Old school cast iron.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As for cleaning cast iron-I've spent decades experimenting. Here is the deal.

I've seen people say don't put water in your pan. Bull. Crap. It not only doesn't hurt the seasoning, it is necessary to actually get it clean. Don't boil water in there for twenty minutes, but don't be afraid to clean them with hot water in the sink.

I run scalding hot water in mine and wipe it out. That's usually all that is needed. If there is any crud from some sauce or whatever, I hit it lightly with a stainless steel scrubby pad, then wipe it with paper towels. Then hit it with a light coat of olive oil wiped on with a paper towel. I haven't had to re-season one in about ten years. Mine are as slick as baby's butts.

MOTS

Thanks fellows. NCH I'll try that, it was my wife's fathers. I'd like to season and move it into storage. Fine Black Widow was in in it when I flipped it up...lol

Reactions: Dub

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Ok. I asked H22 to pick he's favorite cast iron to post. We've got LOTS. He picked his 3 favorites. 1st is cornbread pan. His granddaddy bought when his daughter got engaged. 2nd is the Wagner pasted down to me from my great grand ma to my grand ma and to me. 3rd H22 dug up setting a power pole in the late 80's on Beaver Ruin Road in Norcross. Buried 6 ft. deep. It's his favorite. cornbread.jpggrandmamas.jpgall.jpg

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Oh and H22 didn't want me to post the pick of the several quilts we have. I think he's Grandmama wanted a girl. My mama made Cody an American flag. No pics. He has it.

Attachments

• Quilt. .jpg
    Quilt. .jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 24

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Oh and I bought the quilt rack for H22's quilt at my parents estate sale.

Nugefan

Ok. I asked H22 to pick he's favorite cast iron to post. We've got LOTS. He picked his 3 favorites. 1st is cornbread pan. His granddaddy bought when his daughter got engaged. 2nd is the Wagner pasted down to me from my great grand ma to my grand ma and to me. 3rd H22 dug up setting a power pole in the late 80's on Beaver Ruin Road in Norcross. Buried 6 ft. deep. It's his favorite. View attachment 940710View attachment 940711View attachment 940712
I have 1 old Wagner myself ... the other 2 are nameless....

jigman29

Last count I have around 15 pieces of cast. We keep 3 in the stove for cookinf the rest are put up. We have the dedicated cornbread skillet, a large 12" griswold that my buddy greginclayton gave me thats one of my favorites. and a 10. I have a few dutch ovens that get a little use as well.
I' with hillbilly about washing them. I have washed mine for years and it hurts nothing. Just dont soak them and always wipe a little oil in them when done.
I have started using the flax seed oil to season mine and like it better than lard or crisco. It makes a harder shell and seems to hold up better.

panfish

Iv got several. But I have a Wagner I went head first in a dumpster for. I really like it. I seen the guy throw it in. I ask if that was cast iron. He said yes. But it was no good with out a lid. Smh

ditchdoc24

I got into cast iron about 2-3 years ago and probably have 20-30 pieces so far. My parents never used it when I was growing up so I didn't really know much about it. Most of my stuff comes from yard sales and Estate sales. I have one modern Lodge skillet, probably close to a dozen BSR and old Lodge skillets as well as a couple of chicken fryers. I also have a couple of dutch ovens but my skillets are used almost daily. It's also turned into something I can share with my mother-in-law since I do a lot of the cooking around my house. I came across a nice enameled skillet at a yard sale and gave it to my mother-in-law. The vintage cast iron is smoother and usually less expensive than the new stuff, so that's usually what I look for.

Dub

Every now and again I'll get a stubborn spot on the cooking surface of my cast iron skillets & ovens....especially the ovens for some reason (lower use....less seasoning developing....and my penchant for using them for desserts & whatnot).

Are those chain mail things okay to use on them with hot water ?

I've always wanted some chain mail armor........never considered it for cooking purposes, though. :rofl:

I'm trying to build an "heirloom" set that my son will have fond memories eating from.....and it'll come back to him down the road when he's feeding his kids & hopefully grandkids with them.

Don't want to screw it up.

Jester896

Senior Clown
My baby gurl just asked me to make or find her a 10" skillet. I have 2 smaller ones that I got from my Grandmother that the only thing that has ever been cooked in them is conebread and they have caramelized sugar a number of times. Have many pieces myself.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Every now and again I'll get a stubborn spot on the cooking surface of my cast iron skillets & ovens....especially the ovens for some reason (lower use....less seasoning developing....and my penchant for using them for desserts & whatnot).

Are those chain mail things okay to use on them with hot water ?

I've always wanted some chain mail armor........never considered it for cooking purposes, though. :rofl:

I'm trying to build an "heirloom" set that my son will have fond memories eating from.....and it'll come back to him down the road when he's feeding his kids & hopefully grandkids with them.

Don't want to screw it up.
Yes, they work fine. So do those chain-mail-looking stainless steel scrubby things that you get at Walmart for about a tenth of what Lodge charges.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite modern cast iron is a 10" Lodge deep pan that I bought at Mast General Store about twenty years ago. It's nearly as deep as a Dutch oven, but it has a flat bottom and a handle like a frying pan. I use it constantly for deep-frying, and it also is perfect for making a pot of jambalaya and suchlike things.

I also have a modern 10" Lodge dutch oven that I bought at the Lodge outlet in Pigeon Forge about ten years ago. I use it pretty frequently. I need me a bigger one, too. And I want some of those little ear-of-corn cornbread pans. And a big ribbed grill pan.

Cast iron is as addictive as crack cocaine. :bounce:

VANCE

my internets is not sooo great at my house but here are some pics i managed to get uploaded

2v2JdZBZzxurAoi.jpg

2v2JdZYuzxurAoi.jpg

2v2JdZPS2xurAoi.jpg

sorry for the blurry pic...ive never seen one w/ textured sides
2v2JdZDTuxurAoi.jpg

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Here’s a few of mine, also have a Dutch oven that came with a set a great friend of mine gave me for a wedding gift. That top right one is flat and was my Grandma’s. If I could have one more piece of hoe cake (fried biscuit) cooked by that woman my life would be complete. It is my prized possession from her. She taught me how to cook using cast iron and I make a pretty good buttermilk biscuit, but her biscuits and chicken and dumplings were famous.

Attachments

• 63BED953-591B-4B42-9290-CC1F6D7C6E27.png
    63BED953-591B-4B42-9290-CC1F6D7C6E27.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 18