Chainsaws...what is your favorite saw?

Oldstick

You can buy new OE (a lot are Walbro) carbs for a lot of small equipment for 25-30 online these days too.

I fixed a Poulan saw, several weedeaters, a go-cart, pressure washer, etc. lately by replacing a the carb. Became a BIG believer in non-ethanol gas after these experiences.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Just the opinion of someone who has used chainsaws on an almost daily basis for decades: Husky or Stihl, commercial grade. Echo used to make good saws, but every newer one I have used is pretty much junk for the last ten years or so.

Ever now and then you might luck up and get a good Poulan or some such-I have a Poulan that is several years old with no problems, but it wouldn't stand up to daily use. In general, Husky or Stihl, and stay away from the "homeowner grade" ones from Lowe's or Home Depot.

BAMM!

I've got a Poulan that will stand up to daily use. It's an old heavy 53A bow saw. Obviously, the only thing I use it for is to saw logs. I lift it up and set it down, repeat....repeat....repeat.

The only plastic on this thing is the gas and oil caps, even has a manual oiler. It will flat out saw some logs, big ones. Speaking of which, I've got 15 that need sawing now.

Thyis thing turns up some rpm's and you can hear it into the next county or two. :D Must wear ear muffs.....

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 378

Cmp1

BANNED
BAMM!

I've got a Poulan that will stand up to daily use. It's an old heavy 53A bow saw. Obviously, the only thing I use it for is to saw logs. I lift it up and set it down, repeat....repeat....repeat.

The only plastic on this thing is the gas and oil caps, even has a manual oiler. It will flat out saw some logs, big ones. Speaking of which, I've got 15 that need sawing now.

Thyis thing turns up some rpm's and you can hear it into the next county or two. :D Must wear ear muffs.....

Can you still purchase them?

specialk

stihl

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
BAMM!

Whoa! Blast from the past! Those things are bad to the bone.:cool:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I spent half my formative years cranking my guts out on an assortment of old Homelites and McCulloughs. I wouldn't give you $5 for a dumptruck load of either one of them.

Patriot44

Banned
BAMM!

My godfather is 85 and still (no pun intended) is a Stihl man through and through. He just a few weeks ago purchased a new easy start Stihl with and 18" bar.

He has one that is a 70 something 044 Farm Boss with a 3/8 chain. If you can crank it and are man enough to handle it, my god! Sounds like a stock car when its running.

I ran one of those for a summer during high school. If you don't cut your leg off and figure out how to properly let it use itself, that's a bad saw!!

Cmp1

BANNED
My godfather is 85 and still (no pun intended) is a Stihl man through and through. He just a few weeks ago purchased a new easy start Stihl with and 18" bar.

He has one that is a 70 something 044 Farm Boss with a 3/8 chain. If you can crank it and are man enough to handle it, my god! Sounds like a stock car when its running.

I ran one of those for a summer during high school. If you don't cut your leg off and figure out how to properly let it use itself, that's a bad saw!!

That easy start is nice,,,, the older stuff is always great,,,,

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Seriously, back to the OP of this thread.....keep your eyes open @ yard sales and flea markets for older chainsaws. There's some good ones to be had out there that are old and heavy, but are very good saws once rebuilt or running properly. even if they are missing some part/parts, most can be found.

Sometimes you can even find ones that are practically brand new. Some guy with more $$$ than sense will sell it for little or nothing because it won't crank.

Dude gave me a lawnmower once practically brand new because the pull rope was broke. :bounce: :bounce:

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've got an old Stihl 029 Farm Boss, for no more wood than I cut anymore, it's a gracious plenty.

Still 461 all the way. Hands down best saw ever. $1000 brand new, and ours is run daily. It never screams uncle. While you are looking for used, keep an eye out for a saw made by EFCO. It's a red saw made in Germany. They are tuff, too. I ran one for a year until some knucklehead straight gassed it. I don't know where to get them now

GunnSmokeer

I've run only cheap saws for the last 25 years that I've been doing my own tree clearing and firewood-collecting around my hunting property and my home spread. Granted, I've gone through 3 of them over the years and am working on my 4th one now, which is well-worn, but still working. When they need any real repair from a shop, I just discard them and buy a new one for $99 - $159. Always on sale.
I started with a 14" saw, then a 16", and finally two 18" bar saws. They're barely powerful enough when the wood is hard or too dry, or when I'm cutting at bad angle and there is some binding going on in the smaller limbs.

Now, I could have spent $400 for a good saw 25 years ago and it might still be working today with no repairs, just ordinary maintenance. But, I ended up spending about $400 anyway, and I've always had a running but cheap saw handy. McCollough, Homelite, Poulan, etc.

I'm not sure which is the better way to go.

My brother cuts a lot more wood than I do, and he uses Stihl for himself, but he buys cheap $99 saws as back-ups for his sons and his hired landscaper to use. So, even he recognizes they have a purpose and fill a need for a fair price.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Husky is the best saw.

Poulans make great boat anchors :biggrin2:

rospaw

Stihl is my go to for a day cutting.... ms250. BUT.... I have a makita 18" bar gas saw that will flat out cut! Swedish built and a very impressive saw for it's sizes/wieght. Also a 2 pull saw.
I am a chainsaw saw junky with about 15 stihls, half dozen Husky's and boat loads of old saws including bows. I have always liked how the stilhs crank. If it hasn't cranked in 3 pulls ..... something is wrong even the old 090's / 077's.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Stihl is my go to for a day cutting.... ms250. BUT.... I have a makita 18" bar gas saw that will flat out cut! Swedish built and a very impressive saw for it's sizes/wieght. Also a 2 pull saw.
I am a chainsaw saw junky with about 15 stihls, half dozen Husky's and boat loads of old saws including bows. I have always liked how the stilhs crank. If it hasn't cranked in 3 pulls ..... something is wrong even the old 090's / 077's.

Know where to go to get an older inexpensive saw now. :yeah:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I had a chance yesterday to run a new Husky 545, labeled a contractor/landowner saw. It only weighs 10lbs and it was fantastic. If you aren't making a living with a chainsaw, that would be a good choice.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I had a chance yesterday to run a new Husky 545, labeled a contractor/landowner saw. It only weighs 10lbs and it was fantastic. If you aren't making a living with a chainsaw, that would be a good choice.

10 lbs....Wow!

My 36 with chain and bar weighs about 16lbs., I believe.