What's your favorite turkey load? Can I do better?

This is just what I always used. What I can say about it is that it does work and patterns well out of my Super Vinci with a jebs headhunter 660 I'm just curious to see what loads works good for y'all and out of what gun. In your opinion is there a better option for me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,588

hawglips

Banned
Lots of better options out there.

mossyoakpro

Anything besides Remington and anything but #4 shot....with the HTL loads there is no reason to shoot #4's anymore.

Give a try to Hevi-13 in #6 or #7 shot....I believe you will be sold on them after one shot.

JMO....I am sure there are lots of them here, this is just mine ;)

JimLandt

If that load works for you, no need to fix what ain't broke.

I've never needed 3 1/2" to kill 'em. In lead shot, I've always gotten best patterns with Federal 3" #5's, 2 oz using an old Star Dot ported tube. Some other loads, Federal and Win. 1 7/8 oz pattern ok too. I've tried Rem. shells, but they've never been that great in my 870's. Since I switched to Hevi 13 #5's, I get better patterns using Carlson's .665 Hevi-shot, ported tube. That's in Rem. 870 too. I'll be trying out the HS Magnum Blends this year.

harryrichdawg

Lead 6's will kill a bird inside of 40 yards just fine, and you get a lot more pellets in each load. I would recommend Hevi-13 6's or Mag Blends. If you don't want to spend $5 per shot, Winchester Extended Range are about as good as you can get and are only about $2 a shot.

hambone76

Heavyweight 7's. A way higher pellet count from the smaller size shot that weighs the same and hits as hard as a #5.

Trutalk3

Where in the world are you buying Winchester extended range for 2 dollars a shot? Cause ill buy a truck load of them harryrichdog

fishnfool

Where in the world are you buying Winchester extended range for 2 dollars a shot? Cause ill buy a truck load of them harryrichdog
Exactly what I was thinking $38.99 for 10 is the cheapest price I've seen but finding 3" in them is impossible, I've looked 3 months for 3" #6 finally gave up and got hevi shot.

dukslayer10

If your going to be shooting a Jebs Headhunter choke the best shell to get out there would either be a nitro or Hevi-Shot 3 1/2 #7's. If you go shoot with them thats all they will shoot because it is the best that you can get. If your only wanting to shoot lead out of it they told us that out of every lead shot on the market the SpectraShot has out shot all of the other patterns at 40. But spectra Shot is new and as of right now they haven't made any 2 oz. loads and are only available in 3 in. But Sunday we were there all day setting up different guns, and at 30 yards we were putting 240-265 pellets in the 10 with the spectraShot. So If your wanting the best that you can get then I would go with Hevi-Shot.

ts602

I had been upset about Hevi-shot leaking buffer and not being consistent. I tried the preimers and they didn't do to well in my gun,but on the other hand the Remington Nitro's #5 did well. I think you have to try things and see what works for you.

spydermon

for lead loads go to wally world and get the federal turkey thug ammo..great load now and doesnt have the crappy flite control wad...one of..if not the best available..lead loads on the market today.
it may interest you guys to cruise over to olg gobbler or gobbler nation and look around

JimLandt

Lead 6's will kill a bird inside of 40 yards just fine, and you get a lot more pellets in each load. I would recommend Hevi-13 6's or Mag Blends. If you don't want to spend $5 per shot, Winchester Extended Range are about as good as you can get and are only about $2 a shot.

You must have meant Winchester Supreme, at that price. Extended HTL is more like $4/round. If you meant the Supreme, I've know some people who've liked them a lot, but they never shot great in my guns. I went to range last year to compare patterns: Hevi #5's vs Win. Extended Range #5's. Hevi's won in my rig.

Nannyman

Anything besides Remington and anything but #4 shot....with the HTL loads there is no reason to shoot #4's anymore.

Give a try to Hevi-13 in #6 or #7 shot....I believe you will be sold on them after one shot.

JMO....I am sure there are lots of them here, this is just mine ;)

This.

Also the TSS loads from Hawglips. No better shell made. Fact, not up for debate.

Johndoe

M Sharpe

Went this week to Sum-Toy with my Moss. 935. 309 in the 10" circle @ 40 yds. with Heavy-13 #7's 2 1/4 oz.
Shot a Win. Supreme #5 2 1/4 oz through it too to compare penetration. The heavy shot definitely had more.