actually starting to grow feathers and spurs. Other days the birds make me feel like I might as well throw in the towel.

Oddly enough, it's the days I am most humbled and the turkeys whip me down to my socks that make me go back again, and again. That's the hook I guess...and I learn something EVERY time I go.

Junebug

Junebug

Dp

Thanks for sharing the great photos! I too remember all the details from every successful hunt; especially the toughest ones!

GeauxLSU

If I had half a clue that would be one half more than I think I've got. :eek:
DEFINITELY a freshman, but that's only cuz there's no 'grade school' choice. Some of you 'seniors' need to take this youngster with you and teach him some things. But only if you promise not to hit me with your class ring. :whip:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Jody Hawk

Al,
I know what you mean !! Everytime I think I am about to figure them out they throw me a curve ball. I remember about five years ago I had killed two public land longbeards by the second weekend of the season. I thought, I have this turkey hunting down pat now !!!! It was two years later before I killed another one. ::huh:

Arrow3

I like to think Im a senior...Reality probably says im a sophmore or junior...I know for a fact im not a freshman...I killed my first gobbler by myself at age 15...Im fixing to be 29 now and ive killed at least one gobbler a year (one jake) every year since...In the last 4 years with a possible of 12 birds, ive killed 11 longbeards..one with 4 beards...3 with 1 1/2 inch spurs...I had the chance to make it 12 for 12 but passed on several jakes the year I only killed 2...A couple other years I killed 2 birds in a season and one a season in my early years...Each bird I kill teaches me a little something about killing the next one...One problem im running into is places to turkey hunt...My honey holes of years past are gone and its hard to find new ones...I take pride in my turkey hunting too...If I cant call him in, I dont shoot him..My calling isnt even that good compared to some of the people ive heard...While calling is a part of turkey hunting, I dont feel its the most important...Set up by far is the most important aspect of turkey hunting..You cant call a bird to a place he doesnt want to go...Once you figure out how to think like a turkey, you will kill more birds...

Randy

I hope after all these years of doing this that am a senior but as Flinger says there are days when they take me back to grammer school.

Jody Hawk

Arrow3 said:
My calling isnt even that good compared to some of the people ive heard...While calling is a part of turkey hunting, I dont feel its the most important.

Like I've always said Brandon, that cutting and cackling may sound good to the human ear but all you need to kill turkeys is a yelp,cluck and purr. I'm with you on the set up, the set up has cost me more birds than all of my other mistakes combined !!!

Randy

Don't worry arrow, If I knwo turkeys they will humble him this year? Sometimes I go for a long time saying there is nothing to this..........then I have a year like last year when I can buy a shot at one. Course last year I was on the bass tournament trail and that was my excuse!

dbodkin

I voted freshmen but in reality it's pre-schooler ::huh: Never hunted turkey but I'm thinkin about trying it for the 1st time next season.... :rolleyes:

Jeff Phillips

I voted Sophmore, but I agree with ya'll. Many times the birds win and make me look like a fool.

Years ago I called in a bunch of birds for rookies and let them do the shooting. The last few years I've tried to get 1 in front of Hntrchk and we have struggled ::huh: Had hens a yard from her, but still trying to get her a tom!

sniper13

I voted Junior, but I sometimes miss class. :flag:

I voted Junior, but been hunting them a long time.

I've been consistent the last 4 or 5 yrs killing birds.

I got two on Oconee and one on Cedar creek last year.

I kill em on public and private land, in fact I think some of the best turkey hunting is on public land. Last year I couldn't kill one on private land.

DaddyPaul

I voted Sophomore. I hunt almost everyday during the spring but there are days when I feel like I should take the short bus to school. I adopt the theory of being in the woods as much as possible and you are bound to catch "him" on the right day eventually. I overcall all the time and I know that hurts me sometimes, but that is half the fun of going turkey hunting. I like to make some noise.

Gadget

I voted Junior.

I argee with DaddyPaul, the more time you spend in the woods the better your chances. No matter how good you are you will always run into birds that just won't do what you want.

I had my best year last year shooting 6 birds, 3 in Ga and 3 in Nebraska, but I also hunted more than I ever have. Sometimes that's what it takes. I killed the last one May 14, one day before the last day. It's hot and miserable at the end of the season, and the birds usually don't gobble much, but I hung in there.