What's an awesome caliber that can deliver on a 24" barrel?

Jester896

Senior Clown
The RUM holds about 10 more grains of powder for right at the same performance of the 28...doesn't it?...it could be that whole efficiency thing revisited with the .30-06 and .308 if you compare 175 gr boolits....3200 fps is fast

Ray357

AWOL
The RUM holds about 10 more grains of powder for right at the same performance of the 28...doesn't it?...it could be that whole efficiency thing revisited with the .30-06 and .308 if you compare 175 gr boolits....3200 fps is fast
28 Nosler is more efficient than 7 Rum. 7 Wsm is more efficient than 28 Nosler. 280 AI is probably the most efficient big game 7.

Buckstop

If I was building one and staying at 24", I'd probably go 6.5 CM and be done. Hard to beat the availability of ammo and quality reloading components. Couple others might be 6.5x47, 7/08 or 260 Rem.

I do have a rem sendero in 25/06 that was cut down to 24" after re-barreling with a 1 in 10 Brux that shoots great. Only a nominal loss of velocity and still freaky accurate.

Nimrod71

My option would be a 338/378. I purchased one of these several years back to hunt Kodiak Brown bear. It bites at both ends but it will get the job done. Another good choice is a 375 H. & H. Mag. I had one a few years back and was a good shooter. If you are a reloader you can really make the 375 fit the game, I killed several white tail deer with it.

tr21

i've found that a .50 bmg with a 20in barrel will do most of what i need from squirrel to small deer, but wish i had something with a little more knock down power for larger deer or shots over 200yds.....it seems to loose alot of power past 200yds after going through that 36in oak tree

Ray357

AWOL
My option would be a 338/378. I purchased one of these several years back to hunt Kodiak Brown bear. It bites at both ends but it will get the job done. Another good choice is a 375 H. & H. Mag. I had one a few years back and was a good shooter. If you are a reloader you can really make the 375 fit the game, I killed several white tail deer with it.
338/378 really needs a 26" barrel to shine.

deast1988

6.5prc
6.5RPm

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
My 30/378 is the same way but it is just so much fun to shoot!!!

bilgerat

Senior
I have been wanting a Marlin 338MX in a 24" lever to go with my 308 MX.

Bobby Bigtime

A coworker had a 416-06 made many years ago because he wanted something different. He fell in love with that thing and never looked back.

pacecars

Get a Ruger No 1 and go with a 26 inch barrel and still be shorter than a bolt gun with a 24 inch barrel. He’ll get a custom 28 inch barrel

pacecars

I've always wanted one of these for some reason.
Me too, although I think I read way too much Jon Sundra in my youth because I have always wanted a 7mm JRS

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub