Stihl Chain Saw

SWAMPFOX

I'm in the market for a new Stihl MS 250 chain saw but I found out that the MS 250 has been replaced by the MS 251. I have found a couple of new MS 250s in my area around $350 each. I'm thinking of buying one because the MS 250 is about one pound lighter than the MS 251 and with my shoulder issues that's a big deal at my age.

My concern is that with the MS 250 no longer being made, what is gonna be the situation with spare parts for the MS 250. Will they continue to be stocked and if so for how long?

Thanks

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I'm in the market for a new Stihl MS 250 chain saw but I found out that the MS 250 has been replaced by the MS 251. I have found a couple of new MS 250s in my area around $350 each. I'm thinking of buying one because the MS 250 is about one pound lighter than the MS 251 and with my shoulder issues that's a big deal at my age.

My concern is that with the MS 250 no longer being made, what is gonna be the situation with spare parts for the MS 250. Will they continue to be stocked and if so for how long?

Thanks
I’d ask the dealer those questions with a straight face.

I’d ask the dealer those questions with a straight face.
Would a stihl electric chain saw work for your needs ? A lot lighter than any gas saw. They cut awesome too .. better than you think . My buddy as an electric husqurvana I use it more than my ms291 stihl. Why ? Because the weight ! Unless I am doing some serious cutting I would rather use the electric ..

basshappy

BANNED

Thanks

Sound practice to invest in spare parts for whatever you invest in. Same day you buy your chainsaw pick up / order spares. You may be surprised to find out how many parts are out of stock backordered. Firearms, tools, etc. Get the parts so when you need them you already have them.

earlthegoat2

Stihl has been producing and Stihl dealers have been selling both the MS250 and MS251 for several years now. It would be easy to think the 251 is replacing the 250 but do you have pretty decisive evidence of this? I mean, it was bound to happen some time. I was expecting both of them to be replaced when the time came by an MS252 or some such.

If this is so, Stihl will continue to support it for some time. I can still get some parts for my 024 AVS that was made in West Germany. My MS 660 is still fully supported and it was made in 1999.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have an electric saw and it works great. Very light weight which gives me better control, less tiring which equates to safer operation.

Big7

The Oracle

Thanks
They will have part and the warranty will still be good.

When they do a model change they normally don't change much, especially anything that involves the engine.

It's normally something utilitarian or something to make look or sell better.

You are doing right looking at Stihl if you are looking for the long haul. They are the best money can buy. Husqvarna makes a very good saw too and they are generally a little faster in the same size saw but Stihl will last the average person a very long time if you take care of it.

earlthegoat2

Usually model changes coincide with new EPA regulations in the US. It is also the reason many Stihl products are released overseas long before they reach the us market. It is usually a long process to get a new item like these approved by the EPA whereas the process is much quicker across the world since most of them have comparatively looser environmental standards.

US versions will have different tuning in the form of a different ignition module, different fuel delivery through the injectors or carb, and sometimes different port timing in the cylinder.

There is still a huge market for older Stihl saws in countries like Australia where they were still sold long after they could not be sold in the us. Huge old school saws like the 090 and 075 are still in common use out there for timber falling. Even though there are objectively better saws out there, there is still a market for huge and dirty torque machines.

Knotmuch

I own both the of those models (250 & 251). The main difference is the 251 has the anti-vibration system and the 250 does not. Both run like a scalded dog!

Baroque Brass

My MS250 has served me well. I’ve replaced the fuel line and carburetor and that’s been it. So far parts have been easy to find. I don’t notice excess vibration but I’ve not used the 251. I used the neighbor’s Echo and was impressed. If I was shopping, I’d look at Echo too.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Ive got the farm boss 271. Last few weeks its been rode hard and put up wet! All I gotta do is keep the chain sharp. It'll run a 20" bar, but I keep an 18" on it mostly, cooked a jug on the 251 I had. Ran it too hard...my fault.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ive got the farm boss 271. Last few weeks its been rode hard and put up wet! All I gotta do is keep the chain sharp. It'll run a 20" bar, but I keep an 18" on it mostly, cooked a jug on the 251 I had. Ran it too hard...my fault.
The 271s are my workhorses here at work. Great saw.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Stihl is all we use around our farm. Haven't tried any of the battery stuff, I'm afraid my ancestors would come up out of the grave and get me.
View attachment 1255017
I run my department at work with mostly Stihls, and a couple Huskies. We bought one of those electric Stihls a couple years ago, and it's actually a good little saw. Electrics will never replace gas-powered saws for the heavy lifting, but it's a great little trim saw and great for small jobs. My arborists love it when they're in a bucket truck.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I run my department at work with mostly Stihls, and a couple Huskies. We bought one of those electric Stihls a couple years ago, and it's actually a good little saw. Electrics will never replace gas-powered saws for the heavy lifting, but it's a great little trim saw and great for small jobs. My arborists love it when they're in a bucket truck.
Exactly. Every saw has its place. The real question when buying a saw is what will it be used for.

Knotmuch

Just picked up a Stihl ms170 yesterday from the pawn shop for $135 OTD. I bet it didn't have 2 hours on it from the condition. Cranked up in 3 pulls when I tried it, before buying.

Liberty

There at an awful lot of 250’s including mine that will have aftermarket support for decades. For my use it’s the perfect balance of power to weight (firewood and light homesteading). The 250 was still recently in production due to demand, and I think they will be keeping it for as long as the demand is there if the epa doesn’t shut it down. The only downside to the saw is that the oiler hole in the bar gets clogged up after 2 or 3 hours cutting. Just run it dry after use if it doesn’t get used regularly and keep the air filter cleanish.

Latest posts