16 gauge Rem 870 Express

hiawassee1

I am going by memory(model of shotgun), here at work, but I bought this shotgun a few years back for rabbit hunting. Is it feasible to set it up for turkey hunting. I have looked online and dont see any options for a choke for the 16 guage, maybe I am overlooking, but mainly see 12 and 20. Where can I order one? Anyone have an extra laying around? Also, what about shells, are they available, and what would you recommend? Thanks, havent really ever turkey hunted, but just trying to use what I have to enjoy the woods this spring.

swalker1517

As far as shells, you're gonna be hard pressed to find any specificly for turkey. A friend of mine hunted with a 16 ga several years ago and was using either pheasant or duck loads cause he couldn't find any anywhere.

hiawassee1

yah thats what I noticed too. Wonder why 16 is not a popular turkey gun? May just have to borrow my FIL 12 guage, hate doing that but just dont have the funds to buy a turkey gun, and havent really gotten into it yet.

Timber1

BANNED
Is your 16 threaded for a choke tube? Never seen one that was. I have a 20 guage liteweight A5 magnum that I bought an extra barrel for and sent to ballistic specialties to have threaded and tubed for turkeys. I also have a liteweight Belgium made 16 SxS choked full and full that I bought to hunt with. Shells, as some else said are the issue. High brass six's are what I shoot out of it for turkey.

JimLandt

If you can't justify the $ of going the custom ammo/choke route:

Here's a link for reasonably priced 16 ga. Rem. turkey choke tubes: http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=11780 The 2 at the top of the page. I'd lean toward the tighter .600 constriction.

Hevi-shot Duck (41606) 1 1/4 oz, 16ga in #6 @ 1300 fps would make a potent little turkey load, if you stay within the range of your pattern. $40/box of 10. Also available at lg. Order the pure Hevi-shot though, not the Hevi-metal, with part steel. I doubt the choke could handle any steel. They say they handle steel through Improved Mod. constriction. They're all 17-4 PH stainless, so should be fine for Hevi. Might actually be quite wicked turkey loads in your 16...

If it's a 16 gauge 870 "Express", it should have Rem. choke threading. I hope I'm right about that. Good luck.

Last edited:

Canesfan

16 Ga

I also have a very old Remington 16 ga 870 pump Wingmaster that I inherited from my grandfather. I use standard #4s from Remington, and it is very effective. But, I am limited to under 20 yards since the barrel is an improved cylinder. The rounds can be purchased at Bass Pro Shop.

JimLandt

Also, Federal makes a copper plated lead pheasant load, 1 1/4 oz. @ 1260 fps. Go with #6 for more pellets on the target. It's 25/box @ about $25. It's a cheaper load to test a few patterns before testing the Hevi. With the .600 choke, they might rival 20 ga 3" premium lead turkey loads. The Hevi-shot duck #6 is your best hunting load option I've seen though. Hevi patterns better than lead with more serious thump/penetration down range. You might get a solid 40+ yard killing range, if you work on it. You should easily be able to kill a tom with your 16, if you can call him into range.

WFL

You have about 3 that make chokes. Now I have seen a Nitro in 16 but it was only a 11/4. It did not impress me like most the loads they fix.