Your Favorite Multi-Tool?

hayseed_theology

So what's your favorite multi-tool?

My dad always used the original Leatherman. I inherited my grandfather's original Leatherman, and I still use it some. Had a Leatherman Micra for a while, but I'm not sure where it got off to. Also had a Gerber and various cheap Chinese knockoffs.

I haven't found own one that I absolutely loved. The original Leatherman is serviceable, but it feels weak when twisting with the pliers.

A lot of folks seem to like the Leatherman Skeletool and the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit. What say you?

Artfuldodger

I work with a few guys who wear them and swear by them. I've never found one I'm super fond of either. They are all just a little awkward to use. I think there have been many improvements since the first Leatherman came out.

They are useful to keep in tackle boxes and glove compartments. I mostly carry a pocket knife, regular pair of pliers, a 6-1 screwdriver, and a crescent wrench at work.

I use the multitools more for camping and fishing than actual work.

Robert28

I'll be following this. I want to get one to leave in the console of my truck. I have seen Gerber and Leatherman at Walmart but didn't know if that was their "cheap version" or what. Local hardware store seems to carry better versions of both makes along with other brands(more variety and more expensive). Walmart seems to carry them in the $9.99-$40 range.

Big7

The Oracle
A vendor gave me one many years ago.

I didn't even know they existed.

Still have the original Leatherman and belt sheath.
Yep.. I do use it often during hunting and fishing season.

transfixer

I've got two Gerbers I bought off the Snapon truck many years ago, at the time I thought I just had to have em, one for the console in my truck and one to put on my belt, truth be known I probably never used them more than 2 or 3 times, now one of them is in my wintertime emergency backpack I keep in the truck during cold weather, and I'm not sure where the other one is,,,, for me it was just easier to use the right tools than to fool with one of those.

lonewolf247

I'd say the Leatherman would be my favorite multi-tool. I agree with "transfixer", it's not the first tool of choice, I'd go grab for, when I have access to all my tools. However, it has bailed me out many times, when I didn't have access to anything else!

blakely

Gerber, I used to carry one every day. When your holding something with one hand, it's easy to extend the pliers from the handle with a snap of the wrist. Working in a welding shop, I constantly used mine.

jeardley

I've had a gerber for 6-7 years that I'm happy with. It's not an everyday tool but has come in handy a time or two. I keep it in my truck console and usually grab it when going fishing. It saved me this past weekend when one of my reels got in a bind, was able to take it apart and clean the grit out of the gears that I have no idea how it got in there in the first place

Mr Warren

Banned
I've had a Leatherman for a lot of years and it is always on my belt when fishing in the boat - it is real handy for quick fixes - plus, I use it to remove hooks. When not on the boat it is in the truck console. Never had a problem with it. I used to carry it when hiking in the mountains of New Hampshire too. I also have a cheap knock off that someone gave me that lives in the house. I like em!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've owned more than a few Gerbers and 2 or 3 Leathermans. They each have their pros and cons. The Gerber's one hand opening is its biggest pro. Lots of times, you've only got one free hand and the ability to open it with the flick of your wrist is great. However, I've always felt that the Leatherman is perhaps of a higher quality. It can be a pain to open, but I think its tougher. And the saw blade on a Leatherman is second to none.

Mr Warren

Banned
I've owned more than a few Gerbers and 2 or 3 Leathermans. They each have their pros and cons. The Gerber's one hand opening is its biggest pro. Lots of times, you've only got one free hand and the ability to open it with the flick of your wrist is great. However, I've always felt that the Leatherman is perhaps of a higher quality. It can be a pain to open, but I think its tougher. And the saw blade on a Leatherman is second to none.
That saw blade is wicked for sure!!! When I was on the mountain trails - I used mine to cut saplings for hiking staffs - Made quick work of it.

Mauser

I don't use one much,but Kevin carries a Gerber everyday. The gin have us a leatherman a while back. And the Gerber is sturdier feeling and like some have mentioned the flick of the wrist opens it. I have no idea which leatherman the gin gave us,it is brand-name though. My .02 is Gerber, if you want to put your hands on both I'll bring em to you.

state159

I've owned several original Leathermans and wore them out from daily use. I've owned several Leatherman Blast and use that one everyday now and love it; I don't think the Blast is made anymore. I did buy a Leatherman Wave last week and it is high quality and feels great. My experience has only been with Leathermans because I like them a lot.

Bigtimber

Gerber, I used to carry one every day. When your holding something with one hand, it's easy to extend the pliers from the handle with a snap of the wrist. Working in a welding shop, I constantly used mine.

Yep BIG plus for me.

hayseed_theology

I don't use one much,but Kevin carries a Gerber everyday. The gin have us a leatherman a while back. And the Gerber is sturdier feeling and like some have mentioned the flick of the wrist opens it. I have no idea which leatherman the gin gave us,it is brand-name though. My .02 is Gerber, if you want to put your hands on both I'll bring em to you.

That'd be cool. I wouldn't mind holding them in my hand. No rush. I am not planning on buying something tomorrow or anything.

Jake Allen

I like the Leatherman Wave. The size is good, the blades lock and can be opened without opening the tool, the bits are replaceable and the pliers and wire cutter will get the job done.

GoldDot40

I've carried and used a Gerber 400 Compact Sport everyday for the last 10 years. Only thing wore out about it is the sheath. I'd have another one in a heartbeat.

joepuppy

I carried the Gerber in the Army, but now on the fire line I prefer the original Leatherman.

Wycliff

I have the leatherman tread, and the original leatherman . I like both but I always have the tread on.

biggdogg

I have a Leatherman Wave and a Skeletool. I like them both, but the Skeletool is always on my belt.