What do you miss most?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The old country stores where farmers would gather around an old wood heater during winter and talk about farming and the weather and tell jokes and laugh out loud while drinking an RC cola and eating a nab.

Listening to the old men set around the old potbelly stove in the community general store and on my Grandfathers front porch, as they told of hunting turkeys is how I learned the real basics of turkey hunting. As a little boy I would set there for hours listening to them tell tales of hunting turkeys, from the 1890s up through the 1960s. I can still hear them to this day.

TurkeyH90

Eating Bryers vanilla ice cream (or homemade) and watching the Hee Haw and the Statler Bros. Show at my grandparents house. Cooking fish at their house about every other Saturday night and playing Dominoes and Rummy. Eating Sunday dinner after church. My grandpa throwing me a baseball and me and my cousins playing lawn darts. The smell of their yard after the grass was cut and digging through the worm bed....I could go on for a long time.

BeerThirty

Main thing I miss about being a kid is just my state of mind and outlook... The world is your oyster, not a care in the world nor any real responsibilities. The feeling like you have your whole life ahead of you and that it's going to be great. The biggest downer was finding out your dad had a weekend full of chores planned out for you.

But in terms of actual activities, I miss summer breaks. Sleeping in. Mom and dad gone at work, had the whole house to ourselves. Get the chores done and rest of the day was up to our choosing. Ride bikes to friends house. Ride bikes to fishing hole. Ride bikes to swimming hole. Ride bikes through the trails in the public woods.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I can’t say there’s much that I miss because a lot of my memories center around things I can still do today. So I guess this thread is more about good memories to me.

The sound of beagles on the trail of a rabbit.

Going to the chicken house to get eggs.

Homemade ice cream while we sit on the porch.

Meals cooked on a Coalman stove while we camped.

Stuff that I miss and can’t get back; Fishing with my daddy. A Snicker bar and a cold drink out of the cooler while we fished had a taste I can’t get back now.

Turkey hunting with my daddy as a little kid when a gobbler would go silent and then hearing him whisper in a few minutes, “He’s comin. I see him. Don’t move a muscle.”

Riding four wheelers around fields on a summer day that seemed like it stretched on forever.

Sitting in my granddaddy’s room watching football with him on a cold day. That gas heater would keep you warm in a way central heat won’t. Watching the Braves with him on a hot day with the windows open. I can smell the big jar of lemon water and ice that he would have sitting nearby along with his rolled Prince Albert cigarettes.

Sitting quietly and listening in the dark while my Grandaddy and daddy and uncle sat on the porch at night and talked.

My granny’s pound cake. My wife’s is jam up but my granny’s will never be matched.

Playing baseball in the field behind the house.

I miss the old people. I just miss their outlook and their influence. It was passed on to me but I miss having them around.

Hearing my daddy tell hunting stories. Just his voice calling the names of places. Even though everybody says I sound just like him places like Toteover Creek, Camp Creek, The Bennett Place, Foggy Bottom, even the names of counties right around here just had a sound to them when he talked about them. It sounded better somehow.

The sound of my Aunt Mary Ann’s laugh. She’s old and sick now and I can still get her to laugh sometimes. I need to do that more.

My Uncle Bud spitting Red Man in the fire on a cold night while we camped and turkey hunted.

The way my granny would say “Oh-oooo-oooo!” when a good one would get told on somebody.

The feeling of my granny’s quilts on a cold night.

Dinner on the grounds at church.

Now that I type it out, there’s plenty that we still do like we always did but there’s a lot that I miss because the people are no longer here.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I can’t say there’s much that I miss because a lot of my memories center around things I can still do today. So I guess this thread is more about good memories to me.

The sound of beagles on the trail of a rabbit.

Going to the chicken house to get eggs.

Homemade ice cream while we sit on the porch.

Meals cooked on a Coalman stove while we camped.

Stuff that I miss and can’t get back; Fishing with my daddy. A Snicker bar and a cold drink out of the cooler while we fished had a taste I can’t get back now.

Turkey hunting with my daddy as a little kid when a gobbler would go silent and then hearing him whisper in a few minutes, “He’s comin. I see him. Don’t move a muscle.”

Riding four wheelers around fields on a summer day that seemed like it stretched on forever.

Sitting in my granddaddy’s room watching football with him on a cold day. That gas heater would keep you warm in a way central heat won’t. Watching the Braves with him on a hot day with the windows open. I can smell the big jar of lemon water and ice that he would have sitting nearby along with his rolled Prince Albert cigarettes.

Sitting quietly and listening in the dark while my Grandaddy and daddy and uncle sat on the porch at night and talked.

My granny’s pound cake. My wife’s is jam up but my granny’s will never be matched.

Playing baseball in the field behind the house.

I miss the old people. I just miss their outlook and their influence. It was passed on to me but I miss having them around.

Hearing my daddy tell hunting stories. Just his voice calling the names of places. Even though everybody says I sound just like him places like Toteover Creek, Camp Creek, The Bennett Place, Foggy Bottom, even the names of counties right around here just had a sound to them when he talked about them. It sounded better somehow.

The sound of my Aunt Mary Ann’s laugh. She’s old and sick now and I can still get her to laugh sometimes. I need to do that more.

My Uncle Bud spitting Red Man in the fire on a cold night while we camped and turkey hunted.

The way my granny would say “Oh-oooo-oooo!” when a good one would get told on somebody.

The feeling of my granny’s quilts on a cold night.

Dinner on the grounds at church.

Now that I type it out, there’s plenty that we still do like we always did but there’s a lot that I miss because the people are no longer here.

I understand. It's different when you are now one of the Elders.

Resica

I miss my Grandparents. I miss going to Ohio and helping my grandfather in his huge garden, miss picking blackberries for a pie while grandpa was in the garden and finding pheasant nests in the hedgerow dividing fields. Miss drying dishes with my grandmother. Miss sitting and talking with them.
I miss going to reunions and family cemeteries in North Georgia with my other grandfather and meeting elderly relatives.
I miss hunting wild pheasants everywhere here in Pa. as a youth. What a blast it was!!

I grew up on the nature coast of Florida before everything became domesticated. I miss lying in the middle of a field with friends and looking at all the shapes the clouds made. Each one of us would describe what it looked like. I miss my grandparents, I miss my elders. I miss the sense of wonder and amazement. I kept a little "zoo" of captured gopher turtles, snakes and lizards. I miss sitting on Mr. and Mrs. Barber's screened in front porch and helping them shell beans. Mrs. Barber would gently help instruct me with my math homework from school, then we would play gin rummy.

Resica

In addition to missing wild pheasants, I miss not being interested in our Civil War when I lived in a huge gated community in Stafford Va.(Aquia Harbor). North of Fredericksburg and south of D.C. Most of the property wasn't developed there yet. We were right off the Potomac with Aquia Creek right there. Aquia landing was the landing place for the Union, at least during Fredericksburg Campaign and probably longer. We were not at Aquia Landing but..

Government Island was at the bottom of my street, where they got the Limestone , I believe, for the White House and Capitol, used to go check it out but had no idea then.
Dad, brother and I were always arrow head hunting all the time in the back of the neighborhood , found tons of stuff. Found big petrified wood logs. Right down at the waters edge, several times reaching into the sand pulled up unfired Minie balls. There were wooden ships sticking up out of the water too, never gave the civil war a thought. That's a huge regret of mine, being young and not knowing about the war. In hindsight, the stuff we could have found would have been amazing!!!

specialk

I`ll tell ya`ll something I don`t miss. Suckering and topping tobacco. If you don`t know, consider yourself lucky. If you do know, boy howdy do you know. I`d rather handload short wood than "sucker baccer".

And that is saying something.

pulling grounds leaves aint no fun either...

specialk

miss getting off the school bus as a kid with my younger cousin, running to the house, making sandwiches using some weird combo of foods like bolonga/banana, pnut butter/tater chips, potted meat/sliced cheese, etc. then watching gilligans island before heading out doors to some great adventure unless grandaddy had a chore for us....

specialk

i miss checking barns during season...opening the door on a flu-cured stick barn and that warm smell hitting you is like no other smell you've experienced....

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
i miss checking barns during season...opening the door on a flu-cured stick barn and that warm smell hitting you is like no other smell you've experienced....

I`ve got an armload of sticks that haven`t seen a hand of baccer in 40 years, but that distinctive smell is still in them. :)

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
My grandmas voice when she said, ya’ll come on lunch is ready. And you could be sure it was gonna be some fine eating fresh from their garden.
Rambling through the woods and fields all day with a .22 and fishing in every pond I could find. Old men at the hunting camp telling lies. My brother who passed away when we were young. No responsibility other than not getting snake bit or drowned.
I don’t feel old or wise enough to be the patriarch of our family line, but here I am. Man, time flies.

Core Lokt

I miss staying 2-3 week every Summer with my grandparents. They were next door neighbors. I also miss not having a worry in the world. When it was time to get home dad would whistle and I could hear it anywhere just about.

Go-carts, I must of had 4 or so. Ran all of them to the dirt. Wore several bicycles out as well.

Dad got me into hunting at a very early age and I look back on that too. Did the same with our girls.

sinclair1

Not needing to take vacation time just to rest. It’s been 36 years getting after it, started around 20 yrs old with a serious job and ready for the clock with no hands like all the retired folks here