Ideas on a night light

SarahFair

I have a glass insulator, the same as the ones in the picture, that Id like to sit on a base and become a night light to give my dad for xmas.

My original idea was to use a candelabra socket mounted on a circular wooden base where the insulator can just be lifted off to change the bulb.

My only issue is there would need to be some kind of "nesting " base for the insulator to sit in to keep from sliding around.
I have no kind of wood working skills or tools, aside from a scroll saw, so I don't think i can achieve that.

Do yall have any ideas for a base?

Another issue I'm worried about is the light heating the glass in such a small area with no sort of "escape".
Do yall forsee this being a problem (aside from glass getting hot to touch)?

cd_145_creb_narrow.jpg

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
blowing the bulb would be a concern of mine. The heat wont be its friend. You might try led light, since they don't give off near the heat.

You need to find someone with a wood lathe to cut a recess for the base, or cut a 1/4 piece of plywood in a circle that would fit inside the insulator, and glue it to the base.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I have no solution at this time, but I like your idea, Sarah! :cool:

SarahFair

I have no solution at this time, but I like your idea, Sarah! :cool:
Thanks!

blowing the bulb would be a concern of mine. The heat wont be its friend. You might try led light, since they don't give off near the heat.

You need to find someone with a wood lathe to cut a recess for the base, or cut a 1/4 piece of plywood in a circle that would fit inside the insulator, and glue it to the base.
Duh Sarah, LED..

Thanks for the ideas

Anvil Head

I second the LED. Hard to beat. Can even have fun with it by using a battery to run it.....no cord to plug in. They can also be found in the alternating color configuration and solar powered. Just recycle one of those butterfly things you can stick in the yard.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Back in the day I climbed past a lot of those little insulators and never paid em any mind. I reckon I should have collected the things.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
those things bring a pretty penny now days Nic. You could have retired on them if you had collected them over the years. I understand the clear ones bring a bit more than the blue one.

SarahFair

I cant move the clear ones at the price I get for the blue ones.
Find unique colors like carnival, purple, etc and they go for a pretty penny.

SarahFair

I just saw one where they used 3 "tacks" that would pretty much hold it in place from the inside.

I think Im going to go that route since its so close to xmas (less hassle and cheaper)

I just need to find a base.
Where would they sell wooden round bases?
I feel like Ive seen something similar somewhere

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I knew I was slightly colorblind..... but y'all call them blue and I call them green. I guess it's worse than I thought.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Craft shop for base - might could use a wooden wheel.

SarahFair

SarahFair

I knew I was slightly colorblind..... but y'all call them blue and I call them green. I guess it's worse than I thought.

They are aqua, slightly blue, slightly green :D

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
So before I go ordering things I dont need this is my list

Wooden base, the 5" / 6"
http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=1&cid=13&scid=453

Candelabra socket, Option A
1 5/8" in height
http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=1&cid=27&scid=25

Cord, Option A
SPT-1 #18/105° Wire
Stripped ends are 5/8"L
and Tinned at the Tip
http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=1&cid=1&scid=3

Are you still going LED? I've got 6 of those insulator's, may make one myself.

SarahFair

Yeah, I guess Ill get the LED at home depot

280bst

I know you said you don't have any wood working skills--but if you know some one with a Router you can place the insulator on the base pencil around the outside of the glass take the router with the right bit and follow the circle set @ quarter inch deep when done the insulator would set in it Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Old Winchesters

do a youtube search for insulator DIY light kit....