short but scientific vid focusing on Creationist cliches

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I don't think the idea of him is silly. Some of the behaviour associated with the belief in him is.
That’s fine but why should the people exhibiting that behavior care? You’re just some dude.

oldfella1962

I've tried pretty hard to prove the existence of God, if not only in my own mind. I believe that attempting to make the strongest argument for all sides of a contentious topic will yield not only the most well informed, but also the most solidly defensible opinion on it. I know why all the believers believe and why the non-believers don't. Most of the disagreement is on the validity of the evidence because much of the evidence on the side of belief is personal and subjective.
By "the existence of God" I assume that you mean the existence of the Christian God. But here lies - from a former believer but now an atheist's perspective - the problem. The evidence - or even the willingness in considering the evidence - for a "god/creator" as a general concept is an easier sell than the evidence for a specific god. The "all of creation reveals the glory of god" (paraphrasing) actually makes some sense to me. There very well could be a creator of this amazing universe - no reason there couldn't be since humans don't know everything and never will. But when there are countless religions across the planet with vastly differing ancient creation mythology that never matches the reality of how the world and the cosmos function, two things become obvious to me:
1) our current universe/planet could have only been created one time, in one way. Whether by natural or supernatural means, it couldn't have been created at multiple times by multiple gods from multiple religions.
2) since all the religions currently followed claim that their god/gods created everything - and their explanations for how Earth & the cosmos work conflict with modern human understanding, I can only assume that none of the creation myths are accurate, thus they are manmade - a product of their times and places.

Bottom line from my perspective the lack of evidence is not my biggest reservation in not believing in a specific god or gods. Let's take Christianity or Judaism as an example. My biggest reservation is that the only evidence - the Bible itself - conflicts with what I experience and understand when I look around at "god's creation". More evidence is not better evidence if that evidence can be proven to be inaccurate, incomplete, or obviously false and hyperbolic. I know what would happen if God gave Joshua more daylight to continue his successful battle against his enemy. The Bible says that the sun hung in the sky longer or something like that. The only way for the sun to never set (at the latitude where the battle took place) is if the Earth stopped turning. If the Earth ever suddenly went from turning at about 1,000 MPH to zero MPH, we wouldn't be here to discuss it. When the story was written the writers thought that the Earth was the "be all end all" and the stars were just lights in the firmament and heaven was above the firmament. Obviously there are countless other examples where too much information works against the credibility - and acceptability - of the Bible. And if the Bible is the subject of - and the evidence for - the God of that Bible and it can be proven false by the reality that I experience - is it reasonable that I should believe in & worship that God?

But just because one specific manmade god doesn't exist, that doesn't mean that a creator god doesn't exist - or couldn't exist! But so far nobody has provided any evidence for the existence of anything supernatural, let alone a supernatural entity that created the visible universe.

WaltL1

By "the existence of God" I assume that you mean the existence of the Christian God. But here lies - from a former believer but now an atheist's perspective - the problem. The evidence - or even the willingness in considering the evidence - for a "god/creator" as a general concept is an easier sell than the evidence for a specific god. The "all of creation reveals the glory of god" (paraphrasing) actually makes some sense to me. There very well could be a creator of this amazing universe - no reason there couldn't be since humans don't know everything and never will. But when there are countless religions across the planet with vastly differing ancient creation mythology that never matches the reality of how the world and the cosmos function, two things become obvious to me:
1) our current universe/planet could have only been created one time, in one way. Whether by natural or supernatural means, it couldn't have been created at multiple times by multiple gods from multiple religions.
2) since all the religions currently followed claim that their god/gods created everything - and their explanations for how Earth & the cosmos work conflict with modern human understanding, I can only assume that none of the creation myths are accurate, thus they are manmade - a product of their times and places.

Bottom line from my perspective the lack of evidence is not my biggest reservation in not believing in a specific god or gods. Let's take Christianity or Judaism as an example. My biggest reservation is that the only evidence - the Bible itself - conflicts with what I experience and understand when I look around at "god's creation". More evidence is not better evidence if that evidence can be proven to be inaccurate, incomplete, or obviously false and hyperbolic. I know what would happen if God gave Joshua more daylight to continue his successful battle against his enemy. The Bible says that the sun hung in the sky longer or something like that. The only way for the sun to never set (at the latitude where the battle took place) is if the Earth stopped turning. If the Earth ever suddenly went from turning at about 1,000 MPH to zero MPH, we wouldn't be here to discuss it. When the story was written the writers thought that the Earth was the "be all end all" and the stars were just lights in the firmament and heaven was above the firmament. Obviously there are countless other examples where too much information works against the credibility - and acceptability - of the Bible. And if the Bible is the subject of - and the evidence for - the God of that Bible and it can be proven false by the reality that I experience - is it reasonable that I should believe in & worship that God?

But just because one specific manmade god doesn't exist, that doesn't mean that a creator god doesn't exist - or couldn't exist! But so far nobody has provided any evidence for the existence of anything supernatural, let alone a supernatural entity that created the visible universe.
But so far nobody has provided any evidence for the existence of anything supernatural
You mean no evidence that folks on our side of the fence consider as "legitimate" evidence. A believer sees evidence of the Christian God everywhere.
Thats something we (AAAs) are never going to agree on.

oldfella1962

You mean no evidence that folks on our side of the fence consider as "legitimate" evidence. A believer sees evidence of the Christian God everywhere.
Thats something we (AAAs) are never going to agree on.
That is what amazes me about human perception & imagination and how we process and interpret information to form our own concept of "reality" unique to the individual, or sometimes an entire group of like-minded individuals. For example "X" unexpected event occurs - it is witnessed by followers of three different religions, and one atheist. There will most likely be four different explanations for why X event occurred, who is responsible for X event, and the significance of X event in the grand scheme of things - despite all four agreeing on the actual & factual details of X event. :unsure:

WaltL1

That is what amazes me about human perception & imagination and how we process and interpret information to form our own concept of "reality" unique to the individual, or sometimes an entire group of like-minded individuals. For example "X" unexpected event occurs - it is witnessed by followers of three different religions, and one atheist. There will most likely be four different explanations for why X event occurred, who is responsible for X event, and the significance of X event in the grand scheme of things - despite all four agreeing on the actual & factual details of X event. :unsure:
Yep.
And I think thats a part of what makes this forum interesting. All the different perspectives and how folks arrived at those perspectives.

oldfella1962

Yep.
And I think thats a part of what makes this forum interesting. All the different perspectives and how folks arrived at those perspectives.
Good point! And consider how the average person experienced the world around them back in the Bible days compared to now. Even better what will our world be like a couple of thousand years from now? But regardless everything will be filtered through the same Homo Sapiens brain that we have had for tens if not hundreds of thousands of years.

ambush80

That’s fine but why should the people exhibiting that behavior care? You’re just some dude.
I don't think Wesboro members or snake handlers would care. I know for a fact there are believers who consider some of the ideas I put forth worth considering and even discussing.

ambush80

Good point! And consider how the average person experienced the world around them back in the Bible days compared to now. Even better what will our world be like a couple of thousand years from now? But regardless everything will be filtered through the same Homo Sapiens brain that we have had for tens if not hundreds of thousands of years.
Which is why it's so understandable that religious ideas have such a strong effect on the ways that we think.

ambush80

To your points,

1. Multiverse theory would suggest otherwise.

-- I don't completely understand multiverse theory, but from what I think I do, it seems to contradict your point.

2. David Deutsch posits that anything that can be imagined is possible to exist, even the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
A dude telling another dude that he is just some dude and therefore insignificant to other dudes.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
A dude telling another dude that he is just some dude and therefore insignificant to other dudes.
You butthurt again, tough guy? I know how sensitive you are. Seems like a recurring thing with a lot of this bunch. Must be the Godlessness makes y’all so sensitive. :rofl:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
You butthurt again, tough guy? I know how sensitive you are. Seems like a recurring thing with a lot of this bunch. Must be the Godlessness makes y’all so sensitive. :rofl:
Duuuude