What do you miss most?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I miss the simple things in the 70's and early 80's like Saturday morning cartoons and then going to do all kinds of stuff with my friends. I miss when going out to eat ANYWHERE was a big deal, even if it was just drive thru McDonalds. Going to a store or the mall or a movie was another big deal that we only did every now and then. It was a simpler and more innocent time when children's innocence was protected and cherished and not subject to politics and arguments about sexuality and gender identity.

sinclair1

I miss the simple things in the 70's and early 80's like Saturday morning cartoons and then going to do all kinds of stuff with my friends. I miss when going out to eat ANYWHERE was a big deal, even if it was just drive thru McDonalds. Going to a store or the mall or a movie was another big deal that we only did every now and then. It was a simpler and more innocent time when children's innocence was protected and cherished and not subject to politics and arguments about sexuality and gender identity.
Just reminded me of watching scooby on Saturday while building models. I always tried to paint the bodies in my room.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I miss my youth.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It suits me if their feelings are hurt by it. The influx of transplants has t changed this state for the better. Not having their precious money is a trade off I would make any day.
my wife and I were talking the other day about wishing we could go back to when there wasn't all these people and places around. When we got married, 365 wasn't going further than Cornelia, and it was 2 lanes that ended there.

Yeah, if we wanted to do much of anything we had to go to Gainesville or Anderson, but I would swap right now to go back to that

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
my wife and I were talking the other day about wishing we could go back to when there wasn't all these people and places around. When we got married, 365 wasn't going further than Cornelia, and it was 2 lanes that ended there.

Yeah, if we wanted to do much of anything we had to go to Gainesville or Anderson, but I would swap right now to go back to that
As soon as peopel decide tourism and retirement communities are good idea the beginning of the end has arrived.

ugajay

I can’t say there’s much that I miss because a lot of my memories center around things I can still do today. So I guess this thread is more about good memories to me.

The sound of beagles on the trail of a rabbit.

Going to the chicken house to get eggs.

Homemade ice cream while we sit on the porch.

Meals cooked on a Coalman stove while we camped.

Stuff that I miss and can’t get back; Fishing with my daddy. A Snicker bar and a cold drink out of the cooler while we fished had a taste I can’t get back now.

Turkey hunting with my daddy as a little kid when a gobbler would go silent and then hearing him whisper in a few minutes, “He’s comin. I see him. Don’t move a muscle.”

Riding four wheelers around fields on a summer day that seemed like it stretched on forever.

Sitting in my granddaddy’s room watching football with him on a cold day. That gas heater would keep you warm in a way central heat won’t. Watching the Braves with him on a hot day with the windows open. I can smell the big jar of lemon water and ice that he would have sitting nearby along with his rolled Prince Albert cigarettes.

Sitting quietly and listening in the dark while my Grandaddy and daddy and uncle sat on the porch at night and talked.

My granny’s pound cake. My wife’s is jam up but my granny’s will never be matched.

Playing baseball in the field behind the house.

I miss the old people. I just miss their outlook and their influence. It was passed on to me but I miss having them around.

Hearing my daddy tell hunting stories. Just his voice calling the names of places. Even though everybody says I sound just like him places like Toteover Creek, Camp Creek, The Bennett Place, Foggy Bottom, even the names of counties right around here just had a sound to them when he talked about them. It sounded better somehow.

The sound of my Aunt Mary Ann’s laugh. She’s old and sick now and I can still get her to laugh sometimes. I need to do that more.

My Uncle Bud spitting Red Man in the fire on a cold night while we camped and turkey hunted.

The way my granny would say “Oh-oooo-oooo!” when a good one would get told on somebody.

The feeling of my granny’s quilts on a cold night.

Dinner on the grounds at church.

Now that I type it out, there’s plenty that we still do like we always did but there’s a lot that I miss because the people are no longer here.
That "oh-oooo-oooo" brought back a flood of memories of my granny and 'Aint P'

Thank you for that

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I`ll tell ya`ll something I don`t miss. Suckering and topping tobacco. If you don`t know, consider yourself lucky. If you do know, boy howdy do you know. I`d rather handload short wood than "sucker baccer".

And that is saying something.
Boy howdy, I know. :)

basstrkr

I miss feeling so good you couldn't hardly stand yourself, and you'd take off running ash fast you could for as ling as you could.

One of the things I would do is run out the back screen door, fling it open and see how far I could get before it slammed.
(Tip: be sure your folks ain't at home.)

georgiabound

QUOTE:Now that I type it out, there’s plenty that we still do like we always did but there’s a lot that I miss because the people are no longer here.

This right here explains it all if you ask me. We all should figure out WHAT and HOW our great/grand/parents did things to leave lasting memories on us so we can leave it for our kids/grandkids.

specialk

My grannie taught me how to play poker. Numerous memories of her sitting at the table with her ziplock bag of coins, an iced rum and coke on a coaster and a cig hanging out the side of her mouth.
she reminds me of an aunt i had back in the day....lady could hold her own in a cuss fight too...

krizia829

My grandmas voice when she said, ya’ll come on lunch is ready. And you could be sure it was gonna be some fine eating fresh from their garden.
Rambling through the woods and fields all day with a .22 and fishing in every pond I could find. Old men at the hunting camp telling lies. My brother who passed away when we were young. No responsibility other than not getting snake bit or drowned.
I don’t feel old or wise enough to be the patriarch of our family line, but here I am. Man, time flies.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother so young.. :(

Shotgun1

I miss so many of the things mentioned here. Growing up in a small GA town in the forties and fifties was great in spite of WW2. I miss my Grandpa's tales around his fireplace in the wintertime. He could rival J.C. Harris when it came to telling a tale. I also miss an Uncle who was a writer. Wish I could have a long conversation with him right now. He never went to college but is the smartest man I ever knew.

TurkeyH90

When I was around elementary age my dad would carry me to a pond fishing and we would always play Poncho and Lefty. That's a pretty good memory.